Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flu Shots (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=203603)

260 Rem 12-28-2013 12:30 PM

Flu Shots

Less than 50% of Albertans immunized - time to get with the program if you haven't already!

Matt L. 12-28-2013 12:32 PM

Yep, fastest way to get the flu.

chadyaz 12-28-2013 12:34 PM

Never got a flu shot. Not gonna start this year

leeaspell 12-28-2013 12:54 PM

X2, I've never had one not going to start now.

Selkirk 12-28-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 2257202)
Less than 50% of Albertans immunized - time to get with the program if you haven't already!

Been there / done that, last month.

For 8 years now, I've been getting a flu shot every fall. It works like a damn for me (no flus since), and I've never suffered any of the mild side-effects they warn you about.

There's lots of negative mis-information going around about the flu shots ... it's enough to make a grown man puke. They range from 'old-wives-tales' to down-right 'lies'.

Before you decide not to get a flu shot (the choice is yours), make sure you know all the real/true facts.

Mac

Redfrog 12-28-2013 01:26 PM

Free shots??? Yeah like I'm gonna say no.:thinking-006:

Lornce 12-28-2013 02:00 PM

First year I had a Flu shot, got one when they first announced availability at my drug store. Everyone around me has been sick but it worked for me.

artie 12-28-2013 02:11 PM

I always get the flu shot and sometime or other during the winter I always get the flu. Makes me wonder how sick I would get if I never had the shot.

260 Rem 12-28-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLeod (Post 2257294)
Been there / done that, last month.
For 8 years now, I've been getting a flu shot every fall. It works like a damn for me (no flus since), and I've never suffered any of the mild side-effects they warn you about.
There's lots of negative mis-information going around about the flu shots ... it's enough to make a grown man puke. They range from 'old-wives-tales' to down-right 'lies'.
Before you decide not to get a flu shot (the choice is yours), make sure you know all the real/true facts.
Mac

I've been getting the shot for the past ten years, and so far, no flu. IMO, there are some pretty compelling reasons to get with the program...but, of course, it is voluntary. Fortunately, back in the day when polio was making the rounds, "voluntary" was not part of the language. Canadians have a very unique perspective regarding vacinations/immunizations.

260 Rem 12-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artie (Post 2257378)
I always get the flu shot and sometime or other during the winter I always get the flu. Makes me wonder how sick I would get if I never had the shot.

I think the "shot" is developed to combat only one strain --say H1N1, so it gives pretty good protection against that strain...however, if you come into contact with
H1N2....you are not protected.

Selkirk 12-28-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artie (Post 2257378)

Are you getting the Flu (link; Influenza) ... or are you getting a 'Cold' (link; Common Cold) ?

Flu shots help protect against getting the Flu, but they don't protect against getting a common cold. I haven't had the flu since I started getting a flu shot, but I still get one or two mild colds a year.

Find a cure for the common cold, and you'll be a millionaire! :lol:

Mac

chasingtail 12-28-2013 03:32 PM

Very rarely do the shots contain the right strain of flu, it's all a guessing game and they are usually wrong, the virus changes and mutates, when it hits North America it's different then what they decided to put in the vaccine months earlier. The flu shot can lower your immune system so you more easily get one of the flu viruses the shot doesn't protect. Also lots of people that think they have the flu but really don't, usually it's some other stomach bug.

Unregistered user 12-28-2013 03:50 PM

Wifey spent Xmas eve half the next day in hospital, h1n1.

Carson12 12-28-2013 03:52 PM

I don't think they get the correct strain every year, but probably more often than not they get it right.

Seems like after a slow start we are catching up to expected levels of flu cases. I know that the shot is no guarantee you won't get the flu, but it's still the best option out there.

I haven't got the shot every year, but I still think it's a good idea. Ya, I don't want to get immunized either if they've got the wrong strains in there, so I figure I'll take a chance and wait and see what circulating locally, and if they got it right I'll get the shot.

I've heard the H1N1 is what's circulating right now, and the current shot has it in there, so seems like a good idea. Or I can just wait and I'll probably get immunized the hard way.

260 Rem 12-28-2013 04:07 PM

It concerns me that certain health care workers, like those working in Nursing Homes, in regular contact with an extremely vulnerable clientelle ---are not "required" to get shots as a condition of employment. The issue of individual rights is a thorny one.

