Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing ear cartilage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=336627)

MB1 01-04-2018 09:30 PM

Removing ear cartilage

How many of you are removing ear cartilage from coyotes?
Seems some guys do and some don't, does it affect value that much?
Thanks

Battle Rat 01-04-2018 10:14 PM

I do.
For the couple minutes it takes I think it is worth it.

HunterDave 01-04-2018 10:25 PM

The NAFA pelt handling manual says take them out so that’s what I do. The ears aren’t graded so I don’t fret about ripped ears. I think that they are just worried about rotting.

kingrat 01-05-2018 07:13 AM

I do, like said above it takes seconds and the end product looks so much better imo.I was told anything ears and up and tail don't effect the grade. Having said that I don't imagine there's been to many top coyotes with missing tails or rotten ears.

bill9044 01-05-2018 08:21 AM

I take the ears out I expect any professional skinner to take them out. It drives me batty when a fellow wants 25$ And the ears are in and the tail isn't split. It takes seconds when I'm skinning so easy. 5911ryan has some good videos on how. If you can't find it message me.
Bill

MB1 01-05-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill9044 (Post 3703039)
I take the ears out I expect any professional skinner to take them out. It drives me batty when a fellow wants 25$ And the ears are in and the tail isn't split. It takes seconds when I'm skinning so easy. 5911ryan has some good videos on how. If you can't find it message me.
Bill

I agree, I do take them out as per 5911ryan's video. I was just curious as I've seen some pictures on this site and others where guys aren't doing it...
Like Dave said the pelt handling manual says to do it so it should be expected.

pikeslayer22 01-05-2018 08:46 PM

My brother got top lot last year with cartridge in

gibb 01-06-2018 05:51 AM

Removing the ear cartilage is important especially when you are rushing to get things ready for shipping. If you have a lot of time and a well heated shop not as big a problem. If rushed they will start to rot by the time the fur reaches the grading table.
You don't need the inner part of the ear so removing is easy to do on fresh skins.
Kind of what separates a novice from a professional fur handle.
Jim

buckbrush 01-09-2018 11:24 AM

I just never understood, why leave it in? Easier to take it out then to trim all the meat off. IMO.

HunterDave 01-09-2018 11:39 AM

I know a very experienced skinner who taught me to leave it in, but I don't. He puts two cuts in each ear and said that it dried the ear and there was no rot. He's very fast with putting up coyotes though and my thought was that he didn't spend too much time on the little things.....just get them done fast. He gets good money for his coyotes but I prefer to take an extra 10 minutes per pelt. Whatever floats your boat I guess.