Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   stock ammo carrier legality (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=370987)

Eddy123 10-17-2019 10:17 PM

stock ammo carrier legality

So I was having a discussion with a buddy about this and I figured I’d post it here to see what the right answer is. So if one were to have a butt stock carrier on a rifle, would it be illegal to have it filled with ammunition while transporting it, even in a locked case.

catnthehat 10-17-2019 10:19 PM

The ammo is not in the rifle, no problem.
Would be no different if your rifle is on the seat beside you with the magazine on the seat.
Cat

Dick284 10-18-2019 05:29 AM

Straight from the transport and storage regs:

unloaded”, in respect of a firearm, means that any propellant, projectile or cartridge that can be discharged from the firearm is not contained in the breech or firing chamber of the firearm nor in the cartridge magazine attached to or inserted into the firearm. (non chargée)

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

A ammo sleeve or holder is not a magazine, nor is it installed anywhere near the feedway, or breech of the firearm.

lyallpeder 10-18-2019 06:12 AM

I agree with what they said above. But just for sake of argument, you could not store a firearm in a closet, with a trigger lock and an ammo sleeve. Because the ammo would then be readily available.

Dick284 10-18-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyallpeder (Post 4041704)
I agree with what they said above. But just for sake of argument, you could not store a firearm in a closet, with a trigger lock and an ammo sleeve. Because the ammo would then be readily available.

But if the firearm was stored in a locked container/vault/special room.

c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

You could keep ammo in the sleeve.

Regardless the question was about transporting a firearm.

And the locked case would likely suffice for storage as well.

Eddy123 10-19-2019 09:07 AM

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the insight!

Grizzly Adams 10-19-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick284 (Post 4041705)
But if the firearm was stored in a locked container/vault/special room.

c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

You could keep ammo in the sleeve.

Regardless the question was about transporting a firearm.

And the locked case would likely suffice for storage as well.

So, is a locked truck the same ? One that keeps me puzzled and more secure than some house storage I've seen.

Grizz

Dick284 10-19-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4042329)
So, is a locked truck the same ? One that keeps me puzzled and more secure than some house storage I've seen.

Grizz

The locked truck is considered transport if the stop is brief.
Storage within a vehicle is a quagmire of contradictions.

Ebrand 10-19-2019 05:39 PM

Vehicle-Container....

In the vehicle.

Non restricted.

Unloaded and out of sight in a locked vehicle.

I would absolutely argue that a locked vehicle meets the definition of “container”.

I would not do it for long ( going into eat / get gas ). It that is just me.

Dick284 10-19-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebrand (Post 4042472)
In the vehicle.

Non restricted.

Unloaded and out of sight in a locked vehicle.

I would absolutely argue that a locked vehicle meets the definition of “container”.

I would not do it for long ( going into eat / get gas ). It that is just me.

That’s because it’s part of the transport regs, not the storage regs.