Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Guns & Ammo Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   To scope or not to scope SKS (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=352556)

Joezam18 10-06-2018 07:46 PM

To scope or not to scope SKS

I have been offered a Burris Fullfield II scope with rings for $100. It is going to replace my “god knows what” scope that came with my 308. I’ve used the 308 scope(3x9) and it’s a decent scope, not not half as good as the Burris. My only other rifle I have is an old trusty SKS. I am really leaning towards using the old scope on it. I would get the Kodiak rail from cabelas and switch com using stripper clips to installing a tapco sks magazine. So since the 100$ for the new scope (with rings) is quite a steal, i think I can justify 140$ on a rail and magazine. Before I proceed I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with scoping an sks (holding zero, accuracy between 100-175 yards, ease of scoping). I know a lot of people are against “bubba-ing” an sks, but mine was already painted in snow camo by the previous owner, so it’s not like it’s a historical relic or anything. Just thought I would see if anyone else who has tried adding a rail system to their sks has any words of wisdom for me. Thanks.

Nyksta 10-06-2018 08:48 PM

Do you need to see targets clearer that your gun is too inaccurate to hit? A 4 to 6 moa gun with 7.62x39 ballistics will at best be hunting to 100 to 200 yards and plinking gongs to maybe 250 or 300... is the expense of parts, bulk and weight of scoping it worth it to increase your precision with an imprecise tool. Maybe your sks is a tack driver, if so ignore everything i just said.

wheeler 10-06-2018 08:49 PM

Can’t say I’m a fan of a scope on an SKS. I have mine in the Tapco stock with matching #s but personally prefer the open sights. Each to their own...

gunluvr 10-07-2018 05:59 AM

Sure...just perch it on the dust cover and wrap it with duct tape.

Bob123 10-07-2018 07:30 AM

The sks might not be the most accurate gun, but with the scope at least you can capture what accuracy it does have. The irons leave something to be desired on them. I'd say go for it, and if the scope is too much for it you could always slap a red dot on the rail later

Pioneer2 10-07-2018 08:13 AM

mount

If the mount doesn't fastened/D+T to the side of the receiver forget it as accuracy will be minute of barn door. Choate or Pro-mag in steel not aluminum.

Bushleague 10-07-2018 08:22 AM

My brother has a SKS with a scope on it, I cant get a good cheek weld with that thing and therefore I shoot it poorly. He does ok with it, but I've seen plenty of guys with scoped millsurps that cant hit jack with them, and I suspect it is because of the poor cheek weld.

I'd rather shoot irons myself than try to use a scope with my head hovering somewhere over the comb, just doesn't work for me.

Dubious 10-07-2018 10:09 AM

As already mentioned drilling and tapping and cutting some wood out of the stock to make a mount is best. Anything attached to the dust cover is a waste of time/money/equipment. And then is there the vertical ejection to consider. The sks is a poor candidate for putting a scope on there poor quality and less than stellar accuracy will lead you down a path of spending a lot of cash on a 200$ rifle. The Kodiak rail and the mag(s) will likely exceed the cost of the initial purchase of the rifle. I have an sks and I really wanted to scope it until I found that a semi 22 is more accurate at 100 yards and cheaper to shoot. Good luck if you find a combo that works really well let us know I’m sure there lots of guys interested in a decent sks scope mod.

Groundhogger 10-07-2018 12:38 PM

I say you should scope it, why not? As long as your expectations are where they should be in terms of accuracy...have some fun! If you want to keep that beast scoped and add another Russian to the collection for cheap, that's still something very easy to do. Don't overthink things like I'm inclined to do. lol I ignore 95% of the fun things I dream up...and shouldn't!

6.5swedeforelk 10-07-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joezam18 (Post 3851417)

... My only other rifle I have is an old trusty SKS...

Can you tell me how the word "Trusty" would apply to the SKS,
other than making a bang every time the trigger is pulled?

I suppose that the scope would give you a clearer picture
of what you've missed the last 10 shots.

Joezam18 10-07-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk (Post 3851756)
Can you tell me how the word "Trusty" would apply to the SKS,
other than making a bang every time the trigger is pulled?

I suppose that the scope would give you a clearer picture
of what you've missed the last 10 shots.

Trusty: always goes “bang”.

Pioneer2 10-07-2018 04:27 PM

proven

Twice as accurate than an AK and designed from a scaled down anti-tank weapon.Mine shoots 2" groups with irons off the bench ......will it shoot worse with a scope ? Unlikely.Cheek weld ........ever shoot a scoped Lee Enfield?

Nyksta 10-07-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3851823)
Twice as accurate than an AK and designed from a scaled down anti-tank weapon.Mine shoots 2" groups with irons off the bench ......will it shoot worse with a scope ? Unlikely.Cheek weld ........ever shoot a scoped Lee Enfield?

Amazing. I guess there is the chance of 1 in 15 million

Dubious 10-07-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3851823)

what scaled down antitank rifle was the sks a copy of? these sks threads make them seem larger than life there no middle ground. People either see them as complete junk or Thors hammer instead of what they are a 1943 design for a semi auto fighting rifle that was obsolete the moment it went into service due to the development of the ak-47. they shoot well for a rifle of there price point and they preform as expected for there age and construction. you always hear of the sub Moa sks iron site rifles but ive yet to see one in person they are pretty typical in there performance.

Pioneer2 10-07-2018 05:41 PM

This one read up

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...lso-by-Siminov

Pioneer2 10-07-2018 05:43 PM

SKS accurizing

Most have off center crowns an easy fix then there's bedding. The Yugo's are the most accurate ,old type 56 Chinese then the Soviet version generally speaking.Your mileage may vary.

