Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Slave Lake Ice (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=1933)

huntercam 02-25-2007 01:05 PM

Slave Lake Ice

Don't go without an extension my jiffy 9" won't make it through the ice had to use my buddys extension to get a hole through the ice Fishing was veeeeeeeeeeeery slow 2 small sharks 2 wallys very little action on the camara

Cam

Red Sky Shane 02-27-2007 10:55 PM

Where'd you go huntercam?

We caught our limit on Saturday afternoon on the lake. Lots of fat walley action.

There also was some Ford truck action with some fools that had their 'pooper-duty' chained up and stuck on an ice heave in the middle of the lake.

It's too bad you couldn't find some action. Better luck next time, I guess.

huntercam 03-01-2007 09:16 PM

We were out from joussard was slow

Red Sky Shane 03-03-2007 09:07 PM

That's too bad.

We were out in Joussard today for a couple hours and did pretty good. The wind was brutal though...the weather knobs forecast +5 and it was barely over -10. Is there any other job in the world where you can get away with being wrong so much of the time and still keep working? 40% of the time they're right every time...:D

There must be almost 100 shacks in Joussard, and a road plowed out to the mini town. We got stuck trying to meet another truck in the road, thank god for the patience of strangers with tow ropes.

I noticed some of your other posts on this site from around Slave Lake Huntercam (Utikama, etc.) Where's your favorite place so far? Or is that one of those trade secrets that aren't worth sharing?

Hopefully Joussard works better for you next time. Ever been in the summer? We're doing some real estate in Joussard, and I'm hoping people like yourself have as good of luck in the summer as the winter. Any thoughts?

tuffyy 03-04-2007 12:25 AM

We have owned a Cabin at Shaws point since I was knee high.Fishing is super in the lake from the opener till about August,its still good after that but the need to move to deeper water to follow the eye's is required.I still love heading out to the Channel in the months of June and July and thankfully the water has been high enough to allow this in the last couple of years,we often find a deep hole in the channel and hook up with some of the large post spawn fish that have not moved out of the channel yet,we also seem to find alot of large perch in the channel aswell.Its nice to be able to park your boat in 5-6ft of water off the point or out in about 10-15ft towards little grassy and hook up.I still love those calm June evenings were you have a nice sunset and can count to 10 and have a fish on.Just be careful,I have seen far to many people who dont know the area wreck their boats over the years hitting some of the hidden dangers around the point.I know as a local I am always willing to help.

huntercam 03-04-2007 01:26 AM

Don't get me wrong Slave is a fantastic fishery and i love going there i am looking at maybe getting a lot at Shaw's this year so tuffy i may take you up on that.

We went to Utikima today had a blast lots of Northerns and very aggresive not much for perch but kept very busy all day with med size Gators:D

Red Sky Shane 03-05-2007 03:14 PM

It's good to hear happy fishin' stories Tuffyy.
This lake can be a cruel bee-yotch sometimes, as the smallest winds can make big storms, and the bottom is unpredictable. We sat on the shore in Canyon Creek one summer and watched boat after boat run aground. Time after time the people would always stick an oar in the water and look puzzled as they were a mile off shore. It's the same song at Shaw's isn't it?

What do you guys pay for yearly lots at Shaws point?
We're doing some work at Big Fish Bay Resort in Slave Lake this summer, and adding some more seasonal lots. I was curious about Shaw's, as I'd heard it got really insanely busy there last summer, especially on the long weekends. We were thinking of ways to lure some of you guys away from there, but you said you've been there since you were three apples tall and it seems most people that go there are also long timers.

The nice thing about this lake is that it is so big there's always room for more..
:D

tuffyy 03-05-2007 11:48 PM

We actually own our property at shaws,its one of the bigger cabins near the end of the point.The campground does get crazy during the summer as mentioned during long weekends.When the wind is up,we dont fish,its too risky and the fishing is kind of slow at that time anyhow.I find that most area's in the lake are pretty shallow,in shaws you can be in3-5ft of water for awhile.But the area does have some major depth changes out from pats point and out from shaws toward little grassy.The 5-10ft depths are your best bet in June and July anyway.If you want big eye's than a nice calm night in 3-6ft of water in the dark is ideal for the large fish.My record for this lake still sits at 12.6LB's taken in 2004 at 100am in 5 ft of water on a early July night.I still say I outfish the guys with mondo setups using my simple Jig and a minnow or leech.20yrs at this lake and I still love it,looking forward to introducing my unborn child to the lake!

huntercam 03-05-2007 11:58 PM

Red Sky what are the sesonal lots worth where you are at? good boat launch power water and sewer? Where on the lake are you located

cam

Red Sky Shane 03-08-2007 12:47 AM

Which lots?

We've got some 1/4 acre lots for sale in Joussard 1/4 mile west of the marina with underground power and municipal water and sewer. It's called Red Sky Grove - redskyalbertalimited.ca

We're also running Big Fish Bay RV park at the Slave Lake town limits -bigfishbay.com- with seasonal lots for rent.

I'm trying not to 'advertise' on here, so PM me with questions... ;)

Like tuffyy said, this lake is unpredictable with weather, depths, and traffic. But on the flip side, it's clean, full of fish, accessable, and generally not full of people like some other sport lakes in this province.

I hope to see you this summer at the lake, Shane.