Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What do you guys think is he a shooter? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252535)

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 10:10 PM

What do you guys think is he a shooter?

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...psirjvloaf.mp4[/IMG]What do you all think, this is my second year bear hunting and still find it hard to judge on trail cam pics alone how big a bear is. This guy have been hitting the bait hard for the past 5 days, When i watch these vids it looks like a big bear to me but im looking for some experienced opinions!!

http://vid288.photobucket.com/albums...psirjvloaf.mp4

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugenuge (Post 2809629)
What do you all think, this is my second year bear hunting and still find it hard to judge on trail cam pics alone how big a bear is. This guy have been hitting the bait hard for the past 5 days, When i watch these vids it looks like a big bear to me but im looking for some experienced opinions!!

Hydro1 04-22-2015 10:14 PM

Nevermind it works.

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 10:15 PM

Sorry its not loading the trail cam video for some reason :angry3:

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...psirjvloaf.mp4[/IMG]

Hydro1 04-22-2015 10:19 PM

From what i can see, not huge by any means but a decent size.
Hard to tell.
You do have the opportunity for two tags, should be some good eating.

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydro1 (Post 2809644)
From what i can see, not huge by any means but a decent size.
Hard to tell.

Guess ill have to kill him and find out haha :sHa_shakeshout:

NBFK 04-22-2015 10:28 PM

Looks like a younger bear.....if his backs over the barrel and wouldn't be able to be stuffed in the barrel it's a big bear. Tough critters to judge. Go sit and look him over.

Secret coulee 04-22-2015 10:28 PM

Yea foresure not quite a mature bear yet hes has very little girth in his body and quite gangly yet like a teenager so to speak the ears are a little much but **** you no if this is the holly grail in your world with limited or extended time and effort and hes your first and happy with him don't hesitate if your limited with time because if you are and you kill him you will learn volumes from this experience and lots of yrs to better but heck the way i see it dont skunk your tag if this is the best because its one less bear on the land scape.prove me wrong though at best sanareo and shown us old butter ball in your next pic

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secret coulee (Post 2809661)
Yea foresure not quite a mature bear yet hes has very little girth in his body and quite gangly yet like a teenager so to speak the ears are a little much but **** you no if this is the holly grail in your world with limited or extended time and effort and hes your first and happy with him don't hesitate if your limited with time because if you are and you kill him you will learn volumes from this experience and lots of yrs to better but heck the way i see it dont skunk your tag if this is the best because its one less bear on the land scape.prove me wrong though at best sanareo and shown us old butter ball in your next pic

I hear ya man thanks! He's the only bear coming to the bait so far it is early so I think ill sit on the bait tomorrow and see if i can get a real life perspective on him and go from there.

Torkdiesel 04-22-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugenuge (Post 2809666)
I hear ya man thanks! He's the only bear coming to the bait so far it is early so I think ill sit on the bait tomorrow and see if i can get a real life perspective on him and go from there.

It is very early in the year. The biggest bears are usually killed the 3rd to 4th week of May when the giant boars start to cruise looking for sows. This year will likely be two weeks early.
If you have the time and are looking for a monster bear I would hold off and see what else shows up.
If you are after a decent representative and have neve killed a bear before I don't think you would be disappointed with this one. Not a giant but certainly not a 3 year old dink, from what I could see in the video anyway.

nube 04-22-2015 11:14 PM

I would say he has good fur on him and he looks real fat. I would think he squares off around 6 feet which is a decent bear and kinda the size you want to shoot for for an average or better bear. Not huge but decent

Hugenuge 04-22-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torkdiesel (Post 2809668)
It is very early in the year. The biggest bears are usually killed the 3rd to 4th week of May when the giant boars start to cruise looking for sows. This year will likely be two weeks early.
If you have the time and are looking for a monster bear I would hold off and see what else shows up.
If you are after a decent representative and have neve killed a bear before I don't think you would be disappointed with this one. Not a giant but certainly not a 3 year old dink, from what I could see in the video anyway.

I have time but I also have two tags, this would be my 3rd bear ever second with a bow and the biggest i have ever killed. So with that said i was very excited to see this guy being new to the bear hunting game. Maybe a good bear to get the jitters out on and wait to fill the 2nd tag with a massive boar!!??

JD848 04-22-2015 11:54 PM

shooter

If that's the bear you want in 30 years time you can look back on and say in 2015 I nail the bear of lifetime, go ahead and shoot him.The reward of the hunt is within yourself and only you are going to live this hunt out,When I was younger I use to shoot and worry later and found little reward in that sometimes great other times no,then I set my expectations to where I wanted to get the greatest reward out of my hunts and shot less animals but when I put the special one down it was the greatest high I could get and put all the things that I past up behind me.Whatever you do I wish you the greatest of luck.

