Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kayak Trailer Recommendations (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=428679)

Stella 01-22-2024 12:45 PM

Kayak Trailer Recommendations

So, I have been hauling my Old Town in the bed of my truck for a few years now. When u fish by yourself its an easy way for one person to get around. But now my wife is wanting to tag along and I am thinking of purchasing a trailer for the 2 kayaks. I have done some research and most of what I have found are all based in the USA. Does anyone have any recommendations on a trailer that can be bought in Canada, preferably in Alberta. Thx!

Smoky buck 01-22-2024 12:56 PM

Bought mine from Glenmore sailboats when the wife and I upgraded to our Outback’s. It’s a Malone trailer I believe not fancy but works well

I could snap a picture if you would like

Stella 01-22-2024 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoky buck (Post 4695097)
Bought mine from Glenmore sailboats when the wife and I upgraded to our Outback’s. It’s a Malone trailer I believe not fancy but works well

I could snap a picture if you would like

I will give them a call and see what they have. Thx!

58thecat 01-22-2024 01:09 PM

I got a 8' x 10' utility trailer that I can use for the yaks, quads, skidoo etc I got the trailer shop in Bonnyville to modify to my needs....maybe call around to a local trailer shop and see what they can come up for you.
I think if I was to only have a dedicated trailer it would set up like a PWC tandem trailer and you can find those pop up periodically for sale too.
Good luck!

Mumbles 01-22-2024 01:54 PM

Personally I would still continue to use the box of the truck and get a bed extender… Or a rack for the box…
Both are character and saves the hassle of the trailer.
It’s worked for 2 fishing kayaks for me many years in the past when I still had a truck.

Smoky buck 01-22-2024 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumbles (Post 4695114)
Personally I would still continue to use the box of the truck and get a bed extender… Or a rack for the box…
Both are character and saves the hassle of the trailer.
It’s worked for 2 fishing kayaks for me many years in the past when I still had a truck.

It is completely possible to do as you say. I would stack the wife and I’s old kayaks using a bed extender up until last year. Unfortunately my wife doesn’t have the best back so it made stacking more difficult at times.

My buddy runs a roof rack it sucks

After buying a trailer and running it for a year I would say it’s worth it. For long out of province trips it’s way nicer to have the box of the truck for gear. It is also way easier to load and unload. It’s also nice for storing everything in the shop. It’s good to go hook it up and leave

If I am doing a solo day trip I will still use the bed extender but the trailer is completely worth it otherwise

thumper 01-22-2024 09:35 PM

I’ve been using a Yakima ‘Rack ‘n Roll’ trailer for the last 15 years. Independent motorcycle-style suspension (no axle) so it’s great on forestry trails or rutted backroads, and gives your yaks a cushy ride - no shaking things loose and banging/rattling like those awful utility trailers. Light aluminum and folds up for easy storage angainst a garage wall. Only rated to 250/350 lbs (depends on shocks) - so not very useful as a utility trailer for also hauling heavy loads. Have hauled 2 heavy Hobie Kayaks along everywhere from the 120 kph Coquhalla to very rough 2-track trails.