Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Winter hunting boot recommendations (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=337335)

Prairie.girl 01-15-2018 02:39 PM

Winter hunting boot recommendations

I am looking for a new pair of winter hunting boots and any recommendations would be helpful. I want something very warm for non-active activities like ice fishing or calling coyotes.

260 Rem 01-15-2018 02:49 PM

Google “muck boots”

MK2750 01-15-2018 02:55 PM

I use the Cabela's Trans Alaskan 11 and have never been cold. They aren't horrible for walking but take some getting use to. They have a very thick sole which I believe is the key for warm feet. I see they have a new model out (Trans Alaskan 111) but I don't know if better or worse. The Sask Pack Boots are similar in camo.

philintheblank 01-15-2018 03:22 PM

i wear Sorels. not meant for hiking, but grest for ice fishing ot stand hunting

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/67759...acier-xt-boots

Big Lou 01-15-2018 03:25 PM

Sorel Glaciers if you can find them. Wear a Bama sock with them and it’s a tough combo to beat. I also have a Cabela’s PAC Boot that are pretty solid but I’d suggest buying them based on a size with a liner and heavy sock on so you can play with sock combos as I’ve found it really dictates foot temp based on activity performed.

Lefty 01-15-2018 07:38 PM

Pac boots are the way to go. Baffin and Kamik make some rated for minus 100 and I recently bought the Cabelas Trans Alaska 111 boot and so far it has been good but haven't tested it in really cold yet. When picking a pac boot take the pac out of the boot and try it on. That way you can tell if it encompasses your foot properly. I bought a pair that felt like a perfect fit but toes got cold on cold days. I was wearing two pair of socks and sometimes when 30 below I'd put a foot warmer in between the two socks ( as they are not supposed to go directly on skin). Then one day out I got cold toes just wearing a big heavy wool sock and put the warmer in the boot and put my foot in. Couldn't feel it in the boot and thought I must of missed but couldn't find it in the snow. Turns out it was in the boot and there was a space in front of my toes where it was sitting. The space of air was why my toes were getting cold as it was too much area for it to keep warm.

amosfella 01-15-2018 07:45 PM

Muck Arctic Pro. Worn them while skinning a bull in -37 with a wind. Wasn't dressed heavily either. 2 medium weight base layers, jeans, tshirt and a couple of hoodies. Sleeves rolled up to my elbows. Was plenty warm.

roper1 01-15-2018 08:29 PM

Baffin or Sorel for non-active like you describe.

HighlandHeart 01-15-2018 08:34 PM

Acton Mukluk -30 and colder

Any decent Pac boot -10 to -30

YMMV

gordfishing 01-15-2018 08:39 PM

I am very active outside during the winter - snow removal
I wear adult Bog's there $99.00 at UFA, I find the
awesome

Fwee6 01-15-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Lou (Post 3709811)
Sorel Glaciers if you can find them. Wear a Bama sock with them and it’s a tough combo to beat. I also have a Cabela’s PAC Boot that are pretty solid but I’d suggest buying them based on a size with a liner and heavy sock on so you can play with sock combos as I’ve found it really dictates foot temp based on activity performed.

x2

I've had Sorel Glaciers my whole life.
Current pair I've had 14 years now. These were made in Canada -- China has since taken over manufacturing. I've worn them a ton, and still on the original set of liners. Never once had cold feet -- hunting, ice fishing, snowmobiling. Good socks are key, as is ensuring the liners are always removed to dry out properly. They suck for walking long distances, but otherwise amazing.

fordtruckin 01-15-2018 10:12 PM

Another Vote for Sorel Glaciers, My dad has a pair that are over 22 years old. He generally finds them too warm to wear so they've seen limited use.

benamen 01-16-2018 06:34 AM

I have worn Sorel glaciers for years now.. Original liners still. The uppers are not water resistant like they used to be and are saggy now. Still warm but time to retire them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

10aciousB 01-16-2018 09:40 AM

Solomon Tundra Pro. Best winter boots I have ever owned. Comfortable, light weight, waterproof and have built in attachment points for snowshoes if needed. Wore them on a 3 day winter camp/hunting trip with average daytime temperatures around -20 to -25. They have a comfort rating of -40 I believe, and are great for hiking. Pricey, about $280, but worth every dime. They aren't camo, but who cares.

Drake slayer 01-16-2018 09:44 AM

Stay away from muck boots if your not moving around.

Red Bullets 01-16-2018 12:23 PM

I don't have them anymore but when I was trapping and ice fishing lots I wore good fleece lined moose hide mukluks. I never had the qiviut socks, only wool socks. Never got cold feet.

Get a pair of *qiviut socks and good fleece lined moose hide mukluks. Get a pair of low rubber boots for over the mukluks. You'll never get cold feet. (Even buffalo wool socks are warmer than sheep wool.)

*Qiviut is the soft under wool from muskox. 8 times warmer than wool. Not cheap. About 250 to 300 a pair.

Jeron Kahyar 01-16-2018 12:28 PM

I have been using Irish Setter Elk Trackers for a few years now and am happy with them. Warm and comfortable enough to put miles under foot day in and day out. They are full leather so some extra care sealing them is required. I am partial to a full leather upper myself, so I don't mind the extra care to seal them.

Lefty 01-16-2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake slayer (Post 3710326)
Stay away from muck boots if your not moving around.

I agree with this also with my feet. I have Grubs too and find them a bit warmer than the Arctic Mucks, but no matter what socks, insoles, or bama sock combo they are nowhere near as warm as my pacs when one sits. Wear them lots though if I am moving around, and for sitting if it doesn't get down to minus double digits.

Unregistered user 01-16-2018 08:51 PM

Crocs and wool socks.

57charlie 01-17-2018 01:54 AM

winter boots

Pretty tough to beat a pair of Cabela's Trans Alaska III boots for warmth. The sole is about 3" thick, so they'll take a bit to get used to but when you're standing out on the ice fishing for 8-12 hours in -20 to -30 weather I don't think you're gonna find anything warmer. Best winter boot out there IMO.

Athabasca1 01-17-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlandHeart (Post 3710056)
Acton Mukluk -30 and colder

Any decent Pac boot -10 to -30

YMMV

If your looking for boots for non-active activities like ice fishing or coyote calling consider the Acton Chimo winter boot.

HighlandHeart 01-17-2018 05:55 PM

The chimo is what I called a mukluk. Two sets of duffel socks, two sets.or French drains and some Watson -40 socks and you are good to go into the 40's. I never found a warmer boot for standing around.