Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shore sturgeon rod suggestions (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=176070)

Fishnafterwork 04-22-2013 04:11 PM

Shore sturgeon rod suggestions

Hey all u wise and wonderful people

So as the title states I'm looking for a good rod to suit. Here's what I'm looking for....a rod that I can shore "spin" fish for sturgeon capable of being used right across Canada (whites and lakes)..... So I have and have used the shimano technium and love it... But I believe it's an amazing boat rod whereas I'm looking for a more specific purpose..(even though I have read guys use them from shore successfully )....I'm thinking for being able to pitch heavy weights far distance I need something long like 10' or more?... And because of the spin gear I would need it to have the larger guides to push the braid out nicely...so something with backbone and super sensitive tip... And I should state I'm looking for a high end top quality piece... From my research best I can figure is an ugly stick but I'm reluctant to that as I feel they are a great mid end rod... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

(if I had the coin I'd build a rainshadow.... But...)

EZM 04-22-2013 04:21 PM

"High end top quality piece" and ugly stick is like calling bologna a steak.

Shakespeare's products, at best, aspire to mediocrity, of which, it's premium rod, the ugly stick is mediocre at best when compared to a "high end top quality piece".

The ugly stick, you will note, does not come in, nor is rated for "action" (which requires some basic engineering). The rod blanks are simply parabolic is design which is old old technology.

This also makes them pretty good rods for certain applications - but they are far, far, far, away from what you are looking for - which is a long, med/hvy to heavy power - fast action rod for you ideal application.

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS ....

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont..._Spinning.html

That's the ticket ......

Geezle 04-22-2013 04:44 PM

What's your budget?

Cal 04-22-2013 05:01 PM

For the sake of accuracy I feel compelled to point out that the uglystick is not Shakespeare's premium rod. That would be the Agility, I've owned a few Agilitys and they are wicked rods for the price. In the world of fishing rods Uglystick is no Caddy but its a good pickup, depending on the weigh you are chucking and how much you want to spend either the "Catfish" or the "Salmon/ Steelhead" actions will catch you fish. The slow action works well with live bait and Circle hooks so I think they'd make a decent sturgeon rod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 1940876)

Shakespeare's products, at best, aspire to mediocrity, of which, it's premium rod, the ugly stick is mediocre at best when compared to a "high end top quality piece".

The ugly stick, you will note, does not come in, nor is rated for "action" (which requires some basic engineering). The rod blanks are simply parabolic is design which is old old technology.

This also makes them pretty good rods for certain applications - but they are far, far, far, away from what you are looking for - which is a long, med/hvy to heavy power - fast action rod for you ideal application.

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS ....

That's the ticket ......

the local angler 04-22-2013 05:26 PM

hmm interesting thread so far. i currently started with a berkley power pole for my first sturgeon rod and then i got a shimano triton down rigger rod thats med/heavy works great but casting with a shimano corsair is kinda difficult. my next sturgeon rod i got two years ago but have not used it yet is the ugly stick big game heavy action. at the same time i also bought another shakespear power rod just for giggles, i think the power rod will not do very well but think the ugly stick will. if you are sturgeon fishing in alberta i think an ugly stick heavy action would suffice but if you are going for the monster ones then not sure.

azn_rice_man 04-22-2013 06:05 PM

I recently got TFH to outfit me a couple setups for spinning from shore. Picked up the Shimano Soccoro 8000 with 50# braid and slapped that on the Shimano FX MedHeavy 8' rod. For the price, it seems pretty good. Will have to try it out now!

fish gunner 04-22-2013 07:01 PM

Go look at international fishing sites,heavy surf cast . Ill say 10-12 ' suitable for 50lb braid. Many companies we dont get on this side of the pond. If your really brave try 16' .

Fishnafterwork 04-22-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 1940876)

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS ....

That's the ticket ......

I think u nailed it!!.... By the looks of things this is exactly along the lines of what I'm looking for.... Now trying to track down 1 or 2 in the next 2 weeks...

Fishnafterwork 04-22-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 1941036)
Go look at international fishing sites,heavy surf cast . Ill say 10-12 ' suitable for 50lb braid. Many companies we dont get on this side of the pond. If your really brave try 16' .

Dunno if I'm 16' brave haha... Thanks for the advise... I did look at a couple like u mention but before I knew it I had the perfect ulua setup and still not exactly what I was looking for sturgeon haha :)

huntsfurfish 04-22-2013 09:16 PM

I think you would be better off with 2 rods. One for whites and one for lake sturgeon.

Fishnafterwork 04-23-2013 10:33 AM

Almost 800$ for the two I want.from cabellas ....ouch....:thinking-006: decisions decisions

huntsfurfish 04-23-2013 10:44 AM

Ouch is right, but you wouldn't have to buy both at same time. Might help a little.

EZM 04-23-2013 11:40 AM

Here's the perfect reel to go with that 10' MH Tiralejo .....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104837580

This reel (rated 170/16) will take 180 yards of 50lb braid and will provide you with 28lbs of drag .....

IF you are still looking for a premium set up - the rod is $300 and this reel is $370 but I guarantee this will fit your high end top quality prerequisite.

Fishnafterwork 04-23-2013 12:31 PM

Just picked up a thunnus CI4 8000.... I think this will do the trick for reel... I also have a big penn fierce....& probably use my shimano bait runner as well... Out to lunch?Is the sustain a better fit?

Fishnafterwork 04-30-2013 12:16 PM

Well the rods came in the mail today and I just wanted to put a huge thank you out to EZM for steering me towards these rods... They are perfect for what I was looking for.. Have to admit the 12' was a little intimidating looking until I put a giant reel on her...now the countdown begins to opening day :sHa_shakeshout:

Safety D 04-30-2013 01:43 PM

i much prefer fishin geons outa the boat !!!! its was better