Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gardening 2019 Official Thread (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=361437)

Sundancefisher 03-26-2019 01:27 PM

Gardening 2019 Official Thread

Starting up a 2019 gardening thread.

Last year I planted butternut squash, 3 kinds of peas, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, peppers, radishes, parsley, celery, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, tomatoes.

Thunderstorms decimated the squash, zucchini, tomatoes, corn and peppers. Slugs wrecked the Brussel sprouts and cabbage. Maggots took out my radishes. Skunks dug up some potatoes (planted perch under for fertilizer).

So this year I am in preplanning mode. Should do potatoes again for sure. Peas also. May reorganize where I plant.

What are people planning to plant this year? What do you get the best from in Calgary's growing climate?

Let's get some photos as gardens progress.

Cheers

Sun

HunterDave 03-26-2019 01:42 PM

Last year we planted seeds that we bought online from Vessey's and our yields quadrupled. It's well worth paying the little extra to buy good seeds as opposed to the cheap ones in hardware stores. I'll be starting our garden plants any day now.

Erik 03-26-2019 01:48 PM

Awesome thread! I've been starting some flowers in trays. Hoping to do most of my annuals this year by seed. Also hoping to build a small greenhouse this year for the veggies. Lots of ambition, little to no time, so we'll see where I land, but I'm hoping this thread stays active and will be checking in.

Erik 03-26-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3953022)
Last year we planted seeds that we bought online from Vessey's and our yields quadrupled. It's well worth paying the little extra to buy good seeds as opposed to the cheap ones in hardware stores. I'll be starting our garden plants any day now.

Agree! I bought my seeds this year from Stokes seeds. First time using them, so will let you know how it goes.

dodgeboy1979 03-26-2019 03:21 PM

Started my tomatoes, peppers and some bedding flowers the other day in the garage. Can't wait until its time to plant the garden.

omega50 03-26-2019 03:47 PM

In 1992 in Turner Valley as the growing season was so short, I grew my potatoes inside of old scrap tires stacked 4 high with sandy soil packed inside. Two stacks of 4.
Great yields in a small space-greens come up the center.
just roll the tires around the yard to harvest

LeroyvdH 03-26-2019 03:48 PM

Peppers, maters and herbs are up. Leek, cukes and eggplant are giving it too. Going to try ground cherries. The ones you buy at Costco they call them some thing golden berries.

eagleflyfisher 03-26-2019 04:47 PM

Corn which I start early and plant when about 8-10" tall, seem to do well, 2-3 ears per.
Potatoes I grow in a boxes which don't turn out too well, need to reduce ph level? They turn out scabby etc.
Carrots, peas onions, garlic all seem fine.
Few kinds on lettuce.
Bunch of different herbs and 1 big bin of basil.
Zucchini and yellow beans too.

David Henry 03-26-2019 04:50 PM

This year my better half is going to take a run at Jerusalem Artichokes, so it looks like I have to break a little new ground for these guys. Anybody plant these before. David.

Sundancefisher 03-26-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher (Post 3953110)
Corn which I start early and plant when about 8-10" tall, seem to do well, 2-3 ears per.
Potatoes I grow in a boxes which don't turn out too well, need to reduce ph level? They turn out scabby etc.
Carrots, peas onions, garlic all seem fine.
Few kinds on lettuce.
Bunch of different herbs and 1 big bin of basil.
Zucchini and yellow beans too.

Are you in Calgary. I have some extra sulphur.

Do you start garlic from seed?

Sundancefisher 03-26-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3953022)

What is your favourite shucking pea from Vessey?

SamSteele 03-26-2019 05:39 PM

I have quite a few varieties of peppers up, tomatoes, marigolds, petunias, snapdragons. All our herbs from last spring are still growing well inside. Fresh basil, thyme, sage, and oregano all winter was great. The basil is probably 3 feet tall!

HunterDave 03-26-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 3953130)

Last season was the first time going with Vessey's so we've only tried the one shucking pea variety....."Sabre".

We also planted "Sugar Lace" for snap peas that produced nice peas that could be shucked. The best of both worlds I guess.

We were happy with the yield and taste of both varieties.

SamSteele 03-26-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik (Post 3953026)
Agree! I bought my seeds this year from Stokes seeds. First time using them, so will let you know how it goes.

I used Stokes for years and they were great. I ordered from Lindenberg the last couple years and they also did well.

SamSteele 03-26-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 3953130)

We have always grown Green Arrow. They produce well and are nice and sweet.

Etownpaul 03-26-2019 09:06 PM

I grow all the usual culprits, maters,peppers, zucchini, squash,cabbage,peas,beans, rhubarb,garlic,carrots,beets,chard, fennel,dill,tons of cucumbers and potatoes.

