Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wild Pig Hunting In Alberta (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164662)

Mikezilk 10-01-2014 09:01 AM

I have shot 5 "wild" pigs... In Alberta they are not truly wild pigs as most of them have escaped from a farmers fence when it became damaged or cut by someone wanting a free pig.

All the ones I shot were up north and we knew exactly where they originally came from.. That being said, the year after his fence was cut and 40 pigs got loose, we saw sows with a litter of piglets in the one field. They were breeding and surviving very well in Alberta about 2 hours south of the territories border.

They like to hang around in stands of bush along or in the farmland. They make a mess of the grain fields and when you hit a hole dug by one of them with a swather, you sure feel it.

As for a gun.. my .22mag and .17hmr worked amazing.. but be alert as they are not scared of people and will put the run on you.. Even had one try to take on the tractor I was driving while baling hay.

edmhunter 10-01-2014 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here you go, on trail cam Pictures.

edmhunter 10-01-2014 09:05 AM

Trail Cam Pictures thread that is, not mine!!!

RatFink 10-01-2014 09:08 AM

Alberta is now encouraging it!
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ed...783/story.html

crazyfish 10-01-2014 09:12 AM

I used to live around sangudo , we had the odd one run thru the back yard , and field ! Not very often! One of the guys I played hockey with there also had a few more around his place and had shot a few , but wouldn't let anyone else go after them ! He hasn't had any for the last year or so !!! Good luck with your search

Big Grey Wolf 10-01-2014 09:13 AM

pigs

Guys, Alberta Agriculture has listed them as a problem rodent, kill all on site,so farmers shoot them. The keg River bunch mentioned earlier were all cleaned out, Alberta Ag just does not want to have them establish a foothold in Alberta. The origionals escaped from a few hog set ups which started about 20 years ago.

shellpelt03 10-01-2014 12:00 PM

Wild Boar Alberta

Small world, this was in todays Calgary Herald:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...ml?id=10251783

kayaker 10-01-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfish (Post 2565725)
I used to live around sangudo , we had the odd one run thru the back yard , and field ! Not very often! One of the guys I played hockey with there also had a few more around his place and had shot a few , but wouldn't let anyone else go after them ! He hasn't had any for the last year or so !!! Good luck with your search

My in-law family have lived in Magnolia for long time and they have heard of them in that area but never seen one, nor any sign (They haven't really made a point of looking either though).

I need to up the ante a bit a do a better job of snooping around there for pig sign.

pgavey 10-01-2014 06:12 PM

hogs

Just received a email from Bruce Downey from Castor AB after i inquired about a hog hunt. Yes I still offer hog hunts either with dogs or you can stalk them.$600. per hog including dogs, and we will also skin it for you, was his reply. He left a cell# as 587 282 0952

Grizzly Adams 10-01-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpelt03 (Post 2565879)
Small world, this was in todays Calgary Herald:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...ml?id=10251783

Story tells a tale.

Estimated population 1000. Is that before the bounty was declared or after ?
40,000. divided by 50. equals 800 hogs eliminated plus probably a few no bounty was paid on. Hate to tell you guys, but I think they are on the way out. As I previously posted, Red Deer County hasn't paid a bounty since 2008, much the same for Mountainview.

Grizz

greylynx 10-01-2014 06:44 PM

My neighbor raised some wild boar thinking they would be like regular hogs.

Well guess what happened. One sow and young ones ended up in a piece of bush behind the house. The remainder ended up all over the neighborhood.

.338 WM 225gr. Hornandys. No foolin around.

Great Hunt. All the other free roaming wild hogs were disposed of by the other neighbors.

One problem:

All of the neighbors are from central European backgrounds but after a few generations no one knew how to prepare wild boar. Farm Hogs..no problem.

Solution:

Our AO resident chef Omega should get his hands on some free wild boar and we should see the piece of culinary art that this master could create.

