Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fly-Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Redington Torrent 3wt vs St Croix Imperial 3wt (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=234094)

Alexey 10-24-2014 10:31 AM

Redington Torrent 3wt vs St Croix Imperial 3wt

I'm looking for a small creek rod.
Redington is 7'6 which could be an advantage in limited space, and possibly a bit stiffer. St.Croix is 1 foot longer, but it is 100$ cheaper.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Chief16 10-24-2014 11:59 AM

I can't speak for any of those models in particular, but I have a 3wt 7'6" and the shorter rod is actually great for smaller streams. You never really realized it until you use one but definitely makes a difference.

Bhflyfisher 10-24-2014 02:00 PM

Get the imperial. They are the best bargain stick on the market.

rycoma 10-24-2014 05:23 PM

Not sure about the torrent but the imperial is like a tree branch. Way to quick in my opinion for a small stream. Ct by redington or whatever it's called now. my favorite right now is echo's carbon. It has a matt finish that doesn't shine like a beacon small streams. I would like to get a butter stick or echo glass next year. Way more control and better for laying down flys smoothly.

Alexey 10-24-2014 05:43 PM

Thank you for opinions, guys

spinN'flyfish 10-24-2014 05:59 PM

I'd say St Croix is a pretty good deal and it might help you in nymphing and high sticking better

NCFlyfishin 10-24-2014 09:59 PM

I have an echo glass 4wt and it is 7'6" great rod for small streams, I just started using it this summer with an orvis access reel and I LOVE it! I'm pretty sure they make a 3wt as well, I would definitely recommend Echo glass rods, I even used it at some hike in cutthroat lakes and it was great

rycoma 10-24-2014 10:55 PM

Is the access a mid arbor reel as well. I have the old style redington rise on my carbon 3 wt 7'6 it's a mid arbor. I'm not a huge fan of the 8' to 9' rods on small streams. Or the large arbor reels

Pikecrazed 10-25-2014 10:50 AM

Redington Torrent 3wt vs St Croix Imperial 3wt

I love the blue halo rods they cast like a dream and overall a great rod

Flieguy 10-25-2014 04:25 PM

between those two I'd say st croix.

But I think you're making a mistake if you don't check out echo and greys

BigSky 10-27-2014 05:46 PM

i'd definitely check out some fiberglass rods for a 3 wt. You'll mostly be casting dries and might not want a faster stiffer rod. Or maybe you will? Fiberglass is tougher and will take a beating (which it usually will with a 3 wt). I've heard good things about the butterstick, echo glass and scott glass. I have an orvis superfine and its pretty much the only rod I fished last season. For me, glass has better accuracy and feels smoother. Much better at short casts, loads well into the cork. Just try out a bunch and see what you like. I know the temptation is to always see how far a rod casts, but realistically you should try short casts to a target under 30 ft to really test for the best one. Good luck

Okotokian 10-28-2014 09:50 AM

I'd say the shorter rod. I've tried some bushwhacking with my 9' 5wt and wished for something more compact and also not a fast action as my Sage. A nice little noodle would be perfect. I'm assuming you have something more robust for your average stream and river.

RisingRainbows 10-28-2014 10:18 AM

If you like the action of the St Croix Imperial it is made in North America so myself, I would lean towards that. I love my 5wt Imperial and it's not made in China!

Alexey 10-29-2014 08:50 AM

So, I finally bought St.Croix and tested it on a creek last Sunday.
It's very nice stick, but I need to admit I have very fly fishing limited experience.
The discounted price was one the main drivers to buy it and also the review on yellowstoneangler website.
Now I'm waiting for the next season :)

Okotokian 10-29-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RisingRainbows (Post 2595009)
If you like the action of the St Croix Imperial it is made in North America so myself, I would lean towards that. I love my 5wt Imperial and it's not made in China!

Neither are made in Canada. One is made in a country that wants to buy our oil, the other is made in a country that doesn't. ;)

Bhflyfisher 10-29-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexey (Post 2596266)
It's very nice stick, but I need to admit I have very fly fishing limited experience.
The discounted price was one the main drivers to buy it and also the review on yellowstoneangler website.

Good choice. You'll never go wrong with st croix sticks.

spinN'flyfish 10-29-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Sounds great :) I'm hoping to head out few more times til' next season :)

kevin1949 10-30-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

just my .02c but I would try to buy what suits me rather than whats on sale

Alexey 10-31-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1949 (Post 2597204)
just my .02c but I would try to buy what suits me rather than whats on sale

me too, if I knew what suited my needs better

Lornce 10-31-2014 12:28 PM

Redington Butter Stick

greylynx 11-16-2014 03:15 PM

An old Orvis 7' 9" . Now in the overpriced Superfine line. The old snob classic.
The line loads like an Old Colt Python hammer.

An old Sage 7' 6' Flight. Don't tell anyone, but that is my favourite rough and tough in the bushes "slingshot" .

Ozzzzz 11-17-2014 01:46 PM

I picked up a Grey's GRXi+ 7 foot 3 weight a couple years ago That I absolutely love on the small streams! I think it only cost me about $100, and being a 4 piece, it fits very well in a backpack.