Bolete 04-23-2015 06:26 PM

I don't think he is as big as you think he is. Bears can be really tricky - they are likely to suffer from ground shrinkage. It's amazing how adrenalin affects perceived bear size.

I am somewhat of an authority on shooting smallish bears, lol.

Hugenuge 04-23-2015 07:37 PM

I went in to the bait today and He was all over the bait. I watched him for a bit before proceeding to my stand. once he left i went up into my tree but he never came back before I had to leave. Did not get a real good look at him because it was through some spruce but still cool to see him there. Ill be heading back in tomorrow morning as i just dropped a fresh beaver in there tonight as well.

DEAD ON 04-24-2015 05:53 AM

Take him down Paul, he will look good on the wall..

Hugenuge 04-24-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEAD ON (Post 2810902)
Take him down Paul, he will look good on the wall..

HAHA i agree man!

shovelheadtn 04-24-2015 07:51 AM

Bear size

Let him go another year or so it's to early to take one yet big boys will be out soon. Cheers

Hugenuge 04-26-2015 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolete (Post 2810453)
I don't think he is as big as you think he is. Bears can be really tricky - they are likely to suffer from ground shrinkage. It's amazing how adrenalin affects perceived bear size.

I am somewhat of an authority on shooting smallish bears, lol.

Well I decided to take him and your right ground shrinkage does happen, lol. He looked decent in the trail cam videos and it being my second bear with my bow and only 3rd ever he is the biggest for me to date. It was a great experience learned a lot about hot to better judge a size going forward as well in tracking blood trails, Which will all come in handy when one day when i do get a chance at a bruiser. For now i just feel honoured to have an opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal.

With experience comes maturity and i think im going in the right direction as a self taught hunter. Pics to come soon!!

crownb 04-26-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugenuge (Post 2814011)
Well I decided to take him and your right ground shrinkage does happen, lol. He looked decent in the trail cam videos and it being my second bear with my bow and only 3rd ever he is the biggest for me to date. It was a great experience learned a lot about hot to better judge a size going forward as well in tracking blood trails, Which will all come in handy when one day when i do get a chance at a bruiser. For now i just feel honoured to have an opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal.

With experience comes maturity and i think im going in the right direction as a self taught hunter. Pics to come soon!!

Congrats man!!!

Hugenuge 04-26-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newrteam (Post 2809700)
If that's the bear you want in 30 years time you can look back on and say in 2015 I nail the bear of lifetime, go ahead and shoot him.The reward of the hunt is within yourself and only you are going to live this hunt out,When I was younger I use to shoot and worry later and found little reward in that sometimes great other times no,then I set my expectations to where I wanted to get the greatest reward out of my hunts and shot less animals but when I put the special one down it was the greatest high I could get and put all the things that I past up behind me.Whatever you do I wish you the greatest of luck.

You were absolutely right, i decided to take him and it was a great learning experience something that as a self taught hunter has helped me mature in my early stages of bow hunting. It was such an honour to have the opportunity to harvest such a beautiful animal and the experience of after the shot will be something ill remember for the rest of my life. Thanks for your advise and encouragement! pics and a video to come soon :sHa_shakeshout:

Hugenuge 04-26-2015 07:34 PM

Here he is!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...pskyc4obc5.jpg

This is my second bear with a bow and 3rd in my life. It not the biggest in the forest but it was an honour to harvest such a beautiful animal. The experience i had will be with me for the rest of my life and with experience comes maturity for a self taught hunter will be required on the day when i do get a chance at a bruiser!!

Hunter_spec 04-26-2015 07:49 PM

good job!

Well! done , congrats on the harvest of a fine Alberta bear! Keep up the good work!

Hydro1 04-26-2015 07:54 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that bear.
Congrats, 15.5" skull?
Will be some good eating and a fine rug/mount.

CBintheNorth 04-26-2015 08:36 PM

Congratulations on your bear!
Anything with the bow is an accomplishment and a good adrenalin fix.
Bears truly are the hardest animal in the province to field judge.

On a side note, I can't believe how green some guys sites are.
We barely have buds on the trees!

222rem 04-26-2015 09:02 PM

Well done

roper1 04-26-2015 09:12 PM

Congrats.......

Hugenuge 04-26-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydro1 (Post 2814038)
Absolutely nothing wrong with that bear.
Congrats, 15.5" skull?
Will be some good eating and a fine rug/mount.

I will let you know soon!!

blackmamba 04-26-2015 09:55 PM

Congrats on a great bear.. any critter with a bow is an accomishment in itself .. great job bud !!

wolftrack 04-27-2015 06:12 AM

That is a baby Bear.. congrats