Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Steelhead. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=36444)

Walleyes 07-02-2009 09:14 AM

Steelhead.

Lets just set one thing straight here right off the hop,, " THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN EASTERN CANADA". Like a few on here I'm sure, I watch a few fishing programs and as well I read the odd outdoor magazine and I have to say that I am sick and tired of these so called pro's and self proclaimed fish experts calling eastern Rainbow trout Steelhead.. These eastern fish are not Steelhead they are simply Rainbow's. A Steelhead is an ocean run trout hence it hits the salt water and then returns to the fresh water to spawn and so on back and forth in some cases a few times in its life span. This is what makes this species unique from its cousin the Rainbow. Well the last time I checked the great lakes were not salt water nor were any of the other numerous land locked lakes in Ontario.

Now say what you will and make any exuse you want but it is what it is. Those eastern fish are "NOT" Steelhead and again I am sick and tired of them being called this. Its like calling a Walleye a Pickeral,, sorry make any exuse you want they are two differant fish. Thats just the truth..

BobLoblaw 07-02-2009 10:29 AM

Call 'em anything you wish, I would love to fish some of those little creeks that those great lakes rainbows run up in the spring!
Interesting post, though, Pickerals...uhh...I mean, Walleyes.:evilgrin:

sheephunter 07-02-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyes (Post 344060)
Lets just set one thing straight here right off the hop,, " THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN EASTERN CANADA". Like a few on here I'm sure, I watch a few fishing programs and as well I read the odd outdoor magazine and I have to say that I am sick and tired of these so called pro's and self proclaimed fish experts calling eastern Rainbow trout Steelhead.. These eastern fish are not Steelhead they are simply Rainbow's. A Steelhead is an ocean run trout hence it hits the salt water and then returns to the fresh water to spawn and so on back and forth in some cases a few times in its life span. This is what makes this species unique from its cousin the Rainbow. Well the last time I checked the great lakes were not salt water nor were any of the other numerous land locked lakes in Ontario.

Now say what you will and make any exuse you want but it is what it is. Those eastern fish are "NOT" Steelhead and again I am sick and tired of them being called this. Its like calling a Walleye a Pickeral,, sorry make any exuse you want they are two differant fish. Thats just the truth..

LOL...know what you are saying Walleyes but the stocks in the great lakes are derived from west coast steelhead so genetically they are steelhead, they just don't have access to an ocean.

Redfrog 07-02-2009 11:48 AM

Metamusil??????

You seem a little tense.

How about horns vs antlers :mad3::mad3::mad3:

What the hell is the matter with people?:huh: Why can't they get this stuff straight?:lol:

Bushrat 07-02-2009 08:46 PM

Actually rainbow trout have found their way into and are increasing in population in some maritime province rivers are migrating down the rivers into the atlantic ocean then back up later to spawn. Then theres the Brook Trout that run up the rivers in the spring from the ocean, known locally as sea trout and yes, sea run brown trout too. All those species can be anadromous. Don't forget the sea run cutthroats of the west coast and vancouver island.

Kevin C. 07-02-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheephunter (Post 344097)
LOL...know what you are saying Walleyes but the stocks in the great lakes are derived from west coast steelhead so genetically they are steelhead, they just don't have access to an ocean.

Thank you sheep hunter you beat me to it. Being from Ontario and having caught said fish from the Great Lakes they are infact steelhead. So maybe just take a chill pill man, you seem to be taking it way to personal. I guess the atlantics in lake Ontario are not really atlantics either right, because they have no acccess to salt.:confused:

Walleyes 07-03-2009 09:24 AM

Boys I'm not tense at all,, just stating a fact.. I knew there would be some eastern boys on here trying to defend the fishery.. Like I said make any excuse you want it is what it is or I guess you could say they are what they are nothing more than Rainbows.. As far as the Rainbows in the Atlantic provinces making their way to the salt,, well now that's different and I stand corrected these would in fact be Steelhead. The great lakes Rainbow being Steelhead nah sorry they are not but its a nice try..

cohod 07-03-2009 11:02 AM

so by your logic the great lakes salmon are not salmon because they don't go in the ocean?

cohod

Kevin C. 07-03-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walleyes (Post 344573)
Boys I'm not tense at all,, just stating a fact.. I knew there would be some eastern boys on here trying to defend the fishery.. Like I said make any excuse you want it is what it is or I guess you could say they are what they are nothing more than Rainbows.. As far as the Rainbows in the Atlantic provinces making their way to the salt,, well now that's different and I stand corrected these would in fact be Steelhead. The great lakes Rainbow being Steelhead nah sorry they are not but its a nice try..

Ill save my breath, would be better spent blowing smoke.

Walleyes 07-03-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin C. (Post 344815)
Ill save my breath, would be better spent blowing smoke.

O.K.

ESOXangler 07-05-2009 02:26 AM

i grew up fishing for pickeral and steelhead in northwestern ontario and thats just what they are steelhead and pickeral. People sometimes get too caught up over terminalogy, in the end its about catching fish not worrying about what to call it. Words are just words, just like douche bag might mean one thing to you, it'll mean something else to me. And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.

Walleyes 07-05-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Words are just words, just like douche bag might mean one thing to you, it'll mean something else to me. And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.
Yah,, O.K that makes sense to me a douche bag is what kind of fish ??? O.h wait your from Ontario,, it all makes sense to me now....

P.S.. THERE ARE NO STEELHEAD IN ONTARIO...

albertadave 07-05-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ESOXangler (Post 345225)
And i sir know what a douche bag looks like.

Would this be the right time to say: "It takes one to know one"?:lol::lol:

Walleyes 07-05-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delburnedave (Post 345291)
Would this be the right time to say: "It takes one to know one"?:lol::lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks,, I really wanted to say it but thought I would hold off.. But you said it just fine..

fluxcore 07-05-2009 12:19 PM

I always thought walleye and pickeral were the same just refered to different back east? the same as pick and jack

floppychicken 07-05-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluxcore (Post 345335)
I always thought walleye and pickeral were the same just refered to different back east? the same as pick and jack

Common misconception...

A 'Pickeral' is very much like a pike but the markings and nose are a bit different. Look up 'Grass Pickeral' or 'American Pickeral' for a better description of such a fish. I used to catch a lot of them back East when I was a kid....

As a matter of fact, here's a link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pickerel'

Cheers,

/FC...