Badgoodguy 12-28-2013 04:11 PM

I get a shot and I get sicker then a dog right away PASS

Divert 12-28-2013 04:14 PM

Death toll up to 5 with half a dozen in the province on Echmo (heart/lung bypass) due to the latest h1n1 outbreak. Personally I think its a bit like playing russian roulette, hope your feeling lucky if you dont get the shot this year. And FYI many of the dead were between 20-50 yrs old.

elkhunter11 12-28-2013 04:15 PM

I haven't had a flu shot, and I haven't had the flu in many years. On the other hand, a couple of people that work for me get their flu shots every year, and at least one of them seems to come down with the flu every year.

densa44 12-28-2013 04:19 PM

Pneumonia

It is said that it is the old man's friend. On the other hand if you want to try to live a bit longer, host resistance is the key. You being the host.

Very few diseases have been cured, just the ones vulnerable to anti biotics, all the rest small pox, polio, diphtheria etc. have been beat buy protecting the host through immunization.

In the wild west where many people turn their noses up at scientific medicine the grim reaper takes its toll.

Selkirk 12-28-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 260 Rem (Post 2257426)

I think the "shot" is developed to combat only one strain --say H1N1, so it gives pretty good protection against that strain...however, if you come into contact with
H1N2....you are not protected.

That ^ was true when the flu shots first came out, several years ago. Fortunately, that's not the case today.

Today's flu vaccines are designed to protect against the three or four influenza viruses that are predicted to be the most common during the flu season.

Mac

huntsfurfish 12-28-2013 04:53 PM

Been getting flu shots for about 8 years now. Works for me and will continue to get them.

Lornce 12-28-2013 04:57 PM

Also the Flu it vaccination can't give you the flu. That's because it's made from a dead form of the virus and such types of vaccines can't give you the infection. When people think they are coming with flu after getting the shot, doctors say they're were already incubating flu. Some people may experience minor discomforts such as headache or sore throat that last for a day or two as the vaccine kicks in. It takes approx. two weeks after the vaccination for our bodies to produce antibodies that protect against flu infection.

teledogs 12-28-2013 05:05 PM

I never get them. And I have not had the flu in over 10 years, I can't remember really ( I will have the flu now for saying that ). I always thought it was for vulnerable people like elders. I think it still rarely works because of the prediction of the strain.

my 2 cents.

troutbug 12-28-2013 05:14 PM

The wife, myself and our newborn 3 years ago all got h1n1 at the same time, baby ended up in hospital with the wife, I felt like running off a cliff would feel better. I was told once you had h1n1 that you cant get it again, not sure if that is true. Either way Iv gotten the flu shot once and right after I got it I was sicker then hell. so no shots for me

Scott h 12-28-2013 05:29 PM

I've seen numerous people with h1n1 so far this year. None have had the flu shot. If you want to bet your life on the wise words of Jenny Macarthy, you are much braver than I am. On the other hand I do end with a lot of overtime because of that type of thinking, so thanks in advance.

Gray Wolf 12-28-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt L. (Post 2257206)
Yep, fastest way to get the flu.

Congratulations Matt! :happy0034:

You just hit on Flu Myth #3 http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fe...p-13-flu-myths

Matt L. 12-28-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Wolf (Post 2257625)
Congratulations Matt! :happy0034:

You just hit on Flu Myth #3 http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fe...p-13-flu-myths

Damn. Was hoping to make #1.

1000yards 12-28-2013 05:39 PM

Hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but you offered a flu shot, so stab me maybe?

Just got mine a few hours ago at the shoppers pharmacy, get one every year, as your supposed to when living with someone with a immune condition.

I also stay up to date on my tetanus shots !
Such a good little boy I is :D

Gray Wolf 12-28-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasingtail (Post 2257477)
Very rarely do the shots contain the right strain of flu, it's all a guessing game and they are usually wrong, the virus changes and mutates, when it hits North America it's different then what they decided to put in the vaccine months earlier. The flu shot can lower your immune system so you more easily get one of the flu viruses the shot doesn't protect. Also lots of people that think they have the flu but really don't, usually it's some other stomach bug.

Wow! That's Class A hogwash, if I've ever seen it. What comic books have you been reading?! :scared0015:

260 Rem 12-28-2013 06:02 PM

On the news tonight, Dec 28, line-ups for the shots are getting long. Probably won't be long before we start criticising Alberta Health for the wait... I like the idea of pharmacies also giving the shots..got mine at Safeway a couple of months ago.