Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Air Canada Handles Your Baggage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=216367)

Weedy1 04-19-2014 12:15 PM

How Air Canada Handles Your Baggage

Bunch of twits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZYPjRPUb0

leeaspell 04-19-2014 12:32 PM

pretty much how I always figured it was done.

nick0danger 04-19-2014 12:37 PM

If you check your oversized baggage they would not have to drop it, seen it on other airlines.

DiabeticKripple 04-19-2014 12:41 PM

im pretty sure its not air canada employees handling the baggage, but the actual airport staff.

Weedy1 04-19-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 2409692)
im pretty sure its not air canada employees handling the baggage, but the actual airport staff.

See here:

http://home.mytelus.com/p/news/sourc...ticle/28057570

rugatika 04-19-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedy1 (Post 2409767)

OK, that was hilarious...thanks. AC trying to make it sound like it's a rare occurrence and that they only have one disgruntled, lazy employee. :sHa_shakeshout:

"We're not happy, until you're not happy."

I quit flying AC a long time ago.

ÜberFly 04-19-2014 04:45 PM

No they are AC Rampy's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 2409692)

creeky 04-19-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedy1 (Post 2409667)

Sadly, it's what i expect-unbelievable these people have jobs-really scary part is we have no rights, and the airlines and airport authorities can't/won't fix it. Not at all what i sign up for when i fly contract with em.

Rant over…….

P.S. other airlines, buslines, couriers, it's all the same. Fire em all!

Now i'm done ;-(

kmacisaac 04-19-2014 06:03 PM

I was just excited to see two AC employees working at the same time, even if it was a half ***** attempt at it. I too have quit flying with them a number of years ago.

RavYak 04-19-2014 06:04 PM

Saw a comment by a guy that actually does that work. He blames the airports for not having lifts on those platforms. Also says those stairs are often icy and no way they are going to carry the bags up and down them.

It makes sense, I know if I was doing that job all day there is no way I would be walking up and down those stairs. Definitely need to add some sort of way to get the bags down.

The most sickening part about this is that it is people's carry on items. There could be some very valuable/fragile items in those bags.

leeaspell 04-19-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 2409922)
Saw a comment by a guy that actually does that work. He blames the airports for not having lifts on those platforms. Also says those stairs are often icy and no way they are going to carry the bags up and down them.

It makes sense, I know if I was doing that job all day there is no way I would be walking up and down those stairs. Definitely need to add some sort of way to get the bags down.

The most sickening part about this is that it is people's carry on items. There could be some very valuable/fragile items in those bags.

Someone should call the labour board. To think that people actually have to do repetitive tasks at work such as heavy lifting and going up and down stairs/ladders, in the winter to boot. I'm sure in the summer they are much more careful.

Big Daddy Badger 04-19-2014 07:52 PM

But at least they didn't lose it:)

ÜberFly 04-19-2014 08:24 PM

When I worked as an AC Rampy I walked up & down the bridge stairs with carry on bags, stroller, wheel chairs in all conditions. It was what was expected. These guys were dog******ers, plain & simple!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 2409922)

RavYak 04-19-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ÜberFly (Post 2410078)
When I worked as an AC Rampy I walked up & down the bridge stairs with carry on bags, stroller, wheel chairs in all conditions. It was what was expected. These guys were dog******ers, plain & simple!!

True but you would think they could figure out a more effective way. Like a slide that runs beside the stairs...

hal53 04-19-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 2410081)
True but you would think they could figure out a more effective way. Like a slide that runs beside the stairs...

or enforce the "if it fits carry on" policy, every time I fly I am amazed at what some people attempt to carry on instead of checking.....

Davey Boy 04-19-2014 08:40 PM

Hope they fire that guy, but yes there should be a slide to put the bags on down from the bridge.

ÜberFly 04-19-2014 08:58 PM

Yeah I heard that they fired both of them!! Not sure what the union will have to say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Boy (Post 2410099)
Hope they fire that guy, but yes there should be a slide to put the bags on down from the bridge.

Gorram 04-19-2014 09:21 PM

I've been at work since this came out, therefore have spoken to many AC rampies. They are, to a man ****ed at the stupidity of these morons.

It would be a lie to suggest I have always thought highly of rampies... but even if they tend to lean towards the motivationally chalenged side of the scale, the vast majority are smarter and more considerate than this.

A view from inside the hated AC realm. No, I don't work for AC, my Co. does work for them.

