Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   QAD ultra rest Vs. Ripcord (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=49821)

spotnstockhillbilly 01-12-2010 05:52 PM

QAD ultra rest Vs. Ripcord

hey guys i am torn between these two rests i not sure which one to use. just was tryin to find out how their working for everyone else.

JustinC 01-12-2010 06:21 PM

I love the Ultra rest.I think it is one of the best on the market.It has never failed at any temp.I have not tried the ripcord so I cant say anything about it.

3Dshooter 01-13-2010 12:25 AM

Both are great. I have the Ripcord on one of my bows and think it's great and an Octane Trip Wire w/ new "hunter friendly" launch arm on my second bow and really like this rest. The Ripcord has changed a little bit once again this year, now with a more silent launcher arm. I know you didn't mention the Octane. But I bring it up because it has a few features that I really like. The launcher can be "thumbed" to the shooting position, does not drop when you let down after full draw and doesn't rely on the cord to function and it drops very quickly with lots of clearance. The first Tripwires had more of a target launcher arm, the newer rests are supplied with a deeper forked launcher arm, more popular with hunting set ups.

SouthABFlyFisher 01-13-2010 05:47 AM

I am not a big fan of QAD's but I would suggest you look at trophy taker's. I have been shooting one for about 5 years now and it has never let me down.

BowhuntAB 01-13-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthABFlyFisher (Post 480339)
I am not a big fan of QAD's but I would suggest you look at trophy taker's. I have been shooting one for about 5 years now and it has never let me down.

X2 the most reliable rest ive ever used

7 REM MAG 01-13-2010 06:33 PM

X3 on trophy taker

Alta_Redneck 01-13-2010 07:16 PM

i have a rip cord and its working great. not sure about the others but the rip cord drops down even on a slow let down.

albertabenbuckkiller 01-13-2010 07:32 PM

I replaced a Ripcord with a QAD Ultra Rest last year. I feel the QAD is superior because of the slow let down feature. It seems like a good quality rest and has never failed me once yet. I haven't tried the trophy taker or any of the others mentioned. Good luck!

rielbowhunter 01-13-2010 11:23 PM

I have the QAD Ultra rest HD. Just put it on my new bow, and so far it works great!
I think it will be great not having to hold my arrow with my finger, when stalking.
My hunting partner has the Ripcord, i know he had tuning problems with it at first. but its still on his bow so I guess it must work good now or I know he would have replaced it.
The guys at Calgary Archery Center put mine on for me. Tied in the launcher cable, instead of using the cable clamp.

3Dshooter 01-14-2010 07:33 AM

I agree, to tie the launch cord, directly to your bow cable instead of using the supplied clamp.

spotnstockhillbilly 01-14-2010 04:15 PM

tying in the launcher cable throws you cams out of timming on dual cam units. because there is more resistance on one cam than the other. it wont bother with single cams tho

rielbowhunter 01-14-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spotnstockhillbilly (Post 481627)
tying in the launcher cable throws you cams out of timming on dual cam units. because there is more resistance on one cam than the other. it wont bother with single cams tho

How did you come to this conclusion? Because mind works fine,with a cam and 1/2.

spotnstockhillbilly 01-15-2010 01:47 AM

That is what all the archery shops have told me. jimbows brians sports centre lane archery whitetail ridge. It is because there is more pressure or resistance on one cam than the other. I am not saying its going totally screw your bow way stupidly outa tune there buddy but it can throw it out timming.

3Dshooter 01-15-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spotnstockhillbilly (Post 481627)

Tying the cord, or clamping the cord- same affect in regards to timing. You can tie too short, but you can clamp too short as well. Clamp allows adjustment on the tag end of the cord. This is why I like the Tripwire (Octane). The cord tightens and lifts the launcher arm and that's its only purpose. You could actually cut the cord when the arm is "up" and have no effect on the shot! This allows me to adjust the cord length to just lift the arm, with no excessive pressure on the cable.

russ 01-15-2010 09:00 AM

I use a draw board to set up drop away rests, a lot less foolin' around and a lot less complaining about how brand y is no good vs. brand x.

BowhuntAB 01-15-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck (Post 480933)
i have a rip cord and its working great. not sure about the others but the rip cord drops down even on a slow let down.

Its a great idea. However, it wasnt dropping away fast enough for one of my bows. Tried everything but there was still fletching contact. Went back to the trophy taker and have had no issues.