Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Red Dot/Astigmatism (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352951)

SylverCANADA 10-13-2018 10:00 PM

Red Dot/Astigmatism

Greetings,

I am hoping to use a red dot on a handgun as this is now becoming a popular trend and want to try out new things.

The problem I am having is when looking at red dots they are fuzzy...I have discovered I most likely have starburst astigmatism.

Checked by the optometrist; things seemed fine. I am curious if anyone else had encountered this and had glasses prescribed and if they helped with the problem; or if there are any other solutions.

Otherwise sticking to iron sitghts I suppose.

Thank you for your feedback.

fps plus 10-14-2018 08:02 AM

I notice the same . Try changing the brightness it helped me

WhiteTailAB 10-14-2018 08:10 AM

Try a higher quality red dot. Maybe on a lower intensity too. My Burris fast fire 3 is better than my weaver rds. Also with my handgun I find with both eyes open it's more of a dot than it is with one eye closed.

obsessed1 10-14-2018 08:32 AM

I have starburst astigmatism...i turn the brightness setting as low as possible and use both eyes open. Doesn't fix the issue entirely but I've learned to manage

SylverCANADA 10-14-2018 11:58 AM

I tried checking out multiple red dots - there was a Leopuld Deltapoint that seemed ok. But even it being ok, it was really hard to bring the picture together as the fuzziness is quite distracting.

Ronan_357 10-14-2018 01:04 PM

I found it worse with some brands than others, also I found using sights/scopes with a luminated etched glass reticle better than a projected dot.

SylverCANADA 10-14-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronan_357 (Post 3855272)
I found it worse with some brands than others, also I found using sights/scopes with a luminated etched glass reticle better than a projected dot.

Yeah, wish I could go that route however, I am looking at this for a handgun. So options are limited...more than likely it will be iron sights I have to stick to

Ronan_357 10-14-2018 08:24 PM

I was reading that the dual illuminated rmr by Trijicon worked for a few people as it uses tritium and fibre optics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylverCANADA (Post 3855287)
Yeah, wish I could go that route however, I am looking at this for a handgun. So options are limited...more than likely it will be iron sights I have to stick to

operator john 10-14-2018 08:59 PM

Red Dot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylverCANADA (Post 3855287)

Have you checked out a peep sight?

JimW55 10-14-2018 09:05 PM

Hey bud,
I used to where glasses which helped with stigmatism and red/green deficiency. I’ve have since had my eyes laser corrected which fixed everything.

Ronan_357 10-14-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimW55 (Post 3855529)
Hey bud,
I used to where glasses which helped with stigmatism and red/green deficiency. I’ve have since had my eyes laser corrected which fixed everything.

LASIK never did anything for my astigmatism

Fasteddie01 10-30-2018 07:45 PM

Have you tried a Holo sight. They run around $500 at Bass Pro but you can find some for less on ebay. Try one at BP to see if it's any better than red-dot.