Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   pickeral VS walleye the difference between (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=14644)

TyreeUM 10-11-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota369 (Post 1112426)
Cause really in my mind it is the most important one!! What does a pickeral taste like? I love eating walleye, but cannot stand pike.......... so which one does it taste like so I know if I want to catch it or not............

:thinking-006:

they are full of bones and hardly any meat. I have never caught one over about 24 inches though...

Jwood 456 10-12-2011 08:11 AM

When I was in south east Manitoba, walleye were locally named pickeral. They were also labelled in the local stores as pickeral.

Kwall 05-24-2014 03:46 PM

haha

that top picture is an american pickerel, its in the pike family. walleyes are also called walleyed pike, colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel, there are just 2 types of pickerel.

huntsfurfish 05-24-2014 04:11 PM

Wow this is an old thread.:)

Redfrog 05-24-2014 04:15 PM

"A walleye by any other name would taste as sweet.":thinking-006:

Sorry Will.:)

67Elmo 05-24-2014 07:23 PM

Nomenclature is dictated by usage. If enough folks called walleye "Blue Marlin" that would be the new name.

In Manitoba as a kid EVERYONE called them "pickerel". Nobody called them walleye. There are lots of names for the same animal, i.e. elk and wapiti .

It bugs me when guys try to preach to us acting "oh so smart" by insisting we call the fish "walleye" when "pickerel" is a fully acceptable "slang name". Call em "pickerel" all you want guys. I'd guess over a million Canadians call they pickerel, so whats so wrong with that? I like the name pickerel. To me they will ALWAYS be "pickerel". I don't care that there is a "misnamed" pike relative in the east that has also stolen the name...

fish gunner 05-24-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Elmo (Post 2443537)
Nomenclature is dictated by usage. If enough folks called walleye "Blue Marlin" that would be the new name.

In Manitoba as a kid EVERYONE called them "pickerel". Nobody called them walleye. There are lots of names for the same animal, i.e. elk and wapiti .

It bugs me when guys try to preach to us acting "oh so smart" by insisting we call the fish "walleye" when "pickerel" is a fully acceptable "slang name". Call em "pickerel" all you want guys. I'd guess over a million Canadians call they pickerel, so whats so wrong with that? I like the name pickerel. To me they will ALWAYS be "pickerel". I don't care that there is a "misnamed" pike relative in the east that has also stolen the name...

The little pike is in books as pickeral... so when the regs say walleye retention 0 telling the CO you've only caught pickeral your wrong and ... thats the reason common names have no bearing or meaning and the regs call species by a correct name however the latin ie esox lusox is the only correct name .:)

bubba 96 05-24-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Elmo (Post 2443537)

Ok Jill....