Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   100 laying hens for bait (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=372038)

Somehunter 11-08-2019 07:31 PM

100 laying hens for bait

Have approx 100 laying hens that are finished laying for good. Thought some here could use them for bait. PM to arrange pick up.
You can take em live or knock em and toss em.

MATT

Somehunter 11-08-2019 08:13 PM

A kind member corrected me to add the location lol.
They are located near vermillion.

Drewski Canuck 11-09-2019 02:13 PM

Spent hens do make great soup stock too you know!!

But there is a little work involved getting to that point!

Drewski

Grizzly Adams 11-10-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck (Post 4053369)
Spent hens do make great soup stock too you know!!

But there is a little work involved getting to that point!

Drewski

Seems like a shame to just use them for bait when people are hungry. Talk about food waste ? :confused:

Grizz

H380 11-10-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4053969)
Seems like a shame to just use them for bait when people are hungry. Talk about food waste ? :confused:

Grizz

Amount of meat on em makes bait the best alternative

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Somehunter 11-10-2019 05:11 PM

I would donate them but they are not suitable for consumption. I keep these birds soo my friends, family and community have a fresh supply of eggs that cost them nothing.

wwbirds 11-10-2019 05:29 PM

beleive me bait is the best use

I used them for coyotes 10 years ago or more when local egg operation replaced laying hens. I had an empty pen so put about 20 in early fall to try to fatten them up for meat. No meat and hardly any feathers so first frosts of fall they were dying from exposure. think the major operations sell them to soup companies for pennies each as they might add a bit of chicken flavor to a broth but no meat on those bones unless you eat the innards. Not sure the coyotes were even that impressed.

Somehunter 11-10-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwbirds (Post 4054091)
I used them for coyotes 10 years ago or more when local egg operation replaced laying hens. I had an empty pen so put about 20 in early fall to try to fatten them up for meat. No meat and hardly any feathers so first frosts of fall they were dying from exposure. think the major operations sell them to soup companies for pennies each as they might add a bit of chicken flavor to a broth but no meat on those bones unless you eat the innards. Not sure the coyotes were even that impressed.

They molted late and with the cold like you said just a matter of time befor they start dropping.

spoiledsaskhunter 11-10-2019 08:13 PM

fantastic coyote bait.......stick 'em down a badger hole and set traps in the dirt pile.