Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   White Fish NSR (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=12886)

Sage 03-15-2008 11:31 AM

White Fish NSR

Does anyone know when the whitefish are swimming in large schools and biting well? I would like to try it this year.:wave:

Alberta Bigbore 03-15-2008 01:30 PM

Fall

gonefishin 03-16-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 123923)
Fall

That was somewhat rude.... Sage, keep your balance, and try in the autumn.

Alberta Bigbore 03-16-2008 06:26 PM

i dont see how it was rude? he asked when, i said fall. short answers when pressed for time

sirmike68 03-16-2008 07:57 PM

I never caught whitefish in the NSR but loads of Goldeye is that what you meant? August is good for goldeye.

buckmaster 03-16-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore (Post 124348)
i dont see how it was rude? he asked when, i said fall. short answers when pressed for time

your a bad bad boy:evilgrin: :evilgrin: :D

Alberta Bigbore 03-16-2008 09:20 PM

just dont spank me:evilgrin:

Brian 03-16-2008 09:27 PM

I suspect Sage is refering to Rocky Mountain Whitefish. If so (and perhaps regardless), the fellows are all correct. Normally they start to fish better in late August & really start to collect in schools in deep runs in September. Usually by late September or early/mid October, fishing for them starts to taper off. Of course there are always exceptions & variations that make a fibber out of a fellow, but that time frame has been my experience. They are usually quite easy to catch, and can be a lot of fun. They are a fairly oily/fatty fish, but smoke up quite nicely. Catch & release is a lot of fun!

Sage 03-16-2008 09:41 PM

Thanks Everyone you have all been helpful, yes even you BigBore little sarcastic but I don't mind that I'll giver a try this Septemberish. Yes Brian Rocky Mountain Whitefish. I like the oily taste of the fish any kind of fish is good for you, well maybe not everyone but I sure like them.

Sage:wave:

Alberta Bigbore 03-16-2008 10:31 PM

you lokking at trying the NSR in the edmonton area? Friend of mine nailed a rocky in the fort sask are believe it or not. some holes on the SW end of edmonton are worth a try. if im after rockies, i go to RDR, or Mcleod. they are a good eating fish arent they. still, wasnt meaning to be sarcastic

bbell 03-18-2008 12:43 PM

Nsr Rmw

Your best bet for whitefish on the North Sask is upstream of Rocky Mountain House. I have done quite well in late August/September below the Bighorn Dam.

Pioneer2 03-18-2008 02:49 PM

North end of Sylvan Lake in early to mid Nov. They are so thick around the shoreline spawning you can hardly see bottom.Small bobber with tiny perch jig /or fly tipped with corn,mealworm or maggots.Neat to see.........Harold