Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's the little things (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337658)

wildbill 01-20-2018 03:00 PM

It's the little things

This morning got me thinkin, it's the little things that bring me great joy, stuff that most people wouldn't notice, one of my favorites is just secretly watching my 9 year old playing, and all the sounds he makes, from the fake gun, pew, pew, to the various lego sounds, aaahhhh, bbbrruummm, vvvrrrooommm, it's like I was let in on a secret, that no one else seems to even notice, the little things............

Twisted Canuck 01-20-2018 03:07 PM

Totally understand, I'm like that listening to bessiedog get excited about the Oilers...so cute.:)

Kids and their imaginations....:lol:

wildbill 01-20-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3713321)
Totally understand, I'm like that listening to bessiedog get excited about the Oilers...so cute.:)

Haha, good one:)

antlercarver 01-21-2018 10:33 AM

Little things

Just wait till you have grandchildren. When your grandson or granddaughter
scores a hockey goal---wow
When they first start playing, with skates and helmet on, they can still skate
around inside the net and not bump their head
They are bigger than me now and are one of the best parts of my life.

Fisherpeak 01-21-2018 11:45 AM

Down in my man cave with the glass front wood stove blazing away and my hound dog crashed beside me with her big head on my lap while I read my book ,reclining on the worlds ugliest but most comfortable couch. Miserable day outside but sure nice in here.:)

dodger 01-21-2018 11:57 AM

That little twitch at the end of your fishing pole makes an old man snicker like a kid.

My nieces daughter makes my heart melt

Dodger.

pikergolf 01-21-2018 12:01 PM

Grandkids are the best. With kids you see the day to day problems, with Grandkids you see nothing but potential.

CaberTosser 01-21-2018 12:02 PM

I too have a 9 year old boy and was laughing this morning when he was noting in detail how he prefers his bacon 'flexible' to the crispy way that his Mom prefers hers cooked. Like father, like son :)

oilngas 01-21-2018 12:12 PM

Watching the slip bobber shake, rattle and go down.

Grandkids; their adjustments to each other, finding new things, tugging on the rod holder end of a nice fish, their joy at letting it go "to live another day", playing and how they settle differences.

Xbolt7mm 01-21-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fisherpeak (Post 3713851)
Down in my man cave with the glass front wood stove blazing away and my hound dog crashed beside me with her big head on my lap while I read my book ,reclining on the worlds ugliest but most comfortable couch. Miserable day outside but sure nice in here.:)

^^^^^^^^ this

stuckincity 01-21-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildbill (Post 3713318)
This morning got me thinkin, it's the little things that bring me great joy.........

"Little things" is right. Today and at least twice a week its my little granddaughter that brings me the most joy.

When I'm visiting there and just seeing her and playing with her, all the hassles and BS in life don't seem to matter too much in the long run. :)

Selkirk 01-21-2018 05:48 PM

Watching my son make another good decision :happy0034:

Selkirk

wildbill 01-21-2018 05:55 PM

...or makin pancakes with Saskatoons the wife and her friends picked this summer from a berry patch that this spring,summer and, fall had been shared with mule deer, white tail deer, moose, elk, black bear and grizzlies on the family homestead on Drywood creek at the foot of the Rockies, still got about ten pounds frozen, plus lots of jam, should last till next summer. Those little berries, part of a much bigger picture........

liar 01-21-2018 06:04 PM

picking up my 9 year old granddaughter from school and when a classmate asks her why " that old man " picks her so often she replies without hesitation " because hes my best friend "

buckbrush 01-21-2018 06:22 PM

Just thinking bout spending time with the kids and the fun things we can do during my time off helps me get through a tough stressful day at work.

It often makes me wonder though, it's fun doing things that cost money and buying things but honestly the best memories I have with my kids are mainly ones that didn't cost a dime. Is it a fair trade off to spend soo much time away to have extra things when the quality of life may not even be that much better?

I also enjoy seeing my son watch me from across the shop when I am working on something. Reminds me to take a break, call him over and show him a thing or two that might help him in the future.

