Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Game meat consumption survey (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=428567)

pikeslayer22 01-17-2024 06:56 PM

Game meat consumption survey

Has anyone read over or filled this out yet? Spooky survey seems to be written by Antis or someone with interest in game farms. Sent out by Relm

huntinstuff 01-17-2024 09:50 PM

I looked at all of it then deleted it.

Any of these surveys and reports and crap like that I look at and delete.

If they wanna know how deer tastes, go shoot one and cook it. Or eat it raw for all I care.

fishnguy 01-17-2024 10:05 PM

Didn’t get one. Maybe because I didn’t shoot a deer this year and they think I forgot what it tastes like :)

Dewey Cox 01-17-2024 10:07 PM

It's from the university of Alberta.
I'm not helping some kid do his homework for free.

bezzola 01-18-2024 07:08 AM

I filled mine out its a long survey and they ask alot of the same questions just in different terms.
Now every day i get the same survey. Bastards lol

graybeard 01-18-2024 08:26 AM

I thought our personal information was secure when we purchase a license. I have NEVER given the government or any survey company, permission for anyone to contact me...

I cooperate with the hunting license success survey only.

As for what venison tastes like, it is relative...however for those that don't know; it tastes like venison....

pikeslayer22 01-18-2024 08:43 AM

Lots of questions worded the same. Lots around if you were unable to hunt would you still consume wild game. Also if you tho k you are eating it for health reasons

fishnguy 01-18-2024 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 4693944)
Lots of questions worded the same. Lots around if you were unable to hunt would you still consume wild game. Also if you tho k you are eating it for health reasons

How do they think one gets to (regularly) consume “wild game” if one doesn’t hunt?

Smoky buck 01-18-2024 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4693958)
How do they think one gets to (regularly) consume “wild game” if one doesn’t hunt?

You could go straight up hillbilly and cruse for roadkill but don’t forget to give it the sniff test :sHa_sarcasticlol:

As for the survey I have not noticed it yet or I didn’t get it. Sounds like a waste of my time and a waste of money/resources that should have been spent on improving wildlife populations instead

pikeslayer22 01-18-2024 09:21 AM

Purchase it

dave99 01-18-2024 09:51 AM

I filled out the survey- it was an odd and frustrating one in that several questions were redundant as the survey tried to categorize the motivation of people to eat wild meat, but did so through way too many questions.

As for this being used as a tool by the anti crowd as a means to shut down hunting, I think this opinion is wrong and borders on paranoid. But maybe I’m just naive…

dave99 01-18-2024 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4693958)

My wife and parents eat plenty of wild meat while not themselves being the hunter.

I do agree though, in that the survey is sent to a bunch of hunters, asking them how they obtain wild meat!

270WIN 01-18-2024 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 4693972)
I filled out the survey- it was an odd and frustrating one in that several questions were redundant as the survey tried to categorize the motivation of people to eat wild meat, but did so through way too many questions.

I got part way through it and reached the same conclusion so I quit and deleted it. A complete waste of my time.

byronick87 01-18-2024 11:38 AM

yeahh..go figure that one out yourselves. pay me if you want info
had to do that stupid harvest survey too but that was a mandatory one.

Pekan 01-18-2024 11:50 AM

It would take more than the government to keep me from hunting.
If it got banned I'd go full Robin Hood. Or full William Wallace right down to the blue face paint!

That should be the survey question, would you comply with a hunting ban? Yes or No?

CNP 01-18-2024 05:49 PM

I filled it in. The first question I think asked something to the effect of what three words come to mind when considering consuming wild game. I answered with: Steak, Merlot, Merlot.

calgarychef 01-19-2024 12:09 AM

I filled it out, it doesn’t sound sinister to me at all.

waldedw 01-19-2024 06:05 AM

Never got it, probably because my tags were decorations on the Xmas tree this year :thinking-006:

Bushrat 01-19-2024 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldedw (Post 4694164)
Never got it, probably because my tags were decorations on the Xmas tree this year :thinking-006:

Never tagged anything either, but I got the survey.

goldscud 01-19-2024 07:25 AM

Just a U of A student collecting info for a course. Funding probably through ACA. A way to collect information regarding what the public is thinking regarding reasons for hunting. Variety of questions trying to get to the root of your true thinking. The summary of data can be used to make government plans for the future.
The government is making use of students as a means to collect data for making biological plans for the future. Free labour

waldedw 01-19-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrat (Post 4694176)
Never tagged anything either, but I got the survey.

