Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Balloon shot down.... (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=419779)

Bushmaster 02-04-2023 04:10 PM

Balloon shot down....

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/04/polit...est/index.html

Sooner 02-04-2023 04:20 PM

When I heard on the news last night that it was going to be above less inhabited lands, I figured its time in the air was limited. Pretty brazen for China to do that but not surprised.

I was hoping for more in that video

glen moa 02-04-2023 04:37 PM

I don’t know why it wasn’t shot down when it entered us air space. They say it had a large payload. That doesn’t make sense. Maybe it was dropping small packets off every so often.
Tell me why it had a large payload please.

stubblejumper01 02-04-2023 04:48 PM

I heard a report that there were at least 4 more of these floating around the world. The conspiracy theorists are already wondering if they were designed to spread biological contaminants or something

Phil McCracken 02-04-2023 05:04 PM

Coming from CNN, and assuming it is true...why wasn't it shot down when it flew over Canada? Norad confirmed that fact...:confused0024:

glen moa 02-04-2023 05:11 PM

Balloon over Canada ok. Ballon over USA no good.

ClutchCanadian4 02-04-2023 05:15 PM

Surprised it took this long but Im also skeptical. I don't believe any of the Canadian, US, or Chinese governments. Political theatre.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

urban rednek 02-04-2023 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Video from another angle:
https://imgur.com/gallery/G4eTcAI

Close up of the impact:
https://imgur.com/gallery/6fxJLkE

Reality:

IR_mike 02-04-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 (Post 4607230)
I heard a report that there were at least 4 more of these floating around the world. The conspiracy theorists are already wondering if they were designed to spread biological contaminants or something

Covid 26 by next week

jungleboy 02-04-2023 06:25 PM

I heard it was a delivery drone for a Beijing noodle house that went off track. This , gentlemen is why they have the 20 minutes or it’s free rule in place .

Blazer 1 02-04-2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClutchCanadian4 (Post 4607246)
Surprised it took this long but Im also skeptical. I don't believe any of the Canadian, US, or Chinese governments. Political theatre.

We all know why Trudeau didn't order it shot down... he's buddies with China... remember the Chinese police stations?

Grizzly Adams1 02-04-2023 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 (Post 4607230)

Would be a first class way to determine air flow patterns for biological warfare. :lol: Probably just a weather balloon that went astray, if they recover it, likely some information to be gained.

Grizz

fordtruckin 02-04-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleboy (Post 4607259)
I heard it was a delivery drone for a Beijing noodle house that went off track. This , gentlemen is why they have the 20 minutes or it’s free rule in place .

Haha I was gunna say Amazon delivery drone….

ClutchCanadian4 02-04-2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazer 1 (Post 4607263)
We all know why Trudeau didn't order it shot down... he's buddies with China... remember the Chinese police stations?

Or maybe because we can't shoot it down with the only aircraft in our fleet: Grounded air Canada planes lmao

fishnguy 02-04-2023 07:12 PM

^ Didn’t they only notice it when it was already over the United States?

bat119 02-04-2023 07:13 PM

China has satellites why would they use a balloon for spying?

I'm guessing a scientific balloon of some sort

fishnguy 02-04-2023 07:15 PM

^ That was my guess too. Who knows.

AltaBorn 02-04-2023 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bat119 (Post 4607289)
China has satellites why would they use a balloon for spying?

I'm guessing a scientific balloon of some sort

Chinese spy balloon - LOL. How many people have TikTok? Extra stupid if you made a dead file on TikTok containing all of your personal information left for family if you die. Geez… wonder who started that trend on TikTok? Who do you think owns TikTok.. The Chinese government. It’s 100% Chinese spyware.

fishnguy 02-04-2023 09:00 PM

The statement was that it was spying on the strategic locations and the argument is that the photographs taken in such a way are much more detailed than the ones taken from a satellite. My guess is it would be taken down long before if that was the case though. Tik tok has nothing to do with it.

AltaBorn 02-04-2023 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4607326)
The statement was that it was spying on the strategic locations and the argument is that the photographs taken in such a way are much more detailed than the ones taken from a satellite. My guess is it would be taken down long before if that was the case though. Tik tok has nothing to do with it.

Never said it had anything to do with TikTok. I said who needs spy balloons when you have TikTok.

MountainTi 02-04-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IR_mike (Post 4607255)
Covid 26 by next week

Sponsored by Moderna stickers plastered all over it :)

fishnguy 02-04-2023 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltaBorn (Post 4607329)
Never said it had anything to do with TikTok. I said who needs spy balloons when you have TikTok.

Because you cannot get pics of strategic sites/installations/etc with tik tok?

Puma 02-04-2023 09:17 PM

Yup

Apparently they (USA) had neutralized some of the electronics aboard some days ago.

Don't think for a minute that they didnt have eyes on this before it ever got to Alaska.

You dont get to be the worlds largest super power by being stupid.

fishnguy 02-04-2023 09:28 PM

^ Not necessarily. There was that Ukrainian drone few months ago flying over 4 countries in Europe before running out of fuel, crashing, and exploding in the last one, whichever one it was. At least one of the countries was supposed to be protected by the most modern air defense unit(s) installed by the United States some years ago. Also, there would be plenty of opportunity to shoot it down if they noticed it before Alaska without a risk of harming anyone on the ground, as they said why they didn’t put it down earlier. I fail to see any benefit of letting fly over Alaska and all of Canada, all the way to the low 48.

6.5 shooter 02-04-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban rednek (Post 4607249)
Video from another angle:
https://imgur.com/gallery/G4eTcAI

Close up of the impact:
https://imgur.com/gallery/6fxJLkE

Reality:

Interesting how the missle? Just happened to hit right at the payload balloon junction (smallest possible target) Out in the middle of the ocean so no useful equipment or data could be recovered?? A couple 50 cal. holes in the big balloon may have lowered it slower to earth... Seems a bit to convenient to me. But I guess I need a tighter tinfoil hat. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

PS the only reason this made the news was because a newspaper journalist spotted this thing in Montana and started asking questions

Grizzly Adams1 02-04-2023 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma (Post 4607334)
Apparently they (USA) had neutralized some of the electronics aboard some days ago.

Don't think for a minute that they didnt have eyes on this before it ever got to Alaska.

You dont get to be the worlds largest super power by being stupid.

Some of us would argue the US is no longer a super power and downright stupid. :lol:

Grizz

EZM 02-04-2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter (Post 4607342)

PS the only reason this made the news was because a newspaper journalist spotted this thing in Montana and started asking questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4607287)
^ Didn’t they only notice it when it was already over the United States?

I think this thing was spotted before it hit NORAD's defensive parameter off the coast of Alaska (as it crossed in there and down through Canada) and was out in the Pacific somewhere long before it flew over any US or Canadian territory.

Either way, I think they should have blasted (and recovered it) long before it got into the continental US - there are plenty of safe places in Alaska and over BC where they could have dropped it. Then again, maybe they said nothing to study what this stunt was all about before announcing it to the public.

Who knows. Such a strange thing to do. Seems to me it would be obvious this would be viewed as a provocation at the very least. Flying over another countries sovereign territory is clearly offside.

elkhunter11 02-04-2023 10:09 PM

The Chinese response.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02...na-spy-balloon

HyperMOA 02-04-2023 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4607349)

Subscription needed

sailor 02-04-2023 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 4607349)

Cannot read without log in as 98% here
PS. When site asking log in I answer - f.o.