Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wetskins? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=53640)

redranger15 02-28-2010 06:48 PM

Wetskins?

I have a wetskin rain pants and jacket from costco.I will be going on a caribou hunt his year and was wondering if thess will work or will I be sweating my azz off? I have only used them for fishing in the boat and they worked well.How many of you have wetskins and do you guys get pretty sweated up when you start to put on some miles? I was going to go out and buy some rain gortex rain paints , but do I really need them?I have a rem 6-1 coat that I will using and was just thinking about my bottom half. Wetskin users what do you think?

Albertadiver 02-28-2010 07:08 PM

Yes, you need gortex. You will not be comfortable in wetskins if it gets ugly out there.

(I have both)

woods_walker 02-28-2010 07:20 PM

You will be substantially more happy if you have a goretex rain suit. At a minimum the jacket. I have always found that rain pants leave me wet regardless of whether they are goretex or good pants like wet skins. When I have not worn my goretex jacket and wear one of my other rain suits like wet skins or my helly hansens, I feel like I have worn a garbage bag. I work in the forest for my job and you really notice the advantages of goretex rain gear in staying comfortable all day.

sheepguide 02-28-2010 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wet skins are hotter for sure. They do work well though.

Attachment 20064

Rockymtnx 02-28-2010 08:41 PM

I would spend the money and go with Gor-Tex.
I have numerous Wetskins suit and use them for quadding. They keep the water out but don't breath worth a hoot. I sweat in them and get soaked from the inside.

redranger15 02-28-2010 08:54 PM

Any one try the remington rain/sentblocker pants at wally world? If I wasn't planing on doing much walking the wetskins might be alright or if it's cooler I would think.I heard people say that if it's breathable it's leakable.Also any feed back on Kings rain gear?

Matt L. 03-01-2010 09:38 AM

Get the best quality Gore-tex you can afford though. I have had Gore-tex fail on me, not fun.

Knotter 03-01-2010 01:40 PM

another vote for gore-tex. Might want to try merino unders for a great combo.

Tundra Monkey 03-01-2010 02:54 PM

I'd scratch the gore-tex and get your self some H/H Impertech :wave:

tm

redranger15 04-09-2010 06:58 PM

Was at costco the other day and they had the "new improved" wet skins.They are now claiming to be breathable.The old ones are made of 75%polyester/25%poly vinyl chloride. The new ones are 100%polyurethane. I went up from a medium to a large and the new ones are a full pound lighter.Every pound counts when I'm packen for my caribou hunt. Hope they pass the test.