Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fishing line-mono vs braid (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117828)

npauls 01-11-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 1252203)
50 pound flouro leader and 80 pound braid

Didn't know you were able to fish for sharks in Alberta.:fighting0074:

Better not let some of the pros on t.v. here you talking about those lbs test lines for fresh water fishing. They will be all over you like they are bob Izumi.

horsetrader 01-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowtrail (Post 1252193)
But you only leave your tent if it's sunny and above 0 degrees :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Above 0 i don't get out of bed if it ain't above 0

WayneChristie 01-11-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1252279)

Better not let some of the pros on t.v. here you talking about those lbs test lines for fresh water fishing. They will be all over you like they are bob Izumi.

yah well when I have a real chance at hooking a 100 pound plus sturgeon I dont believe in underkill :) spooled my winter reel with some off one of my sturgeon reels. also had 40 pound test broken before. dont watch fishing on tv anyways, I prefer to have my own fun :sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner 01-11-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1252279)

50 I feel is heavy and hurts lure action im sure it works fine. I own 50 only use it when purposefully trolling for pike and not so sure 50 lb floro is quite as invisible as manufacturer suggest. at such a high wt

npauls 01-11-2012 10:12 PM

I personally don't run anything heavier then 15lbs test and that is on my sturgeon rod and reel set up.

I find that I don't have any problems with what I run as long as my drag is set properly. I run 4lbs on one of my jigging rods and 5lbs on the other. I can cast small jigs a mile and I can tell you for sure that I have caught fish well over 4 and 5lbs on those combos with no problems.

WayneChristie 01-11-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 1252335)
50 I feel is heavy and hurts lure action im sure it works fine. I own 50 only use it when purposefully trolling for pike and not so sure 50 lb floro is quite as invisible as manufacturer suggest. at such a high wt

Im not worried about the visibility issue with the heavy flouro leaders, its more for the bite resistance factor. Nate Im still new to the strugeon fishing, but Ive had to play a large fish for a long time on 30 pound braid, Id rather get them landed and released quicker with the heavy line but thats just my personal preference. and if you do hook a huge fish on 15 pound line in a heavy current, no matter how you play it the fish is going to win. Or die trying

npauls 01-11-2012 11:49 PM

I landed 3 in one weekend that were all 48" or bigger on a 5'6" medium action jigging rod with 6lbs test while fishing for walleyes. I landed all of them fish in pretty decent current in a few minutes a piece. I just lay the side pressure to them and keep as much pressure as possible on them. Has worked out for me so far. They have all been in good health and ready to haul out of there as soon as I pop the hook. If I do notice that I am starting to battle them longer then I think I should have to I will switch it up and go a bit heavier but for now what I have rigged seems to do the job.

outandabout 01-11-2012 11:49 PM

...Thanks for the tips guys, although still kinda torn...

I do mostly trout fishing...rainbows and lakers not really getting over 5lbs with the odd trip out for walleyes and pike (chasing the 10+lbs). But I didn't really want to change out the lines every time I did this...since I love the feel of my set up I have now as well as my wife has her "perfect gear" I didn't really want to find another rod and reel getting the dust blown off every once in awhile type thing...I was kinda hoping a braid would do the trick...

Might try the leader option in the spring...

BeeGuy 01-12-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1252464)
I landed 3 in one weekend that were all 48" or bigger on a 5'6" medium action jigging rod with 6lbs test while fishing for walleyes. I landed all of them fish in pretty decent current in a few minutes a piece. I just lay the side pressure to them and keep as much pressure as possible on them. Has worked out for me so far. They have all been in good health and ready to haul out of there as soon as I pop the hook. If I do notice that I am starting to battle them longer then I think I should have to I will switch it up and go a bit heavier but for now what I have rigged seems to do the job.

from a boat?

npauls 01-12-2012 12:29 AM

Nope shore fishing on the south sask. river.

huntsfurfish 01-12-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 1252348)
Im not worried about the visibility issue with the heavy flouro leaders, its more for the bite resistance factor. Nate Im still new to the strugeon fishing, but Ive had to play a large fish for a long time on 30 pound braid, Id rather get them landed and released quicker with the heavy line but thats just my personal preference. and if you do hook a huge fish on 15 pound line in a heavy current, no matter how you play it the fish is going to win. Or die trying

Good post!

I agree tackle should suit the species.

huntsfurfish 01-12-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npauls (Post 1252464)

I think Nate meant 48 cm, not inches. He cant catch fish anyway:);):lol:

Way to lite of gear for sturgeon though.

sonny42 01-12-2012 06:45 PM

Nate you said you caught 3 sturgeon over 48'' long in one weekend using 6lb test line, then you woke up, What kind of pain killers are you on. :snapoutofit::snapoutofit::snapoutofit:

npauls 01-12-2012 08:29 PM

Got pictures of them. Went on a trip with bob out to his brothers ranch. Had the rod set up for walleyes and wasn't expecting to get into the sturgeon.

The one in my profile pic on here is one of them. All were similar in size. Never had a break off at all. I am not saying I would target sturgeon with this set up normally but it did hold up when I hooked into them. Like I said I have a sturgeon rig set up with 15lbs braid that will do fine for the sturgeon we have around here.

Oh ya no pain killers over here anymore either. Haven't had any for about a month and a half now.

sonny42 01-12-2012 09:38 PM

I thought that would get your attention Nate.

npauls 01-12-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonny42 (Post 1254227)
I thought that would get your attention Nate.

Don't poke the bear Sonny. :fighting0074:

How is the perch slaying going for you this year?

I was thinking of heading out in the morning but am not to sure how the ice is out there.

sonny42 01-12-2012 09:51 PM

Have not been out since Christmas, Just got back from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. yesterday went down before new years, probibly try to get out on sat. Try for some walleye.

npauls 01-12-2012 09:59 PM

Oh sweet.

pm me and I will give you what little info. I know about some walleye action if you want.

Sounds like I will be heading out Sunday on the hunt for some eyes.