Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Advice on legalities regarding abandoned vehicles (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239245)

winger7mm 12-14-2014 02:04 PM

Advice on legalities regarding abandoned vehicles

Im just wondering if anyone knows the legalities of abandoned unregistered vehicles left on private property?? Is there possesson rights?

Badgerbadger 12-14-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winger7mm (Post 2657881)
Im just wondering if anyone knows the legalities of abandoned unregistered vehicles left on private property?? Is there possesson rights?

It's been a few years since I had to, but from what I remember you have to put ads in local papers for a couple of weeks, including contact information in case the person or their friends need to get ahold of you. Then, after a period of time, (30 days?), you apply to have ownership transferred to you.

However, I'm not a lawyer, the above is incomplete, and you should contact Motor Vehicles to discuss the process with them.

purgatory.sv 12-14-2014 02:32 PM

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2006_251.pdf

Do not know but this document was once shared on this forum ,it is Alberta specific.

If you can search the vin it should give its last registered owner.

ice 12-14-2014 02:33 PM

This might help you.http://www.finance.alberta.ca/busine...perty/up1.html

elkhunter1234 12-14-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure about vehicles, but if your talking about my goose decoys and blinds I want then back... Lol.. Seriously though, when your done with them for the year just put them back in that gray horse trailer, the kids were wanting to get out a few time this year but I could never get ahold of you to get them back, (never really tried to hard as that would mean I would have to help set them up)

Jim..

winger7mm 12-14-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 (Post 2657981)
I'm not sure about vehicles, but if your talking about my goose decoys and blinds I want then back... Lol.. Seriously though, when your done with them for the year just put them back in that gray horse trailer, the kids were wanting to get out a few time this year but I could never get ahold of you to get them back, (never really tried to hard as that would mean I would have to help set them up)

Jim..

Anytime, just needed to let me know..... I remember getting shot down last time I tried to drop em off ;) lmao

schmedlap 12-14-2014 05:02 PM

Actually

If its worth anything then there is a process under the Possessory Liens Act of Alberta which is worth looking at. Find it at the Queen's Printer website and read it - not long or complicated.

Dacotensis 12-14-2014 05:09 PM

The Info you need is in the TSA.
I just read it a week or so ago.

I do believe the time is 6 months.

Get your Google on.

I've hauled plenty to the scrap yard for condo companies and private landlords.
The act has been written for me on paper to cma...
And theirs.

winger7mm 12-15-2014 09:20 AM

Thanks guys :) should be able to find out what im looking for!

spirit4u 03-02-2016 02:20 PM

Sorry I know this is an old thread. Where in the possessory liens should I be looking? There is an abandoned vehicle I would like to obtain. Has anyone gone through this process? Thanks.

coastalhunter 03-02-2016 02:31 PM

Sure they aren't stolen? God dam there a ton of either parted or drive till they die vehicles left around ft St. John

spirit4u 03-02-2016 03:24 PM

nope not stolen. The owner took the plate off and it has been sitting in the lot for more than a year now.

Kim473 03-02-2016 04:10 PM

If the car is a 1968 or 69 whatever, IT"S MINE !

schmedlap 03-02-2016 09:12 PM

Actually ...

if you want to obtain rights to the vehicle, and its disposition, go to the Queens Printer site, and look up the Possessory Liens Act. If you have "stored" the vehicle, and want to get rid of it and be paid for such storage, it is a pretty simple process, without relying on any public resources (such as cops who have much better things to do) or adminocracy to get it done.

RandyBoBandy 03-02-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

PM this valued member Ken07AOVette...He'll help you out :)

winger7mm 03-03-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLeahy (Post 3160974)
PM this valued member Ken07AOVette...He'll help you out :)

I found what I was looking for. I got it all done she just had to sign something or something I cant quite remember. But she wouldnt do it because the tow truck driver called saying he was on the way to get it. She wouldnt call and cancel!!!! URGHHHH It was a nice car