Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AB Fish and Game Association should be ashamed (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=296577)

Rifle 08-19-2016 11:09 PM

AB Fish and Game Association should be ashamed

They've been quoted in numerous articles as saying that since it's not a popular form of hunting, they'll support a ban on spear hunting. Way to stick up for someone making a cleaner kill than a lot of guys do with a rifle.

And that logic sucks. What happens when they go after muzzle loaders? Or bows?

Ashamed of AB Fish and Game Association, and with this government.

300magman 08-20-2016 01:21 AM

Fully agree. Not much of a voice for albertan hunters are they.

Grizzly Adams 08-20-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300magman (Post 3306143)

Be pretty tough to come out publicly and defend spear hunting, after what this idiot did.

Grizz

mulecrazy 08-20-2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3306196)
Be pretty tough to come out publicly and defend spear hunting, after what this idiot did.

Grizz

killed an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a legal weapon??? just because you couldn't do it, doesn't mean he shouldn't.

dmcbride 08-20-2016 08:27 AM

I have already told them I will not be renewing my membership and friends and family will be doing the same.

I can see the future already. Next time it will be a bow hunter that shoots an animal at last light. Gets excited on film after the shot, decides to wait till morning. Finds the animal in the morning dead, gets excited, a little bit of guts showing. Post the video on line.

Anti's froth at the mouth and claim every worst possible scenario, left for dead, suffered for 20hrs, there are better weapons to use Ect.

Next up, muzzleloader's.

Newview01 08-20-2016 08:37 AM

From what we can see on the videos, is spear hunting any different than bow hunting? This is my first year bow hunting, hence I am asking the question out of curiosity. I am assuming the hunter knows what they are doing and is competent with a spear, like what we saw on the video..

lead chucker 08-20-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulecrazy (Post 3306208)
killed an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a legal weapon??? just because you couldn't do it, doesn't mean he shouldn't.

Couldn't agree more. If hunter's don't stick together on this one it'll be one form of hunting after another.

NSDucknut 08-20-2016 08:46 AM

Thanks for this info. No more dollars from my family.

Deer Hunter 08-20-2016 08:59 AM

Their stance on spear hunting is the least of my concerns. There are bigger issues which they have continuously fumbled. Issues that don't show up on the evening news but are slowly, surely, killing our past time

purgatory.sv 08-20-2016 09:06 AM

How do we regulate behaviour?

The individual did nothing wrong in the harvest.

It’s been said in the other treads about this event, the way he shared the harvest was not smart.

He has given any and all the opportunity to question the activity we in this community enjoy.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=296189

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=296500

BuckCuller 08-20-2016 09:07 AM

Stop posting questionable bad shots on the INTERNET and TV.

You know who should be really ashamed (The video editor). For putting us hunters in this predicament in the first place. Stop posting stupid crap, bad shots happen but the graphic material does not need to be televised.

cowboyhunter 08-20-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter (Post 3306230)
Their stance on spear hunting is the least of my concerns. There are bigger issues which they have continuously fumbled. Issues that don't show up on the evening news but are slowly, surely, killing our past time

Agree 100 percent ! They are not the voice they were !

Frosty Tracks 08-20-2016 09:44 AM

It's times like this when you would hope your local organizations would support the hunting community,it was a legal bear hunt maybe not everyone's chosen method but none the less still legal!!! And like someone else mentioned earlier what will they decide next is not to their approval??? If it's legal we need to stick together even if it's not your chosen method , because your method may be next IMO

ganderblaster 08-20-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lead chucker (Post 3306223)
Couldn't agree more. If hunter's don't stick together on this one it'll be one form of hunting after another.

I agree 100%. I have zero interest in handguns, military or black special ops rifles or spear hunting but I will defend anyone who does. Once they start banning they do not stop. One only needs to look to Australia to understand this.

243 wild cat 08-20-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSDucknut (Post 3306224)
Thanks for this info. No more dollars from my family.