Your just lucky I guess :)

Smoky buck 01-19-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldscud (Post 4694180)
Just a U of A student collecting info for a course. Funding probably through ACA. A way to collect information regarding what the public is thinking regarding reasons for hunting. Variety of questions trying to get to the root of your true thinking. The summary of data can be used to make government plans for the future.
The government is making use of students as a means to collect data for making biological plans for the future. Free labour

So a waste of funds

KGB 01-19-2024 01:12 PM

I lost my patience after 10 minutes of stupid questions…

goldscud 01-19-2024 02:48 PM

I don't know the specific facts for this survey, but there are number of grad students who get funding from ACA/government that goes toward their research projects. There are probably some great projects that get done, and others that may not seem like the best ideas.
You can probably find out who the wildlife/resource manager type professors are at the U of A to learn more.
I imagine similar things happening in Calgary and Lethbridge

Vacation 01-19-2024 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGB (Post 4694277)
I lost my patience after 10 minutes of stupid questions…

Ditto, so repetitive nonsense. I aborted.

Albertajeff 01-20-2024 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 4694158)
I filled it out, it doesn’t sound sinister to me at all.

Same here, took a few mins. No big deal.

walking buffalo 01-25-2024 12:25 PM

Since we are all guessing where this survey came from....

This is my guess ( I don't know).

https://thewildharvestinitiative.com/

The WSFAb and APOS both support this organization.

At the website you can view previous survey result summaries from a few different States. https://thewildharvestinitiative.com/initiative/

In particular I like the APOS write up (surely self written).
https://thewildharvestinitiative.com...tters-society/

Do you see what I see? :rolleye2:

"Alberta’s professional outfitters were some of the earliest pioneers of the tourism industry in our province, with the first guided hunts taking clients into Alberta’s rugged backcountry in the late 1800s. The Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS) became the delegated administrative organization for the professional outfitting industry in Alberta in 1997, handling outfitter permitting, the management of wildlife allocations, and an outfitter Code of Ethics on behalf of the Government of Alberta. "

Limina 03-07-2024 05:41 PM

further information

So I contacted both the ACA and the University of Alberta looking for more information about this survey. After several emails only the ACA was willing to get back to me.

It seems hard to get a straight answer on the purpose of this research and I can't get a direct answer.

There was a real lack of hunter knowledge and the whole survery seemed in congruent.

I am still following up in several ways but needless to say the researcher Sandra Odame did not get back to me and neither did the head researcher I guess they dont want to answer any questions we have after all. I will say this lab is also involved in lab grown meat.

I'm surprised (not really) with the quality of this survey coming of of a university
This is actually the head researcher her specialty is acceptance of 3D printed meats.
https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wwismer

Did anyone else try to make contact with the ACA, U of A?

Does anyone here know who has access of the Alberta government or their affiliated has the access to send out emails to the albertaRELM email list?

BTW I'm new here....
nice to meet you all, thanks for letting me join in

New2Elk 03-07-2024 06:39 PM

The researcher’s bio also states they are trying “to understand food-related motivation of hunters of wild game.”

It’s tasty and healthy. - research completed.

walking buffalo 03-07-2024 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limina (Post 4707491)
So I contacted both the ACA and the University of Alberta looking for more information about this survey. After several emails only the ACA was willing to get back to me.

It seems hard to get a straight answer on the purpose of this research and I can't get a direct answer.

There was a real lack of hunter knowledge and the whole survery seemed in congruent.

I am still following up in several ways but needless to say the researcher Sandra Odame did not get back to me and neither did the head researcher I guess they dont want to answer any questions we have after all. I will say this lab is also involved in lab grown meat.

I'm surprised (not really) with the quality of this survey coming of of a university
This is actually the head researcher her specialty is acceptance of 3D printed meats.
https://apps.ualberta.ca/directory/person/wwismer

Did anyone else try to make contact with the ACA, U of A?

Does anyone here know who has access of the Alberta government or their affiliated has the access to send out emails to the albertaRELM email list?

BTW I'm new here....
nice to meet you all, thanks for letting me join in

It is great to see someone who has the interest and care to do some digging, and sharing. Thank you.

Interesting leads, which can be followed.

Leaves me wondering if Alberta RELM is getting paid to allow private access to data that Alberta Outdoorspeople pay to manage for Us....