Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   G5 Montecs (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=350305)

DeerMachine11 08-27-2018 06:06 PM

G5 Montecs

Hey guys, I’ve been shooting the Montec 100 grains for about 3 years now, without taking an animal. Always seem to be a better rifle hunter than archer lol aren’t we all? But I digress, I shoot the pre season model quite a bit to stay sharp, but I’m wondering what your experience is with them. Good buddy of mine arrowed a mule buck about 10 years ago and made short work of him with a Montec, how are your experiences with them on larger game like elk and moose? I have a diamond honing stone for sharpening them, which I’ll get to use if I ever kill something with em lol thanks in advance for the replies.

58thecat 08-27-2018 06:44 PM

Complete pass through on my moose a few years ago, 20 ish yards, then a whitetail buck too....so if you do your part you are good to go.

Soab 08-27-2018 07:25 PM

Shot 2 bull elk w them. Pass through on both at 30 yards. No tracking went 20 yards, all I'll shoot for now

Twisted Canuck 08-27-2018 07:41 PM

I've taken two white tail and two black bear with them. One bear I shot a bit too far back and had to track 100 yards, the rest were 10-30 yards. Pass through on all. Not the best blood trail, but they work if you do your part. Keep them sharp.

reddeerhunter 08-27-2018 08:15 PM

All around great head to 35 yds, I hate the whistle and the type of steel. But my very close friend uses nothing but and he has near a dozen P&Y elk. Mostly pass thrus, short draw length and 70lbs.

Lefty-Canuck 08-27-2018 08:34 PM

I have been trying a newer head, Tooth of The Arrow. It’s a cross between the Slick Trick and a Montec, taking the best of both designs. Easy to tune and very accurate to 100 yrds I have tested so far. Worth a look...super sharp and stay that way.

LC

tracker 08-28-2018 12:42 PM

I started out using Montecs and quickly began to question why they were hyped. They're notoriously dull and difficult to sharpen. They come with the G5 inflated price tag. I had the misfortune of missing an animal on occasion and found they bend out of shape easily. There are too many better options out there in my opinion. The Stryker or a similar broadhead from another manufaacturer is a much better choice.

Stinky Buffalo 08-28-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3832716)
I have been trying a newer head, Tooth of The Arrow. It’s a cross between the Slick Trick and a Montec, taking the best of both designs. Easy to tune and very accurate to 100 yrds I have tested so far. Worth a look...super sharp and stay that way.

LC

Never heard of them before... Will be looking into them! Thanks, Lefty!

Grump 08-28-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 3832716)

LC

Google isn't being friendly right now - did you pick them up somewhere north of the border?

coyotekiller 08-28-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grump (Post 3833052)
Google isn't being friendly right now - did you pick them up somewhere north of the border?

They can be ordered online or they can be bought at exsile reloaded in llodyminster now i believe

reddeerhunter 08-28-2018 07:25 PM

Montec thread

Poor guy asks about his 50$ Montecs and he is getting Tooth of the Arrow reviews. Nice derail gents.

Montecs will do its job every time. Good luck bud.

DeerMachine11 08-28-2018 08:40 PM

Ah don’t you worry about that. I appreciate all the advice, even the stuff about the other heads. I’m sure they work great too! Shoot straight on Saturday lads! Or this week if you just an August 25 zone!

Lefty-Canuck 08-28-2018 08:57 PM

Sorry for my part in the derail, didn’t mean to! ADD is a bitch...look squirrel! If anyone wants to discuss TOTA drop me a message.

LC

reddeerhunter 08-28-2018 10:19 PM

The archery forum is the best, love it. Sure miss LOST though.
Good luck all you guys & gals, Sept 1 is upon us southerners.

Hope the Montecs fly true, and the TOTA :)

Lefty-Canuck 08-28-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddeerhunter (Post 3833338)
The archery forum is the best, love it. Sure miss LOST though.
Good luck all you guys & gals, Sept 1 is upon us southerners.

Hope the Montecs fly true, and the TOTA :)

Same to you man!

LC

Passthru 08-28-2018 11:43 PM

If they work like Strikers then they get the job done with any animal you aim at. I just like the convenience of replaceable blades.

SteveY66 08-30-2018 03:17 PM

I shot a bull last year with the montecs, complete pass through and great blood trail at the beginning.

After 400 yards dried up and i didnt find him.

Still lose sleep at night because of this..................................

reddeerhunter 08-30-2018 03:59 PM

Nothing to do with the BH.
Must have hit one lung or none. Sh1tty.