Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I don't see where anyone has mentioned the 75% tax on Nat Gas Jan 1 2018? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=333532)

Ken07AOVette 11-16-2017 05:24 PM

I don't see where anyone has mentioned the 75% tax on Nat Gas Jan 1 2018?

Jason Kenney has brought this to Parliament?

It is all over Facebook, some are now saying it is going to be on gasoline as well, what have you seen and heard?

If you don't have facebook, I dont need you to say for the hundredth time that you don't have facebook.

Google is your friend.

midgetwaiter 11-16-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3669002)

It is all over Facebook, some are now saying it is going to be on gasoline as well, what have you seen and heard?

Well I don't have Facebook (how could I resist) and I'm reluctant to guess just what poop has bubbled to the top of that slough but yes there is an increase in the carbon levy scheduled for 2018, maybe that's it?

Now I'm not sure this is what you're referencing for the following reasons;
  • It's a levy, not a tax.
  • It's not a 75% rate or a 75% increase for that matter.
  • It's not new.
  • I'm also not sure why Kenny would bring it to a body he's not actually a part of any more.

Will all that taken into consideration it seems about the right amount of wrong for a Facebook post to blow up so it's probably this.

https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx

Twisted Canuck 11-16-2017 05:38 PM

I don't have Facebook Ken.....:scared:

C'mon, somebody was going to do it, might as well be a friend, right?:)

Will investigate this matter and get back to comment intelligently, but off hand I don't believe this is a flat 75% hike on natural gas.

wags 11-16-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

If you don't have facebook, I dont need you to say for the hundredth time that you don't have facebook.

Google is your friend.

I don't have facebook

DiabeticKripple 11-16-2017 05:53 PM

It’s not even close to a 75% tax increase

Ken07AOVette 11-16-2017 06:00 PM

https://www.facebook.com/albertacant...58435927800901

If you heat your home with natural gas, your bill will be increasing on Jan 1, 2018 by 75% with the carbon tax.
Example assuming same amount of natural gas used on both these months:
$200 nat gas cost to heat your home on December 2017
$350 nat gas cost to heat your home on January 2018

DiabeticKripple 11-16-2017 06:03 PM

Nat gas price right now is ~$2

The current carbon tax is $1.01

The new 2018 tax is $1.52

I wouldn’t call that a 75% increase on your bill.

Homesteader 11-16-2017 06:04 PM

I doubt very many people use $200 worth of gas. Their bill could be that, but so much of the bill is distribution and riders etc. Any increases of those percentages unless on my stock portfolio are still unacceptable :)

Digger1 11-16-2017 06:32 PM

They did slap a 10% carbon tax on our propane in October, thanks a lot. What’s that for again?

ETOWNCANUCK 11-16-2017 06:40 PM

What's Facebook?

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 11-16-2017 06:41 PM

If this is the case I would love to see where this carbon tax is going to. Is it just to cover some debt? Or is it actually going towards making the world a better place when our kids are old and grey :thinking-006:

midgetwaiter 11-16-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3669023)
https://www.facebook.com/albertacant...58435927800901

If you heat your home with natural gas, your bill will be increasing on Jan 1, 2018 by 75% with the carbon tax.
Example assuming same amount of natural gas used on both these months:
$200 nat gas cost to heat your home on December 2017
$350 nat gas cost to heat your home on January 2018

I provided you with the facts, why did you ignore it?

It's not a 75% increase, the levy goes from $1.011/gj to $1.517/gj. Pretty much bang on 50%.

Also it applies to natural gas usage not your total bill!

My total gas usage was 3.95gj in October. I paid $4.00 for the carbon levy, with the new rate that's going to be $6.00. Can't say I'm excited about it or anything but I don't think I'll have to sell one of the children.

nick0danger 11-16-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Google is your friend.

