Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Ram Truck option Makes Ford "Cabelas" edition just a little sissy. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66486)

CaberTosser 08-16-2010 09:16 AM

New Ram Truck option Makes Ford "Cabelas" edition just a little sissy.

Who else loves us enough to offer a factory gun & fishing rod rack option?

The muzzle placement also encourages drivers to double check they unloaded :P.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/automotive...n-rack-holster

Ken07AOVette 08-16-2010 09:36 AM

Ok, that is pretty cool. Now if they were turret mounted and remote controlled.....:sHa_shakeshout:

Albertadiver 08-16-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 654658)
Ok, that is pretty cool. Now if they were turret mounted and remote controlled.....:sHa_shakeshout:

Then Duffy won't have to use a quad!

CaberTosser 08-16-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 654658)

C'mon Ken, you've got a plasma cutter. Surely between that and some Princess Auto hydraulics and a laser pointer we could MacGuyver up something functional.

I think Rob will be happy to hear it's called the Outdoorsmen edition.

209x50 08-16-2010 09:53 AM

Hmmm, very doubtful my guns would ever ride outside like that. No matter how well they claim to have weather and dust proofed the cabinet. Cool feature though.

IR_mike 08-16-2010 10:12 AM

Too bouncy....I'd rather have them cased on the back seat, a bit smoother of a ride than right above the rear shock/springs.

Ken07AOVette 08-16-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaberTosser (Post 654666)
C'mon Ken, you've got a plasma cutter. Surely between that and some Princess Auto hydraulics and a laser pointer we could MacGuyver up something functional.

I think Rob will be happy to hear it's called the Outdoorsmen edition.

scary thought, I do have some of the little air cylinders here...and a real cool green laser.

Lone_Wolf 08-16-2010 11:18 AM

Cool idea, and nice name, but I wouldn't want to put a rifle in there. All that bouncing around, it will never shoot straight after being taken out of the compartment.

Rackmastr 08-16-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 209x50 (Post 654673)
Hmmm, very doubtful my guns would ever ride outside like that. No matter how well they claim to have weather and dust proofed the cabinet. Cool feature though.

x2....I wouldnt let my rifle bounce around back there....cool idea for using space though!

The cooter 08-16-2010 01:45 PM

These trucks have had toool boxes in the rails for two years now the only real difference would be the saddles for the guns and rods. Dodge is just remarketing the same truck and calling it outdoorsmen. Don't get me wrong i'm big on dodge its all I own. I just don't think its fair to the customer to add a 200 dollar part and charge 4000 dollars more. Dodge has come along ways with the new body style and cab:happy0034: But other than the gun rack I don't see a difference. IMO. Still nothin beats a Dodge in the end.:fighting0074:

220swifty 08-16-2010 10:51 PM

Nice idea. Unfortuantely, last time i got a dodge far enough from the asphalt to hunt, both differentials decided to simataneously explode. Since then, i would rather carry my rifle in my teeth than drive any chrysler ****box.

CaberTosser 11-03-2010 12:17 AM

My Field & Stream that arrived in the mail today has a centrefold pamphlet for this truck with a bunch of gear suggestions for various hunting trips, and a Power Wagon on the back.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2011/outdoor...om/outdoorsman

Canadian website
http://www.dodge.ca/en/ram_1500/ram_1500_trx.html

The Canadian website even has a 2500 Outdoorsman, but it just shows a picture of a Power Wagon:confused: It'd be nice if they got their stuff together.
http://www.dodge.ca/en/ram_2500_3500...tdoorsman.html
While I think the Rambox is a neat idea, I don't forsee myself getting one for the sole reason they aren't compatible with a canopy; and I'll never have a truck without a canopy after getting used to it with my last Power Wagon. Any cargo too big to fit under my canopy gets the cargo trailer treatment.

827rotax 11-03-2010 12:33 AM

go carts have Motors aka dodge, chey or gm whatever, REAL Trucks have diesel POWER PLANTS! POWER STROKE DIESEL POWER PLANTS!!! Fishing rod holders dont sell trucks, sorry.

CaberTosser 11-03-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 827rotax (Post 723955)
go carts have Motors aka dodge, chey or gm whatever, REAL Trucks have diesel POWER PLANTS! POWER STROKE DIESEL POWER PLANTS!!! Fishing rod holders dont sell trucks, sorry.

HAHAHAAHa. Staging a Power-Joke against a Cummins is gonna get you disappointed. Notice the 2500 option with the diesel. Case closed.:fighting0030:

You'll see Ford guys putting Cummins engines in their Super Doodies as an upgrade quite often, but I've never once seen a Dodge guy downgrade to a Power Stroke in his Ram.

827rotax 11-03-2010 01:10 AM

cummins is a great motor, ah who owned them????? I have had them all, can't fool me. Put a great motor in a POS shell and you still have a POS. It is like a very attractive fat girl, or a very ugly girl with a smokin bod, with dodge you can't have it both ways. My 02 was a great truck when it wasnt spitting out lift pumps, or seizing the brake calipers and wearing out the pads, and ride well we all know how they ride, like a train off the track. And noise, holy crap my neighbors took up a collection for me to sell it!! Bought my first doodie in 04' and will never own any other. 500,000 plus in 3 doodies and changed a boost tube, and two belt tensioners. I have 157,000 on my 08' lifted with 38"x15.5" and have not touched the breaks or front end yet. my dodge sold with 97,000 on it and it had 6 lift pumps, 1 injection pump, 2 track bars, all new front end as well once, rear axle seals, 3 complete break jobs due to poor caliper design, bent push rods twice from starting in the cold after idling, needed a fricken parka in the winter unless I was pulling my house. I will stick with the best. There is a reason Dodge is at 0% interest and start at 10-15k less, they just are not the same as the FORD.

fordtruckin 11-03-2010 04:32 PM

Cool idea, But I wouldn't say it beats the Cabelas edition Ford. I'd rather have my guns riding under the back seat in the cab, then out side on the box. Imagine what would happen if you got Tboned. There is great protection inside the cab of your truck then sitting in the bed rail. Better yet, In a rack in the back window!

I agree Cummins is a great motor, Even though I'm a die hard Ford man. Put a Cummins with a Alison Tranny in a Ford and that'd be my dream diesel truck! I'll have to see how the Ford 6.7s turn out. They SURE are queit thats for sure.

Alberta Bigbore 11-04-2010 08:01 AM

One of the Bosses at my work have the Ram with the Toolbox option where that Gun rack is, and it still sees some dust. No way no how would mine ride in there.:)

Bolete 11-04-2010 12:00 PM

Cummins are great. Its too bad thought that the rest of the truck says "Dodge". While maybe not the whole rest of the truck - only the transmissions, front ends, diffs, and interiors.
The exteriors look nice though.