Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It’s a No! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=354535)

DiabeticKripple 11-13-2018 10:14 PM

It’s a No!

Results are in. 56% voted no.

Time to move on and get a pipeline built.

We did not need the debt.

JReed 11-13-2018 10:41 PM

Good to hear! I bet the money they spent just to get to this point is just as sickening

drhu22 11-13-2018 10:42 PM

Oh well

58thecat 11-14-2018 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3871298)

The peasants voted....now the council will have thier say.....wait one.....

Badgerbadger 11-14-2018 06:18 AM

Good.

I imagine it'll get pushed through anyway.

happy honker 11-14-2018 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple (Post 3871298)

So this was intended to be INSTEAD of getting a pipeline?!?

Sundancefisher 11-14-2018 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy honker (Post 3871401)
So this was intended to be INSTEAD of getting a pipeline?!?

Pipelines are worth billions to Alberta’s economy.

Apparently some feel the Olympics are worth billions also.

LeroyvdH 11-14-2018 07:21 AM

Shoulda built the pipeline couple years ago. Maybe we could afford olympics

HoytCRX32 11-14-2018 07:29 AM

:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::s Ha_shakeshout:

muirsy 11-14-2018 07:47 AM

It wasn't either/or.

zabbo 11-14-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JReed (Post 3871313)
Good to hear! I bet the money they spent just to get to this point is just as sickening

$30 million plus. Peanuts for spendshi and co. :scared0018:

muirsy 11-14-2018 10:08 AM

People have no problem dropping $2k during stampede, thousands on boats and other toys when times are rolling - but don't dare increase my taxes by $1 for something long term.

Get ******ed

Bellero 11-14-2018 10:10 AM

Common sense prevailed. We just saved a few billions.

AndrewM 11-14-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muirsy (Post 3871486)
People have no problem dropping $2k during stampede, thousands on boats and other toys when times are rolling - but don't dare increase my taxes by $1 for something long term.

Get ******ed

At 10% unemployment in Calgary, I highly doubt anyone is spending $2K during stampede. Regardless, I will choose what I spend my money on, not the government. Taxes are already supposed to go up 3% per year over the next 3 years in Calgary. Couldn't imagine what it would have been with the olympics. Calgary has a spending problem, not an income problem.

sns2 11-14-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Get ******ed

Just so all are aware inflammatory, unprovoked, and idiotic posts like this will get you a timeout in a hurry. Won't be tolerated.

Rockman 11-14-2018 01:34 PM

I'm happy. It was a purely economic decision for me. The province, city and myself can't afford that big and expensive a party.

bobtodrick 11-14-2018 02:23 PM

Quote:

Get ******ed

I can take whatever I want out of my pocket for entertainment.
The government cannot.
What do you not get about that?

skain11 11-14-2018 02:32 PM

So having lived in YYC from '82 to 2016 and also worked as a bartender in the 88 Olympic village and attended several events back then, I am disappointed. The memories and pride in our city province and country of those days still make me smile. Obviously times have changed and the economic confidence in the heart of the new west has been eroded for many reasons including the overall global depression. And as a consequence Calgary has lost a little of the swagger that the rest of the country was always envious of. How in the hell does YYC have the worst football stadium and the oldest arena in the country and no indoor field house in a winter city? Yet there is a new library, new music center and great soccer infrastructure. And having recently been out of work for two years while living in Calgary I am well aware of the financial pressures we are all feeling as well as the IOC corruption and the security costs required in this day and age. . That said I will miss that excited feeling that takes over a community during the 8 yr build up...sort of like when you look forward to a booked vacation to get you through the rest of your daily grind...flame away I will use the heat positively

JB_AOL 11-14-2018 02:53 PM

Maybe I'm missing something.. But Calgary has "fieldhouses" all around the city.