Jimboy 10-01-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banker (Post 1810244)
where can a person hunt wild pigs in alberta? Do you need a licence to hunt them? I am having a problem getting any true fact information on this topic. Can anyone gave me some info on the wild pigs?

t&c hotel forest lawn

1ceman 10-02-2014 07:01 AM

I saw one a few weeks ago. Couldn't believe my eyes

edmhunter 10-02-2014 07:06 AM

Are you goinh to hunt it? I used to feed pigs on a farm, they love leftovers like potato peels, eggs shells, old bread etc. Are you allow to bait them?

Grizzly Adams 10-02-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmhunter (Post 2566660)
Are you goinh to hunt it? I used to feed pigs on a farm, they love leftovers like potato peels, eggs shells, old bread etc. Are you allow to bait them?

I used to feed pigs on a farm at one time myself. Still remember the old sow that would try to come over the partition, every time, and try to eat me. :free-scared-smileys

Grizz

edmhunter 10-02-2014 07:35 AM

lol, used to belong to a shooting club that raised Russian Boars for the members to shoot.

Had a Germain Shorthaired Pointer that I used to go into the large penned area with where they lived. One time my dog snuck up on one and pit it in the ass then ran straight back to me with the offended and irrate boar that wanted to kill him in tow.

Had to run for my life and just made it over the fence in time, with my dog right behind me. Stupid dog! :scared0018: lol

ddars32 10-04-2014 04:19 PM

hogs

Good luck finding them, there aren't that many left out there!!!

Denadii Cho 11-19-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 1810321)
i wish you luck in your research banker. i've been looking into wild boar hunting for 2 years and it is very difficult to get info. the best info came to from talking to fish and game officialls in different areas and also from county officials. once in awhile someone will post some pics. on this forum of a succesfull pig hunt but most of those happen when out coyote hunting. also locals that know where there might be some mostly keep the info. to themselves.
if you really want to get one try "hog wild" in mayerthorpe. not my cup of tea but people who have gone say they really enjoyed the experiance.

p.s. my brother is in hawaii right now and sent me a video of a wild boar. he's thinking of hunting for one there.

Found this online so I guess it's legal...http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...gram-1.2784402

In Short: Currently only legal for landowners to dispatch animals on their land. Possibility for a $50 bounty per pair of ears depending on location.

Email from Dave Kay

Feral wild boar are not classified as wildlife in Alberta, and thus receive no protection under the Wildlife Act. Additionally, feral wild boars have been declared a pest species by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development (AARD) and are covered in their Pest and Nuisance Control Regulation under the Agricultural Pests Act. This legislation does not provide for anyone except owners or occupants of land to control or destroy pest species. Given that there is no authority provided to private persons to destroy feral wild boar, except landowners and occupants of land, inquiries should be referred to AARD for advice. From http://wildboarcanada.ca/legal.php

Denadii Cho 11-19-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikezilk (Post 2565712)
I have shot 5 "wild" pigs... In Alberta they are not truly wild pigs as most of them have escaped from a farmers fence when it became damaged or cut by someone wanting a free pig.

All the ones I shot were up north and we knew exactly where they originally came from.. That being said, the year after his fence was cut and 40 pigs got loose, we saw sows with a litter of piglets in the one field. They were breeding and surviving very well in Alberta about 2 hours south of the territories border.

They like to hang around in stands of bush along or in the farmland. They make a mess of the grain fields and when you hit a hole dug by one of them with a swather, you sure feel it.

As for a gun.. my .22mag and .17hmr worked amazing.. but be alert as they are not scared of people and will put the run on you.. Even had one try to take on the tractor I was driving while baling hay.

LOL It was not in Alberta but I had on try to put the run on my semi when I was just north of El Paso a year ago.

slingshot 11-19-2015 08:12 PM

Pigs

The ones around wabamum are real wormy yuk

driller212 07-04-2016 08:01 PM

Just saw a dead one south of Turner Valley that is a first for me.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

srs123 07-04-2016 08:28 PM

Let's go shoot some

Grizzly Adams 07-07-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driller212 (Post 3269907)
Just saw a dead one south of Turner Valley that is a first for me.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Not a pot bellied one ? :lol: City folks like to dump those on occasion. Lot of acreages around there as well.

Grizz