Davey Boy 04-19-2014 09:25 PM

I used to work for them and I can vouch that most of them are smarter than that. And if they weren't we would use peer pressure on them, that usually worked. And I doubt that the unions will protect them. They are in extreme violation of the rules set down by AC.

leeaspell 04-20-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorram (Post 2410146)
I've been at work since this came out, therefore have spoken to many AC rampies. They are, to a man ****ed at the stupidity of these morons.

It would be a lie to suggest I have always thought highly of rampies... but even if they tend to lean towards the motivationally chalenged side of the scale, the vast majority are smarter and more considerate than this.

A view from inside the hated AC realm. No, I don't work for AC, my Co. does work for them.

Probably ****ed because now everyone will be paying attention, so they'll all have to start going up and down the stairs instead if droping your bags 20 feet.

ÜberFly 04-20-2014 08:21 AM

I'm sure your right, but I have heard worse where their union got the idiots job back... These guys give "rampys" a bad name... It was one of the most fun jobs I have ever held with some of the best people (believe it or not)!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Boy (Post 2410152)
And I doubt that the unions will protect them. They are in extreme violation of the rules set down by AC.

Davey Boy 04-20-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeaspell (Post 2410414)
Probably ****ed because now everyone will be paying attention, so they'll all have to start going up and down the stairs instead if droping your bags 20 feet.

Believe me people have allways been able to pay attention. So I doubt that's the case. Any airport that I have ever been in has windows everywhere, and the windows have allways been in the aircraft.

Like Uberfly said it was a most enjoyable job, most of us had great pride in what we did. Was there some rotten apples in the bunch. You bet, but not many, management straightened out or fired them, but isn't there in most jobs or professions. Everywhere you go today you see or deal with people who just don't give a chit.

rwm1273 04-20-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal53 (Post 2410084)
or enforce the "if it fits carry on" policy, every time I fly I am amazed at what some people attempt to carry on instead of checking.....

You should see what some of the people bring on planes in third world countries. Chickens, goats, and the like. And then there are the ones who have one piece of checked baggage, one carry on, and then buy out the entire duty free and try to put it in the overhead bins because they are past the check in counter and therefore not being limited by counter staff.

As for baggage handlers, they are not nicknamed baggage smashers for nothing.

Davey Boy 04-20-2014 09:31 AM

As for baggage handlers, they are not nicknamed baggage smashers for nothing.[/QUOTE]

HMMM worked there for 28.5 years never once smashed a bag.

jackrabbit000 04-20-2014 11:52 AM

Seen the video on The National news last night. AC is going to investigate this one, the guys in the video are probably going to lose their jobs over this.

RBI 04-20-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger (Post 2410046)
But at least they didn't lose it:)

Don't say that to fast , this is a departing flight , it ain't there yet .

I spent a couple of years , 79 & 80 , working on the ramp for the " other guys " . Back then it was Tri-L Flight Services, ( later changed to Hudson General ) , we/they were subed out to service Cp air , Pacific Western , Repulbic , and British Airlines , and as such AC were the bad guys, as I'm sure ,we , were to them. Back then AC had a bad rep for miss handling and loosing bags ( good luck if you transferred airlines during your trip ).
And like others have said it was a good job , I have two nephews currently working for WestJet and find a lot of similar stories about life on the ramp.
:)

Trev 04-20-2014 12:50 PM

And we are subsidizing this mess of an airline

ÜberFly 04-20-2014 02:09 PM

Ditto!

Pulled many a handle off a suit case because people tend to put 60 - 70 lbs in a suit case with a 50 lb limit!! Never felt bad about that!! If only "John Q Passenger" could know what it was like to stack load a 319, Embraer or Stretch RJ with bags that were WAY too heavy!!

Ahhhh the good old days!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey Boy (Post 2410514)
As for baggage handlers, they are not nicknamed baggage smashers for nothing.

HMMM worked there for 28.5 years never once smashed a bag.[/QUOTE]

Davey Boy 04-20-2014 02:26 PM

Approximately 12 million people flew through Calgary last year. Times 2 bags apiece 24 million bags. I bet the number of claims in relation to that amount of bags is minimal.
Yes there are bad baggage handlers, but ever been to CT to get your car fixed by a mechanic, they seem not so honest either.
No pride in one's job is everywhere today, not just Air Canada, and I would have to check but they are a self sustained company, they became privatized in 1988.

lake side 04-20-2014 02:48 PM

Must have had their training from Canada Post.

LS