U of C, SAIT, MRU
Talisman center (or whatever the hell it's called now), Genesis center
All the YMCA's, specifically the new ones in the NW & Seton.
Southland leisure, Village Square, etc.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I think most people were actually "for" the olympics, just not how it was being handled this time. I wouldn't be surprised if within a year or two, they announce Calgary2030, and try to do it properly.

wwbirds 11-14-2018 03:24 PM

Heard a political analyst last night say the people are never wrong.
faster higher stronger does not contain the word " we can't" anywhere in the Olympic slogan. We can languish in this poor econony as an excuse to never build or achieve anything ever again. No risk no reward. carry on!

AndrewM 11-14-2018 03:33 PM

I would have been up for changing my vote if someone from outside the city wanted to pay my increase in taxes! Pretty easy to support when you don't have to pay for it.

Bushrat 11-14-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Get ******ed

How many people is that, attendance averages a million for all events and its a bunch of people who can easily afford multiple events, tourists, corporate sponsored guests etc. Probably less than 25% of Calgarians can afford to attend the Stampede. What about the vast majority of people who can't afford to go to the Stampede or the Olympics yet goofs like you expect them to shell out thousands in tax dollars for something they won't see. Obviously you are out of touch with the reality of the average Albertan.

Like someone mentioned in one of these threads, why not set up a go fund me and see just how much money you can raise. You could be the first to send in $2500, in fact since you want it so bad why don't you start it off with a $25,000 donation. That would cover for about 10 people who can't afford it.

Or we could just tax the people who vote yes for the whole shebang. Those who vote no don't get billed. Wonder what the yes/no vote percentages would be then.

The people don't want it.

Scott h 11-14-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockman (Post 3871626)
I'm happy. It was a purely economic decision for me. The province, city and myself can't afford that big and expensive a party.

I guess that's why they had a vote.
I remember well the opposition to the previous Calgary Olympics as well as those in Vancouver. Lots of people against it for various reasons, but the most cited was cost. It was kinda funny how all those against the games just disappeared once the games started.

Scott h 11-14-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwbirds (Post 3871693)
Heard a political analyst last night say the people are never wrong.
faster higher stronger does not contain the word " we can't" anywhere in the Olympic slogan. We can languish in this poor econony as an excuse to never build or achieve anything ever again. No risk no reward. carry on!

I seem to recall a bit of a downturn in the early 80's when Calgary started the bid process for the 88 Olympics.

two_ker 11-14-2018 06:58 PM

Even if the yes vote had won, it does not automatically mean Calgary would have been the winning bid , and shovels would be in the ground sorta speak. Or am I missing something?

1stLand 11-14-2018 07:35 PM

The IOC is going to have a hard time finding a capable & competent bid for 2026.

The IOC's corruption, the cost of the games, the debt that comes with them - will eventually put an end to the Winter Olympic Games unless something changes.

IOC needs to change with the times and help reduce the cost of the games and put more revenue generated from the games back into the municipalities & countries pockets.

RandyBoBandy 11-14-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Get ******ed

Mommy, what does that man mean to say ?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

6.5 shooter 11-14-2018 08:09 PM

I am amazed how many people are willing to spend my money so they can have bragging rights and a three week party.....The Olympics a are a scam. make IOC members rich and the city that hosts the party go broke...SO glad it was a no vote.

does it ALL outdoors 11-14-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stLand (Post 3871866)
The IOC is going to have a hard time finding a capable & competent bid for 2026.

The IOC's corruption, the cost of the games, the debt that comes with them - will eventually put an end to the Winter Olympic Games unless something changes.

IOC needs to change with the times and help reduce the cost of the games and put more revenue generated from the games back into the municipalities & countries pockets.

Spot on.

Unless the IOC starts sharing in both costs and profits they will go the way of the Dodo bird and not just winter Oly's, summer's too.

Just look at how the last two summers were handed out, the IOC's greed is quickly coming to an end

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 11-14-2018 08:11 PM

I’m sure that I’m one of the few that is sad about this. I play the game civilization and I’m very good at it and I love sports and competition.This a huge loss for Alberta by not putting our culture and home advantage on stage for the world to see again.