Jason can not bring it to parliament he is the leader of a provincial party. He can not bring it to the Legislative assembly, as he is yet to be elected an MLA.

ctd 11-16-2017 06:54 PM

No matter what it is going to be very hard for people on fixed incomes to pay the extra cost.
Their calculations are pretty simplified, we all know everyone along the supply line is going to increase their cost to make up for their "Carbon Levy"
They can call it a levy or a enviromental foot print reduction. It is a TAX simply put. they are taxing more on our heating costs that will do nothing to reduce usage of Natural Gas in households in Alberta. What it will end up doing is forcing those who do not have disposable income to choose between staying warm, or being cold.

Arguments are up that these people will receive rebates and such. they still do not add up to their full costs. For many that is going to be the difference between eating three meals every day to choosing between eating three squares a day or heating their home. That is a reality. Not everybody in this province makes $80,000 +a year. In some cases even making the higher money does not mean they can easily absorb the increase in cost for goods and services.

anybody who feels this TAX is a good thing, well I hope your good enough to shell out a few more dollars to help other eat and keep a roof above their heads.

We are being Levied and taxed to max in this province and Country. something has to give eventually.

mgvande 11-16-2017 06:54 PM

So this Facebook you speak of... a news sight?

Ken07AOVette 11-16-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetwaiter (Post 3669066)
I provided you with the facts, why did you ignore it?

I just copied it.

I didn't write it.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I am just asking if anyone else has heard about it.

Bighorn River 11-16-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctd (Post 3669071)
No matter what it is going to be very hard for people on fixed incomes to pay the extra cost.
Their calculations are pretty simplified, we all know everyone along the supply line is going to increase their cost to make up for their "Carbon Levy"
They can call it a levy or a enviromental foot print reduction. It is a TAX simply put. they are taxing more on our heating costs that will do nothing to reduce usage of Natural Gas in households in Alberta. What it will end up doing is forcing those who do not have disposable income to choose between staying warm, or being cold.

Arguments are up that these people will receive rebates and such. they still do not add up to their full costs. For many that is going to be the difference between eating three meals every day to choosing between eating three squares a day or heating their home. That is a reality. Not everybody in this province makes $80,000 +a year. In some cases even making the higher money does not mean they can easily absorb the increase in cost for goods and services.

anybody who feels this TAX is a good thing, well I hope your good enough to shell out a few more dollars to help other eat and keep a roof above their heads.

We are being Levied and taxed to max in this province and Country. something has to give eventually.

With the greatest respect, you don't know what you are talking about. As its been reported for the past year the 65% of poorest Albertans get a rebate check twice a year that more than covers the c-tax. If you reduce use, you make money.

As other have said, the increase is a tiny piece of the bill. $5 per month and 2/3rds will get more back than they pay. If you are a couple making less than 95,000 per year, you get $450 back per year - more than the c-tax will be.

Kenney is trolling for the easily misled, low information voter. As this thread shows, it will probably work.

He told you last year the world would end when the carbon tax was introduced and scared a lot of people with hysterical lies. since then Alberta's economy has grown faster than the whole country.

C-tax is going up as planned, as is the rebate. Its going to go up even more in future years when the higher federal tax kicks in.

CNP 11-16-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighorn River (Post 3669124)
With the greatest respect, you don't know what you are talking about. As its been reported for the past year the 65% of poorest Albertans get a rebate check twice a year that more than covers the c-tax. If you reduce use, you make money.

As other have said, the increase is a tiny piece of the bill. $5 per month and 2/3rds will get more back than they pay. If you are a couple making less than 95,000 per year, you get $450 back per year - more than the c-tax will be.

Kenney is trolling for the easily misled, low information voter. As this thread shows, it will probably work.

He told you last year the world would end when the carbon tax was introduced and scared a lot of people with hysterical lies. since then Alberta's economy has grown faster than the whole country.

C-tax is going up as planned, as is the rebate. Its going to go up even more in future years when the higher federal tax kicks in.

Wealth redistribution. Those (couples) earning more than $95K paying those (couples) who earn less than $95K. The government skimming off the top.

Nester 11-16-2017 08:44 PM

Mkaaaaaayyyyyy..........

Facebook's latest step to fight fake news is another disappointment

http://mashable.com/2017/11/16/faceb.../#fsNE35vCyZqR

https://i.redd.it/6qea8p12srey.gif

Brian Adams 11-16-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 3669073)
I am just asking if anyone else has heard about it.

