Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cold Lake report (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=2108)

Barbwire 01-21-2007 12:08 PM

Cold Lake report

I have been fishing cold lake quite frequenly this last month and have finally figured those pesky lakers out!!!! A couple days ago I got a 10 pounder and had a couple bigger ones get off on me.... Its wierd fishing in 100+ feet of water... Great fight these fish put up.... Heading out tommorow and tuesday to see if I can catch one bigger!!!

Heres a pic of my 10 pounder, he may not look 10 pounds but he was and over 30 inches long.... These lakers are deep and fat!!!
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../camers108.jpg

Heres the big one the guy beside me caught within 5 minutes of getting his holes drilled...lucky bugger!! The fish wieghed in around 25 pounds on the digital scale...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../camers105.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1.../camers106.jpg

Ill report back how I do these next couple of days

Barbwire

nube 01-21-2007 01:57 PM

Would you mind giving us some tips on what to do and where on the lake to catch them. I always wanted to try but wouldn't know where to start.

Ayr Miller 01-21-2007 02:01 PM

Oh yeah!! Good for you Barbwire!! Nice fish for "the other guy", too!!

Cheers,

Ayr.

mikeo2 01-21-2007 02:06 PM

Nube, go into the town of Cold lake and keep driving towards Cold Lake North, so just stay on the same road. THen when you see the sign for Highway 55, which goes west, there is the fish hatchery sign there to. Take a right there and follow the road all the way into the Provincial park and onto the ice, when on the ice just follow the road out about 3 km, you'll see other vbehicles out there to. As for lures and such, white bucktail jigs in 1 oz or 2 oz seemed to be the trick for everyone out there saturday, and tip it with an anchovie or some other bait fish the similar size. Lots of people were catching them right off the bottom. We may be heading back up there on Feb 3 for tyhe day again.

The Chief 01-21-2007 02:33 PM

Hi Barbwire:

Nice fish...Are you sure it weighed 10 lbs?? Your Grandma caught a 9 lb'r last year and it looked wwwaayyy bigger.

Home Wreaker 01-21-2007 02:56 PM

ice

can you drive a 2 wheel truck on the ice ,or is swow deep

Barbwire 01-21-2007 03:16 PM

Re: ice

nube- I didnt know where to start either. I went out a few times and didnt catch anything. I was using a large jig bouncing it off the bottom in 100+ feet of water out from the provincial park. follow mikeo2's directions

The Chief- Grandma always catches bigger fish then me...That is except for whitefish:lol Her 9 pounder was alot skinnier:lol

Homewreaker- I would say currently a 2 wheel drive could get on if you stay on the main track.

Good luck!!! Thanks for the replys

Barbwire

walleyes 01-21-2007 04:40 PM

Awsome job and fish barb. I hope to make it out there next week. Thanks for the info.. ( nice pics )

mikeo2 01-21-2007 05:28 PM

I still have no clue how to catch them, hopefully persistance pays off. You can get a 2 wheel drive on the ice if you stay on the main trail, there was even a car out there saturday, but they didn't get off the trail and didn't stay very long.

bigbore 01-22-2007 12:43 AM

great looking fish, has me thinking i need to make a trip out there. is it a lost cause going with out a Flasher? manage to see any other fish caught??????

mikeo2 01-22-2007 12:49 AM

I don't think many people were using flashers, it would definetly be a big asset, but not neccessary. Lakers were the only fish being caught in the area we were fishing.

> Re: ice 01-22-2007 12:54 AM

> Re: ice

How about ice thickness, does a person have to worry about ice heaves, thin pockets or even open water??? Thanks.

mikeo2 01-22-2007 01:04 AM

Re: > Re: ice

You don't have to worry about the ice, well out to where everyone is fishign anyway. There is a solid 18 inches, we drove a duramax diesel on with no problems, there are other vehicles driving all over the lake as well.

Sniperwolf 01-22-2007 11:42 AM

Re: > Re: ice

Great fish Barbwire, that other guy caught a beauty too. It'd be a great fight pulling one of those things up in 25 feet of water, let alone a hundred!

Keep it up and good luck with nessie!

ice heaves.. 01-22-2007 12:50 PM

ice heaves..

The only bad heave we found is out on the way to
Garnet Beach...BTW, went out this am to check out
the ice off the Provincial Park..a popular spot..forty pickups there this weekend, so didn't go there.
Unfortunately, some of the owners of those pickups
out to be whupped for the mess they left on the ice,
This is a poor advertisment for both the Lake, and
for ice fisherman...a few rotten apples can really
spoil it for the rest.

mikeo2 01-22-2007 01:34 PM

I hear yah about all teh vehicles and bad apples. How do you get to Garnet beach and is the ice good enough to take a duramax diesel over there? Next time we go we want to stay away from the big crowd.

Shedcrazy 01-28-2007 07:52 PM

So any more cold lake reports??? Thinking about going for the day this weekend....

444MarlinXLR 01-28-2007 09:33 PM

It has really turned off at the very popular bay, been out a couple of times catching only one and talked to a few guys with the same results...need to find a new spot.

fishin 01-29-2007 09:29 PM

fishin

best time to catch these fish are clear days with a cold front approaching, sometimes bait with your jig others not, also try a blue jig every now and again

Turney 01-30-2007 12:57 AM

Re: fishin

It was a slow day out there today a few bites and that was it, only went out for an hour. 4X4 country only

Home Wreaker 01-31-2007 08:05 PM

Any one going to cold lake this week end ?

Shedcrazy 01-31-2007 09:14 PM

I was thinking about it....not sure how the lake will be for drifts...crappy weather.

Anyone been fishing anything else besides Lakers?? Walleye or ling?