Pioneer2 10-07-2018 05:53 PM

mount

http://westrifle.com/wrstore/index.p...hpr7dijt2e3g50

sailor 10-07-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joezam18 (Post 3851417)
I have been offered a Burris Fullfield II scope with rings for $100. It is going to replace my “god knows what” scope that came with my 308. I’ve used the 308 scope(3x9) and it’s a decent scope, not not half as good as the Burris. My only other rifle I have is an old trusty SKS. I am really leaning towards using the old scope on it. I would get the Kodiak rail from cabelas and switch com using stripper clips to installing a tapco sks magazine. So since the 100$ for the new scope (with rings) is quite a steal, i think I can justify 140$ on a rail and magazine. Before I proceed I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with scoping an sks (holding zero, accuracy between 100-175 yards, ease of scoping). I know a lot of people are against “bubba-ing” an sks, but mine was already painted in snow camo by the previous owner, so it’s not like it’s a historical relic or anything. Just thought I would see if anyone else who has tried adding a rail system to their sks has any words of wisdom for me. Thanks.

Of course not.If your SKS is original military one and not modified as "commercial hunting carbine" by russian factory "Molot" (what we are getting here for last few years are modified carbines) then just keep it for another 10 years and if it still in nice shape you will sell it for a price of Garand and get enough funds for a good hunting rifle or even AR15:)

Digger1 10-07-2018 09:06 PM

I was gonna scope a nice Tula SKS a few years ago. Even bought the side mount rail thing. But when I saw how terrible it grouped with 4 different types of ammo at 40 yards.... there's no way I want a better view of that. And the Chinese one I had was even worse. LOL But hey, they're fun.

Bob123 10-10-2018 11:54 AM

You can find the full length rails for $60 online. The scope and rings can always be moved to a different rifle so your not out the cost of those. I plan on getting an sks and already have a 1.25-5 for it. It might not be a one hole gun but I prefer using scopes anyway, even if it just stays at the lowest setting to dump mags at pop bottles

Joezam18 10-10-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob123 (Post 3853341)
You can find the full length rails for $60 online. The scope and rings can always be moved to a different rifle so your not out the cost of those. I plan on getting an sks and already have a 1.25-5 for it. It might not be a one hole gun but I prefer using scopes anyway, even if it just stays at the lowest setting to dump mags at pop bottles

Any chance you could send me a link for a cheap full length rail?

West O'5 10-13-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunluvr (Post 3851573)
Sure...just perch it on the dust cover and wrap it with duct tape.

LOL....couldn’t hurt.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3851450)
Do you need to see targets clearer that your gun is too inaccurate to hit? A 4 to 6 moa gun with 7.62x39 ballistics will at best be hunting to 100 to 200 yards and plinking gongs to maybe 250 or 300... is the expense of parts, bulk and weight of scoping it worth it to increase your precision with an imprecise tool. Maybe your sks is a tack driver, if so ignore everything i just said.

Putting lipstick on a pig,why bother?

Pioneer2 10-13-2018 03:46 PM

Ya they don't shoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoVb70yFKLI

Pioneer2 10-13-2018 03:47 PM

This one also defective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-v0dXpnK8

West O'5 10-15-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pioneer2 (Post 3854828)

He hit a 10 MOA target 8 outta ten times....yep,she’s a real tackdriver,lol 🙄

FQ2 10-15-2018 11:00 PM

the words sks and scope don't go together. Ever.

Cheap rifle, cheap ammo, 16 pound trigger, block sights, sloppy, made for the masses, great truck rifle perhaps to maybe put down the revoultion,

Pioneer2 10-16-2018 09:27 AM

mute point

Quote:

Originally Posted by West O'5 (Post 3856004)
He hit a 10 MOA target 8 outta ten times....yep,she’s a real tackdriver,lol 🙄

Feel free to stand in front of him then holding your wife's dinner plates.The gun and cartridge was designed to kill humans at 400 meters.So it meets or exceeds these goals not going to the Olympics to compete.

Bob123 10-16-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joezam18 (Post 3853368)
Any chance you could send me a link for a cheap full length rail?

https://truenortharms.com/default_sk.../category/200/

This is the scope rail I ordered.

https://www.amazon.ca/Visionking-1-2...16L&ref=plSrch

This is the low power scope I got for it. I've been using it on my 22 while I'm putting my sks together and really like it. If I dont like it on the sks it'll just go back on the 22. I'm sure most people have wasted more money on dumber things then a $60 scope rail. I'm not trying to tacticool my sks, it's still got the wood stock and factory mag. A scope is just more practical and easier to use for me. Even if it does just stay on 1.25 power

Parker Hale 10-16-2018 10:27 AM

Never could figure out why someone needs a scope on a boat anchor!!!

KGB 10-16-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob123 (Post 3856178)
https://truenortharms.com/default_sk.../category/200/

This is the scope rail I ordered.

https://www.amazon.ca/Visionking-1-2...16L&ref=plSrch

This is the low power scope I got for it. I've been using it on my 22 while I'm putting my sks together and really like it. If I dont like it on the sks it'll just go back on the 22. I'm sure most people have wasted more money on dumber things then a $60 scope rail. I'm not trying to tacticool my sks, it's still got the wood stock and factory mag. A scope is just more practical and easier to use for me. Even if it does just stay on 1.25 power

Good for you! Get it done and go have some fun! Don’t listen to anybody, you are not building this rifle to win an Olympic competition. This gun is cheap and fun! I did put a scope on mine but then I did take it off. Dunno, but someth8ng didn’t feel right shooting sks with a scope. It feels way better with an iron sight. But as I said, go ahead and tr6 it. After all, it’s cheap entertainment.