Same here i will not be renewing my membership and my friends and family will be doing the same so they tell me.
It's times like this when you would hope your local organizations would support the hunting community and they do this well then no support from me. :mad0030:

Pathfinder76 08-20-2016 10:59 AM

They are an embarrassment and have been for a long time.

walking buffalo 08-20-2016 11:03 AM

I feel the same way as many here. I am Extremely disappointed with the AFGA's president comments. I truly believed the AFGA would stand up and fight for hunters.

I am not convinced yet that these comments were an official position of the AFGA or just those of the president. Time will tell if the organization has changed their position and no longer supports the use of regulated spears and atlatls, and most importantly the breathless capitulation in sacrificing a segment of legal hunting as an offering of good will to the antis.

My suggestion is to consider deeply before dropping your support from the AFGA.
Isn't such a move similar to the comments? "You won't play my way so I quit?"

Before giving up that membership, I believe that the proper and fulfilling direction to take for those who disagree with the president's actions is to contact the AFGA and express your opinion and intent.

This way there is a chance to make the change you desire.

Write to the AFGA, send your email to each of these individuals.

I have a hunch there will be an executive meeting on this topic very soon, and it is very important for the membership to let these people know where you stand.

And THANK YOU to those that do write in support of HUNTING! :)

President Wayne Lowry
rwlowry7@gmail.com

Hunting Chair Ian Stuart
ianstuart@cciwireless.ca

1st Vice-President Doug Butler
dougbutler@live.com

2nd Vice-President Brian Dingreville
brianad@shaw.ca Coalhurst

Sooner 08-20-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300magman (Post 3306143)

While they do good on a lot of fronts, I have never felt they would go toe to toe in what I have seen with their actions to combat the anti's.

I keep thinking we need a new "voice" that can show some numbers and voting power to the govt of the day. These guys seem to be too top heavy and don't want to ruffle feathers Imo. Can their be a new voice for outdoor's people when we cant even agree on legal issues in our own group?

Ab F&G should be right in the press's face at every opportunity saying legal hunt, legal method of hunting. Explain it out, admit the medium may not have been right but it don't take away that this hunt was legal in all aspects, not just jump on the ban wagon.

Springer 08-20-2016 11:04 AM

Hmm what about all the good things Fish and Game association does before jumping on the band wagon..Im sure it was lengthy discussion before making the decision. I would want to hear both sides of this story before grabbing my pitch fork and joining the masses .

Deer Hunter 08-20-2016 11:25 AM

Needs a house cleaning from the top down.
Too entrenched for too long.
New blood to deal with new issues.
Don't waste your money until there is a change
Don't waste your time emailing

Grizzly Adams 08-20-2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulecrazy (Post 3306208)

Killing an animal is one thing, making a Reality tv show about it is quite another.

Grizz

mulecrazy 08-20-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 3306380)
Killing an animal is one thing, making a Reality tv show about it is quite another.

Grizz

so are you against all hunting shows or just ones you haven't consulted you for formatting approval?

Nyksta 08-20-2016 12:15 PM

The spear mounted gopro killing strike slow motion 3 times in a row set to rockmusic followed by flexing and hooting and hollaring is the reason people find this video disrespectful. The rest of the hunt was the same as anything else. The shock value gopro and jockish attitude are why there is a kneejerk reaction. People need to stop searching for youtube fame and think before how they post a video to represent the hunting lifestyle. Josh bowmar looks obnoxious and disrespectful. Edit that out

greywolf 08-20-2016 12:29 PM

It wasn't to many years ago the anti crowd use to be critical of hunting with firearms, and how we should hunt with primitive weapons to give the animal a chance, now a days archery and "Spear" hunters are chastised. Its a no win situation for hunters.
Of course the way some hunters present themselves on camera or in public doesn't help matters.

walking buffalo 08-20-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyksta (Post 3306396)
The spear mounted gopro killing strike slow motion 3 times in a row set to rockmusic followed by flexing and hooting and hollaring is the reason people find this video disrespectful. The rest of the hunt was the same as anything else. The shock value gopro and jockish attitude are why there is a kneejerk reaction. People need to stop searching for youtube fame and think before how they post a video to represent the hunting lifestyle. Josh bowmar looks obnoxious and disrespectful. Edit that out

I believe that many here are not yet understanding what the hunting community is facing.

