Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Elk calls recommendations (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=409968)

Sitting Bull 03-27-2022 12:44 PM

Elk calls recommendations

Hey guys, I have never used an elk call. I have harvested a few cow elk over the years, but now I would like to try my hand at calling in bull elk. I have no clue where to start so I am asking for advice. My goal is to practice all summer long to be ready for sept hunts.
What are the best calls to get ? There are so many out there how do I choose.
Do I get diaphragm calls or tubes with the mouth piece in it?
Thanks for the help.

obsessed1 03-27-2022 01:03 PM

Pick a bunch of different brands of diaphragm reed calls and stick with the one/ brand you like best. Add a bat style tube to give you the best most realistic sounding call.

35 whelen 03-27-2022 01:24 PM

Try watching some videos on elk calling Elk101 is good ,buy 1 of each and practice Nothing better than calling in your first bull, good luck .

Sitting Bull 03-27-2022 04:46 PM

I picked up a 3 pack of Rocky mountain hunting calls "Elk 101" . Gave it a try and so far so good. I am just starting out with practicing where it goes in my mouth and blowing techniques. I made a few cow calls:) but need a lot more practice for sure.
Thanks guys.

270hunter 03-27-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitting Bull (Post 4504691)
I picked up a 3 pack of Rocky mountain hunting calls "Elk 101" . Gave it a try and so far so good. I am just starting out with practicing where it goes in my mouth and blowing techniques. I made a few cow calls:) but need a lot more practice for sure.
Thanks guys.

I bought the same pack this September and after a lot of practice I am confident in using the calls when I’m out hunting. I like the sound of them. Corey Jacobsons elk 101 is definitely a great way to learn online! Good choice in your calls

pikeslayer22 03-27-2022 05:54 PM

Phelps game calls

fordtruckin 03-27-2022 08:06 PM

primos hoochi mama… bahahaha

270person 03-27-2022 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordtruckin (Post 4504736)
primos hoochi mama… bahahaha

Hey, sometimes they work. Buddy uses the Berry Sleazy Cow exclusively and takes a huge bull every fall bowhunting. Best elk hunter I've ever met.

bezzola 03-27-2022 11:02 PM

Don’t laugh we called in a 300 class bull with just a hoochie momma

Lefty Bryan 03-28-2022 04:53 AM

Talk to Travis at Wapiti River. Local AB company making good elk reed calls. He typically does a tour of calling seminars in the summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moniaw24 03-28-2022 06:32 AM

I second the Hoochie Mama... I've had great success with it

buckman 03-28-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 (Post 4504703)
Phelps game calls

I have tried most of them.These are the best I found.

Big Grey Wolf 03-28-2022 10:20 AM

elk call

I do not recommend you practice your elk calling technique all summer as you suggested, or your wife will be calling her lawyer.

Stinky Buffalo 03-28-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckman (Post 4504847)
I have tried most of them.These are the best I found.

These are very good. Jim Bows carries them.

I have heard great things about the Wapiti calls as well. My son picked up a diaphragm call at their booth at the Sportsmens' Show - We'll see how he likes it.

Another nod for Corey Jacobsen's and the Elk 101 YouTube video series. I haven't subscribed to the course material, but the hunt videos are neat to watch. You can see how they work the wind and change up their calls. This season's "Destination Elk" series also features Randy Newberg (who calls it "Destination Grouse"... But I digress...)

Sitting Bull 03-28-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4504878)
I do not recommend you practice your elk calling technique all summer as you suggested, or your wife will be calling her lawyer.

So far she is tolerating it . I am only working on the cow calls so far. Wait t'ill I start learning the bugle and chuckle part of my performance. I'm sure I will be posting for a place to live.

As of now I find that I sometimes choke up a bit and create a lot of saliva when using it. I am sure this will disappear in time as I get used to having this in my mouth. Exciting ,can't wait to actually try it out in the field this fall.

antler hunter 03-28-2022 01:34 PM

My go to is Rocky mountain game calls but it's more of a personal preference than anything.

MountainTi 03-28-2022 01:53 PM

Diaphragm calls for sure. Practice and get good with it. Can do cow or bull calls with one, hands free as well. Carry a tube if you want it heard at a further distance. Even call turkeys with them if you get lucky and draw a tag

obsessed1 03-28-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 4504952)
Diaphragm calls for sure. Practice and get good with it. Can do cow or bull calls with one, hands free as well. Carry a tube if you want it heard at a further distance. Even call turkeys with them if you get lucky and draw a tag

Or coyote howls and critter distress...

Shortie 03-28-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty Bryan (Post 4504809)
Talk to Travis at Wapiti River. Local AB company making good elk reed calls. He typically does a tour of calling seminars in the summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at the Edmonton Boat and sportsmen show and he was there his products are great and he was really helpful in picking a call and explaining how to use them properly.

kingrat 03-28-2022 04:42 PM

First step if you are serious about calling elk successfully and repeatedly is pay for the roe hunting resources elk calling videos. Very good stuff. It's the price of a good elk call but you'll finish the series with years of knowledge that is invaluable. Than we can talk about calls and why.

EagleEyes 06-08-2022 08:35 PM

I usually carry a couple different calls. Watch lots of videos and practice lots. Also last two bulls I had come came to a Hoochie Mama. Sooo either they work or all my other calling sucks.