Yes, on snapchat.

Ken07AOVette 11-16-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nester (Post 3669146)
Mkaaaaaayyyyyy..........

Facebook's latest step to fight fake news is another disappointment
http://mashable.com/2017/11/16/faceb.../#fsNE35vCyZqR
https://i.redd.it/6qea8p12srey.gif

So the hike is a fabricated story? It's sure gaining strength, mind you we all hate Notley so it is easy to climb on board the hate train

xx06 11-16-2017 10:40 PM

Now I'm not sure this is what you're referencing for the following reasons; [LIST][*]It's a levy, not a tax. [*]It's not a 75% rate or a 75% increase for that matter. [*]It's not new.[*]I'm also not sure why Kenny would bring it to a body he's not actually a part of any more.
[l][/QUOTE]

Its a levy only because as per Alberta Tax Payers Protection act section a-36 a "sales" tax may not be introduced without a referendum. Since this carbon levy is directly or indirectly on all products it is a sales tax. If you do the math it is indeed 75% since 2016.

Keep trolling

Weedy1 11-16-2017 11:50 PM

This was my bill last month:

RETAILER CHARGES
Current Energy Charges
Administration Fee - Fixed 6.97
Cost of Gas - Variable 11.88
Sub-Total 18.85
GST 0.94
CURRENT ENERGY BILLING 19.79

DISTRIBUTOR AND GOVERNMENT CHARGES
Current Distributor Charges
Delivery Charge - Fixed 27.25
Delivery Charge - Variable 6.41
Rate Riders 6.55
Municipal Franchise Fee paid to Edmonton 14.56
Carbon Levy 7.16
Sub-Total 61.93
GST 3.09
CURRENT DISTRIBUTOR BILLING 65.02
Total Charges for ********* 84.81

If I used the same amount of gas next month at the same rates plus the carbon levy increase I would pay $5.92 more on the total bill according to
https://www.alberta.ca/climate-carbon-pricing.aspx bringing my total carbon levy to $13.08 for $19.79 worth of gas.

neilsledder 11-17-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger1 (Post 3669044)
They did slap a 10% carbon tax on our propane in October, thanks a lot. What’s that for again?

On propane? There is no carbon in propane! That’s why it’s used for cooking and stuff cause it burns clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newview01 11-17-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighorn River (Post 3669124)

Ok, so the carbon tax has no effect? Those who can afford it are fine, and those who can’t end up ahead? You need to explain your train of thought a little more.

alacringa 11-17-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilsledder (Post 3669247)
On propane? There is no carbon in propane! That’s why it’s used for cooking and stuff cause it burns clean.

Propane is C3H8. it burns to produce carbon dioxide and water, same as natural gas and other fossil fuels.

Bighorn River 11-17-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newview01 (Post 3669260)
Ok, so the carbon tax has no effect? Those who can afford it are fine, and those who can’t end up ahead? You need to explain your train of thought a little more.

Everyone pays the carbon tax, the more you burn, the more you pay, so its a (minor) incentive to be more efficient.

The rebate protects the poorest consumers so no poor people are at risk because of the carbon tax.

Some people have said the rebate undermines the point of the tax, but it doesn't. The incentive to reduce is still there whether you get a rebate or not.

Carbon tax on my gas bill is currently about $6 on a $60 bill when you include all the other fees and riders that were introduced pre-NDP. It will increase another $3 on Jan 2018. Not a 75% increase in my gas bill.

At some point Jason Kenney will need to say what his carbon policy is. He's said he's against everything in the NDP plan, but hasn't said what he would do. Waste billions of taxpayer money on carbon capture and storage of coal plants like in Saskatchewan?

powerbob 11-17-2017 09:11 AM

Fire up the wood stove !

normstad 11-17-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilsledder (Post 3669247)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooooo.... where do you think the CO2 and carbon monoxide come from when you burn it?

Just to keep things real.

bobinthesky 11-17-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctd (Post 3669071)

The reason it's called a levy is because you can't tax a tax, but you can tax a levy.