It doesn't matter what the videos or photos show, these anti-hunting campaigns are incredible focused on succeeding regardless of the evidence offered.

Have a look at this research article.

"Hunting for Trophies: Online Hunting Photographs Reveal Achievement Satisfaction with Large and Dangerous Prey"

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/...NzPXRydWVAQEAw

These people are going all out to find any way to end hunting.
Blaming Josh Bowmar is taking the bait set out by the anti-hunters.

And this is why I am so PO'd by the comments from the AFGA president.

There is NO APPEASING these people. No matter what the video d'jour....

We must take a stand!

albertabighorn 08-20-2016 01:11 PM

He gave them ammo and was distasteful in doing it.

Full Curl Earl 08-20-2016 01:27 PM

Lol

The 8 spear hunters in Alberta should be outraged by this!
I'm glad Alberta Fish and Game is not wasteing funds supporting such a small group of enthusiasts, when so many other issues are at hand.
And I am not a big fan of the organization.
Having said that, I am a member of a large organization who also has to pick what hill to die on, and spear hunting tainted by this fool is not that hill folks.
He has drawn negative attention to all, and for that the public will make us all suffer. Hunting isn't about blood and guts, at least not for me, and I wouldn't buy UA gear if they supported It.
And if you take a stand on this, you will flip that large portion of the public that are sitting on the fence, the ones who do not hunt but understand our connection to it. All hunting will then be at risk.
Hunters in Canada have proven that we cant band together to protect our heritage, and this tasteless act is where we will all come together? This is a fools stand and should be run from.

JimPS 08-20-2016 01:40 PM

Footnote in History:

United They Stood - Divided They Fell.

All in the past tense.

Nyksta 08-20-2016 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl (Post 3306441)
The 8 spear hunters in Alberta should be outraged by this!
I'm glad Alberta Fish and Game is not wasteing funds supporting such a small group of enthusiasts, when so many other issues are at hand.
And I am not a big fan of the organization.
Having said that, I am a member of a large organization who also has to pick what hill to die on, and spear hunting tainted by this fool is not that hill folks.
He has drawn negative attention to all, and for that the public will make us all suffer. Hunting isn't about blood and guts, at least not for me, and I wouldn't buy UA gear if they supported It.
And if you take a stand on this, you will flip that large portion of the public that are sitting on the fence, the ones who do not hunt but understand our connection to it. All hunting will then be at risk.
Hunters in Canada have proven that we cant band together to protect our heritage, and this tasteless act is where we will all come together? This is a fools stand and should be run from.

We need to protect the right for respectful ethical hunters to continue to be able to hunt with whatever style they choose. eliminating spear hunting because some yahoo makes a rock music gopro video is not a proper representation of the spear hunters that do it tastefully. If he had used a rifle or compound bow or long bow or anything else, and he played rock music while slow motion replay 3 times over of the impact of the weapon into the animal played and flexed and jumped around cheering, it would be equally alarming and people would react the same way. Josh Bowmar celebrated his ego and kill, and disrespected the bear harvest. Banning a form of hunting based on one video is not right and i'm not agreeing with "pick what hill to die on, and spear hunting tainted by this fool is not that hill folks." they cannot have any hill just because of this video.

Grizzly Adams 08-20-2016 01:51 PM

There is NO APPEASING these people. No matter what the video d'jour.

True, but it doesn't make sense to pee in their face. Always amazing how a tiny group of protesters can have a huge influence, goes to the we gotta please everybody syndrome, fed by the media to a large degree.

Grizz