Don_Parsons 01-21-2018 06:51 PM

My normal days take to the top of the world to spend time with loved ones who have departed our world.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162144.../shares/kZ1w13

The cold winds are the bitter sweet of life.
A bon fire of Spruce bows as the smoke drifts into distances I can't reach.
It is at the peak of the mountains where I'm the closest to those I remember.

Their presents is in the sights, sounds and smells.
The best part is watching the sun set behind the mountains as I say so long to good friends,,, till we meet again.

Don

wildbill 01-21-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Parsons (Post 3714127)
My normal days take to the top of the world to spend time with loved ones who have departed our world.

The best part is watching the sun set behind the mountains as I say so long to good friends,,, till we meet again.

Don

That was deep

wildbill 01-21-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckbrush (Post 3714105)
Just thinking bout spending time with the kids and the fun things we can do during my time off helps me get through a tough stressful day at work.

It often makes me wonder though, it's fun doing things that cost money and buying things but honestly the best memories I have with my kids are mainly ones that didn't cost a dime. Is it a fair trade off to spend soo much time away to have extra things when the quality of life may not even be that much better?

I also enjoy seeing my son watch me from across the shop when I am working on something. Reminds me to take a break, call him over and show him a thing or two that might help him in the future.

Yes, took the boy and a few others fishin a few times on dry wood, and it always turned into catching frogs putting em into Gatorade bottles, getting gun and sword shaped sticks and throwing rocks very cheap entertainment :)

colroggal 01-21-2018 07:26 PM

Waiting, waiting and waiting for the faint 'tink' of a hand cast 405 grain slug to echo back from the 800 yard gong.

Even better is the maniacal giggle of a 12 year old the first time he does it.

Colin

roper1 01-22-2018 08:22 PM

The little things one remembers about them, now they're having kids. Great memories!

Ken07AOVette 01-22-2018 08:39 PM

When my Grandson thinks I haven't looked at him for a minute, tips his head over and locks onto me until he makes sure I have made eye contact, then smiles and giggles when he knows he has my full and undivided attention. He started this when he was under 3, is 4 now.

wildbill 01-28-2018 09:58 PM

So, long story short, the wife drug me’n the boys out to Walmart cause she needed sewing supplies cause all the fabric stores in Lethbridge are closed on Sunday. Me’n the 9yo got a prank we always do when we go it’s a beaut too, we get the electronic moose call from the hunting section put the dial all the way up and hit the mating call button, but this is of course after we hide it in a well traveled isle at the back of a shelf, let me tell you, this call goes on for like ten minutes, and is pretty loud, the reactions of people walkin by are priceless, we dang near wiz ourselves laughing at these people, the wife gets right choked when we do it though, aaahhhh the little things:)

trophyhunter 01-29-2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Parsons (Post 3714127)

Don

Like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hayseed 01-29-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liar (Post 3714095)
picking up my 9 year old granddaughter from school and when a classmate asks her why " that old man " picks her so often she replies without hesitation " because hes my best friend "

Best post ever!!

Albertadiver 01-29-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck (Post 3713321)

:lol:

Fisherpeak 01-29-2018 03:37 PM

At our summer campsite my wife got the grandkids finger painting and one of them put a hand print on the hood of my Rhino. She was horrified but when I saw it I got all the grandkids to do the same. 8 of them. That was 10 years ago and I still have those little handprints on the hood. I clear coated them so they stay forever. Now they are growing so fast. And they love old Papa Joe.

comaderek 01-29-2018 04:58 PM

Just sitting to the bush hunting listening and watching. Sound and site squirrel running around. Sound of a raven flapping his wings over heard. Coyotes howling at dusk.
Daylight breaking on a goose hunt.
The feel and sound of my dads old 30-30.
Watching the nieces and nephews get excited during a hunting trip.
The smile of my older cousin as I arrive to pick him up knowing it means he had a successful hunt on the place I told him to go.
As real nice spring day ice fishing. Sitting outside winter jacket off soaking up the sun.

I kept post on the hunting and fishing side of things.

Norwest Alta 01-29-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayseed (Post 3719235)
Best post ever!!

X2

operator john 01-29-2018 05:53 PM

It's the little things

Just pick up a book of Calvin and Hobbs. Brings back some childhood memories

urban rednek 01-29-2018 06:30 PM

Ideas

4 Attachment(s)
In no particular order. :)