Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scope selection (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=173646)

Northern Canuck 04-02-2013 08:39 PM

Scope selection

I am looking at buying a new scope to put on top of my Browning Camo Composite SS ABolt rifle. I am looking at the Leupold VX3 3.5 - 10 x 40 scope in silver with Leupold Silver mounts, but am not sure if it will match the Browning SS. Does anyone have one mounted? If so how do you like it? The matte black and silver have the same specs so as far as quality they are the same, now it comes down to looks. If it doesn't match I will probably go with matte black.
Thanks

dogslayer403 04-02-2013 09:06 PM

Personally I would go matte black I cant stand the look of silver scopes on any rifle just my personal preference,if your set on it take your rifle to the place your purchasing and see how it matches up.

HunterDave 04-02-2013 09:54 PM

I like matte black on stainless as well. :)

baptiste_moose 04-03-2013 12:24 PM

If you go on leupold's website you can custom order scopes through leupold for a cheaper price then sold at stores. Tons of colors and options available. They make a color color called gun metal grey. It looks amazing and matches SS very well. Have a peek.

double gun 04-03-2013 01:06 PM

I know I am the minority, but I prefer silver scopes on stainless rifles when they are available. Matte is good on blued rifles, rifles with black actions/stainless barrels, its even okay on a stainless rifle with a black stock. But when the stock is one color (say grey,green or brown) the metal is stainless and the scope is matte it doesn't do it for me at all (yes i have some like that aswell) It's like it was made out of parts from the lost and found. I know I am the minority, but I think it's most important to build it to your personal taste.

Scott N 04-03-2013 01:59 PM

I'm another guy who prefers matte black scopes / rings / bases on stainless rifles. To each their own I guess.

Ice Fishing Maniac 04-03-2013 02:46 PM

I have several Leupold scopes on my Sako & Tikka rifles....some matte black, one silver, one gunmetal grey. The silver is on a laminate stainless, same with the gunmetal grey. Matte black on SS Sakos.

To each their own. I recently just picked up a matte 4.5-14x40BC reticle from P & D for my Sako m75ss 270WSM. Probably going with stainless rings.

if you like like silver, go with it..its a Leupold. I know the LEupold silver compared to say Bushnell...there is a difference.

Northern Canuck 04-03-2013 04:31 PM

Silver scope

I think that matte black looks good on a black stocked rifle. Mine has a Mossy Oak Brush camo stock. I too wondered of it would look pieced together. One benefit to going black though is that I could put it one of my other rifles if I wanted to and it would look fine.

CheeseBurger 04-03-2013 09:16 PM

It will be easier to resell a matte black scope too, if you ever decided to do so. But do whatever you think looks better, it's your rifle. :)