Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sheep Allocations sold! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=51154)

sheepguide 01-29-2010 04:42 PM

Sheep Allocations sold!

Just got conformation that the sheep allocations in 422(4) and 426(4) plus numerouse other allocations just sold to a group of guys from B.C.
South Ram Outfitters will only be hunting cats and doing trail rides now.
SG

MTWALLET 01-29-2010 04:51 PM

are they going to hunt them or is this a tree hugger thing

sheepguide 01-29-2010 04:54 PM

Sounds like they will hunt them. Sounds like the old outfitter is gunna guide for them this fall to get them going. For the amount of cash he was asking I would hope they are gunna hunt them!!!
SG

MTWALLET 01-29-2010 05:01 PM

That huge grizz area on the coast was bought by tree huggers, so you never know, I hope they deal well with the locals:)

sheepguide 01-29-2010 05:13 PM

They will have to on the South ram as there is alot of local pressure. The Whiterabbit is a little less but they will still have pressure on them.

Be pretty tough order for a new outfitter to book 8 sheep hunts the first year. I know a few veteran outfitters that are scratching to get 4.

Also heard the North ram permits might be going up for sale. I beleive they ran 0/4 in there last year on their Non Resident permits.
I think they only went 1/8 or 2/8 in 422-426 last fall.
SG

sage 13 01-29-2010 05:38 PM

Do you know who from B.C. bought them and are you allowed to say.

sheepguide 01-29-2010 05:45 PM

Im not sure who they are.

Rockymtnx 01-29-2010 05:49 PM

Do you mind posting the asking price on them?

Rigby 01-29-2010 05:51 PM

If you dont mind me asking sheepguide how do you get this information?

sheepguide 01-29-2010 05:51 PM

422 allocations = $600,000+
426 allocations = $400,000+

Not sure what they finally sold for though.

sheepguide 01-29-2010 05:53 PM

The outfitter that sold out is a friend of the family.
He lives just south of Caroline.

sheepguide 01-29-2010 05:55 PM

Same as the Outfitter in the North Ram he lives about 10 miles from me.

209x50 01-29-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTWALLET (Post 496066)
That huge grizz area on the coast was bought by tree huggers, so you never know, I hope they deal well with the locals:)

Brian Martin's old CMO area in BC was bought by a couple of Albertans and just recently was sold to the indian band there. They are in the outfitting business now.

Grizzly Adams 01-29-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepguide (Post 496125)
The outfitter that sold out is a friend of the family.
He lives just south of Caroline.

Doesn't his wife do the Raven clothing thing?
Grizz

SCO 01-29-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 496232)
Doesn't his wife do the Raven clothing thing?
Grizz

I believe Raven Wear is his brother.

sheepguide 01-29-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCO (Post 496251)
I believe Raven Wear is his brother.

Ya Raven Wear is Dennis and Susan Hindbo and SouthRam Outfitters is Lorne and Sharmane Hindbo And yes Lorne and Dennis are brothers.

magcal4L 01-29-2010 09:55 PM

With all the sheep talk about draws and such, there should be no non resident sheep hunting at all. The americans can stick to the bears and Whitetails where their numbers are plenty. I don't care hom much money it brings the province, those outfitters can find new jobs.

gunslinger 01-29-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magcal4L (Post 496438)
With all the sheep talk about draws and such, there should be no non resident sheep hunting at all. The americans can stick to the bears and Whitetails where their numbers are plenty. I don't care hom much money it brings the province, those outfitters can find new jobs.

or go on a well deserved vacation. a with that kind of money i probably would book me a sheep hunt.

depopulator 01-30-2010 08:25 AM

Too bad the AB government didn't buy them given the "sheep population crisis" we have been discussing on this forum:rolleyes:.

I am at least glad to hear the 422/426 allocations (as well as CMO) were purchased by resident Canadians rather than wealthy international special interest groups.

Hagar 01-30-2010 08:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing as you depopulator.

sheepguide 01-30-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magcal4L (Post 496438)

I really laugh at these types of statements. There isnt one guy on these sheep threads that if they had the means to afford this stuff wouldnt be in other places hunting sheep as non residents. Im heading on my first out of province hunt(Goat) and am very glad to have this oppertunity. Sure them tags need to be governed and maybe decreased but not eliminated.
SG

Hagar 01-30-2010 10:57 AM

That is very true sheepguide,I would not want to see the outfitting gone either.The point beening if there is such a problem with sheep at this time why didn't the government by these tags with the option of reissuing them in the future when things have improved.In other words any reductions or restrictions to residents should also apply to the outfitters as well.

Where are you going for your goat hunt?

sheepguide 01-30-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagar (Post 496749)
That is very true sheepguide,I would not want to see the outfitting gone either.The point beening if there is such a problem with sheep at this time why didn't the government by these tags with the option of reissuing them in the future when things have improved.In other words any reductions or restrictions to residents should also apply to the outfitters as well.

Where are you going for your goat hunt?

Heading to northern BC. And I agree with the fact that if we get more restrictions or less tags, NR tags should also be altered accordingly.
SG

Hagar 01-30-2010 11:52 AM

Sound like it should be a great trip,hope you have a great time!I'm jealous.HaHaHa.

magcal4L 01-30-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepguide (Post 496700)
I really laugh at these types of statements. There isnt one guy on these sheep threads that if they had the means to afford this stuff wouldnt be in other places hunting sheep as non residents. Im heading on my first out of province hunt(Goat) and am very glad to have this oppertunity. Sure them tags need to be governed and maybe decreased but not eliminated.
SG

I see the point you make, and you are true with the statement about someone with the means going to another province. I have done the goat hunt in BC. I should of explained my opinion a bit more, I should have said during these times (if mature ram numbers are low) they should do away with NR tags for a period of time. For other provinces it may be a different story where their populations are more stable

sheepguide 01-30-2010 12:22 PM

I dont feel that populations are bad. And dont really wanna see huge changes on sheep but I do feel that alot of rams are shot to young. I personaly would like to see a program that rewards with shooting of older rams or only allows the shooting of older rams. I think that NR allocations should be lowered by say 25% per zone but I dont think anything more drastic is needed and also put the age deal in for them also. But again that is just my opinion and it has been discussed in great lengths in other threads recently.
Darcy

sheepguide 02-05-2010 08:21 PM

Heard today that Skip Selk may have bought the 2 allocations on the Red Deer. I beleive that gives him 6 total sheep allocations in two diff. zones.
Also heard that Steve Overgaurd may now own 4 allocations in 420.

SCO 02-06-2010 08:53 PM

Steve is a good guy. He runs/owns Tapawingo fishing lodge on Bitshco lake up in wmu 539 right in the NW corner of Alberta. I had considered those 420 tags but decided to stay out of the sheep business for now.

sheepguide 02-06-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCO (Post 503637)
Steve is a good guy. He runs/owns Tapawingo fishing lodge on Bitshco lake up in wmu 539 right in the NW corner of Alberta. I had considered those 420 tags but decided to stay out of the sheep business for now.

Wouldnt be bad tags other than sharing the zone with one of the best sheep outfitters in the buisness right now. Im sure they still run the gentlmans agreement of hunting 4 tags south of the clearwater and 4 north.

I thought about buying Bearmans 2 tags after the split but didnt wanna deal with Edie up there.
SG