I’m trying something new this year called the 3 sisters. You plant a corn stalk along with a pole bean and a ground squash in close proximity. The bean climbs the corn and provides nitrogen, the squash provides ground cover which reduces evaporation and weeds. It also makes good use of limited space since I plant too many plants every year and crowd the garden.

RandyBoBandy 03-26-2019 09:24 PM

This is going to be a great thread!! :)

HunterDave 03-26-2019 09:33 PM

For you guys looking for something different to plant, have a look at Kohlrabi. We love it fresh and sliced right out of the garden, in a salad or cooked. Not hard to grow and it doesn’t take a lot or room. Pick one up at the grocery store and see if it’s your thing.

MountainTi 03-26-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3953385)
For you guys looking for something different to plant, have a look at Kohlrabi. We love it fresh and sliced right out of the garden, in a salad or cooked. Not hard to grow and it doesn’t take a lot or room. Pick one up at the grocery store and see if it’s your thing.

Been growing kohlrabi for more years than I can guess. There is a peeling knife and salt shaker in the wash stand in the garden all summer long. Rarely do they make it to the house...

SamSteele 03-26-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3953385)

Grew it as a kid. Going to give it a try this year. I like throwing different stuff in every year. Last year was muskmelon and watermelons. Muskmelon did well. Watermelon not so much.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e5c18d823e.jpg

trophybook 03-26-2019 09:51 PM

San marzano
Beefsteak
Roma
Rainbow blend for tomatoes

Corno di Toro sweets
Red and yellow habanero for peppers

6 kinds of basil
Rosemary
2 kinds of thyme
Chives
Echinacea
Datura
Artichoke (romanesco)
Peaches n cream

More to come when I have thyme lol

threeforthree 03-26-2019 10:09 PM

1200 pepper plants on the go.

CaberTosser 03-26-2019 10:19 PM

Last year I built two planter boxes that I attached to the fence with strong brackets. each is about 9' long, 12" front to back and 6" or 8" deep. I installed mesh on the fence behind them and planted a variety of peas in them. I'll be doing it again this year (two more) and I will stagger planting to extend production. Lots of peas and beans for us this year, noting quite like freshly picked and cooked yellow and green beans smothered with butter.....

One of them I sized for these elongated window boxes that I have, the other I simply lined with landscape cloth and filled with soil.

eagleflyfisher 03-27-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancefisher (Post 3953118)
Are you in Calgary. I have some extra sulphur.

Do you start garlic from seed?

Close to Calgary, over in dewinton. Is sulfur what is used to reduce ph ? I've got to find that out soon.
Garlic I plant in fall, break apart cloves and plant root down. Have some elephant garlic my mom gave me years back

marlin1 03-27-2019 07:37 AM

carrots , potatoes , parsley, tomatoes , rosemary , Jalapenos, sage and whatever else I can think of or find spice wise . Suggestions for Calgary ? may try garlic if I ever get to it before it snows in the fall

SamSteele 03-27-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlin1 (Post 3953505)
carrots , potatoes , parsley, tomatoes , rosemary , Jalapenos, sage and whatever else I can think of or find spice wise . Suggestions for Calgary ? may try garlic if I ever get to it before it snows in the fall

I have successfully planted garlic in the spring. Your bulbs may not get as big, but it’s something.

owlhoot 03-27-2019 08:55 AM

I plant garlic in the fall and harvest around July. It's coming up now.
I like to grow Parsnips and leave them in all winter, I'm digging them up now and they are SWEET.
Kohlrabi like mentioned are excellent raw but larger or older ones are great steamed in a cream sauce

MountainTi 03-27-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by owlhoot (Post 3953559)
I plant garlic in the fall and harvest around July. It's coming up now.
I like to grow Parsnips and leave them in all winter, I'm digging them up now and they are SWEET.
Kohlrabi like mentioned are excellent raw but larger or older ones are great steamed in a cream sauce

Hard to beat spring Parsnips steamed and covered in butter/brown sugar. Always like leaving some green onions in over winter as well for new ones early on

Sundancefisher 03-27-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleflyfisher (Post 3953493)
Close to Calgary, over in dewinton. Is sulfur what is used to reduce ph ? I've got to find that out soon.
Garlic I plant in fall, break apart cloves and plant root down. Have some elephant garlic my mom gave me years back

I am in south Calgary. PM me if you want some Sulphur. Yes...if will reduce ph.

Sundancefisher 03-27-2019 09:39 AM

I should mention I have a ton of strawberry plants I am going to thin our in the next month or so. In south Calgary if anyone wants some PM me. Need your own containers or bag to take away. Used all my grocery bags on perch. :-)