Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What would you do ? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=210488)

elk eater 02-25-2014 09:46 AM

What would you do ?

Recently ( last spring ) a friend of mine had a problem with a aggressive cow moose in his yard that was defending its young. The moose showed up in his yard ( farm ) to eat the willows and wouldn't leave. He called SRD officers and was told just leave her alone and she won't bother you. Problem is his grandchildren play in the yard all the time. The cow had run at them once stopping short and retreating. Then a few days later the kids got in between the cow and calf while playing and things got serious. Moose kinda had them pinned against the barn and was seriously agitated. Was wondering what you would do in this situation ? Sorry probably should have posted in general but just looking for some ithoughts. Thank you b

Lefty-Canuck 02-25-2014 09:48 AM

I would flip out a five of diamonds or a Len Thompson red/white and lure the moose away from the kids....

LC :)

58thecat 02-25-2014 09:51 AM

Have the fish cops show up to deal with it, let them know if you or your family members from here on in are threatened the animal will be put down. I am sure they can relocate the pair. Until then keep the family away because they can get violent fast.

fishermansfriend 02-25-2014 09:55 AM

if kids where in danger (life-threatening and in most cases they would be) i would protect them with necessary force.. being bear spray or what ever else i needed to do.

densa44 02-25-2014 09:55 AM

Do you have a dog?

I'd try the dog first and then the fish cops and have her removed.

Michael_Brown 02-25-2014 09:56 AM

Negative experience therapy for the moose. They should scare the crap out of the cow anytime she comes near the house.
Air horns, firecrackers, car horn, etc. I don't think it would be considered harassment if you were actively trying to deter the animal from hanging around the house.
She will find somewhere else to spend her time.

Saves the animal and elimates the problem.

elk eater 02-25-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Brown (Post 2337883)
Negative experience therapy for the moose. They should scare the crap out of the cow anytime she comes near the house.
Air horns, firecrackers, car horn, etc. I don't think it would be considered harassment if you were actively trying to deter the animal from hanging around the house.

Yeah he contacted SRD officers a couple of times and that's what they told him. It worked a few times but stubborn old moose kept coming back. Funny I never have that problem in hunting season !!!

STURKO OUTDOORS 02-25-2014 10:29 AM

fish and wildlife would get one call from me. if they did nothing and the moose put children in life threatening danger we would have a freezer full of moose. She would protect her calf with life threading force and so would I.

Redfrog 02-25-2014 10:40 AM

http://clashdaily.com/2014/02/wicked...graphic-video/

One more reason for CCW.:)

bull master 02-25-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STURKO OUTDOORS (Post 2337927)
fish and wildlife would get one call from me. if they did nothing and the moose put children in life threatening danger we would have a freezer full of moose. She would protect her calf with life threading force and so would I.

I agree. If my family is in danger ill take my chances either shoot shovel and shut up or have my day in court. Either way your kids are safe and that's all that matters.

fish gunner 02-25-2014 11:35 AM

Keep the kids inside & teach kids to come in when they see the moose or in all lightly hood you will be killing moose for a good while. Your in her yard to remember.

Dakota369 02-25-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfrog (Post 2337941)

No reason for nothing.......he could of gone another way. Obviously the moose did not want to get off the packed snow, as it would have an issue moving through the deep stuff........and he didn't even stop and put one in its head to make sure it was down for good and not suffering........absolutely pathetic.....

:(

Geezle 02-25-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck (Post 2337865)
I would flip out a five of diamonds or a Len Thompson red/white and lure the moose away from the kids....

LC :)

I'd use the biggest blue/chrome Rattlin' Rap with a really fast retrieve.

58thecat 02-25-2014 12:09 PM

Ahhh I see now, moose questions in the fish department, how dare you mix panties and motorcycles...Len Thompson 00 five of diamonds, slow retrieve at first, a little side to side action ought to get her panties really tied in a knote!:)

fish gunner 02-25-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 2338037)
Ahhh I see now, moose questions in the fish department, how dare you mix panties and motorcycles...Len Thompson 00 five of diamonds, slow retrieve at first, a little side to side action ought to get her panties really tied in a knote!:)

Uni or Palomar

elk eater 02-25-2014 01:12 PM

Oops

Yeah I noticed after I posted where it was. Guess I would have to go with a willow leaf trailed up with a treble full of apple. Your input is still valued though.

Red Bullets 02-25-2014 01:19 PM

Call the county animal control and tell them your story. They might be able to get F&W to respond better.

H380 02-25-2014 01:39 PM

Mmmmmm.. moose steak .. No seriously , you gotta protect your kids like she is for hers .

silver 02-25-2014 01:41 PM

You could try a Ford fender.

Redfrog 02-25-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota369 (Post 2338011)
No reason for nothing.......he could of gone another way. Obviously the moose did not want to get off the packed snow, as it would have an issue moving through the deep stuff........and he didn't even stop and put one in its head to make sure it was down for good and not suffering........absolutely pathetic.....

:(

You are right of course. And the Op can move his family to higher ground. After all the moose was here first and has rights too you know.:thinking-006:

The video clip shows a handgun is indeed effective for protection in the hands of a qualified user.:)

HunterDave 02-25-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Brown (Post 2337883)

x2 Make it miserable for her and she'll find somewhere else to head off to. :)

58thecat 02-25-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish gunner (Post 2338058)
Uni or Palomar

Double UNI! :)

fish gunner 02-25-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58thecat (Post 2338169)
Double UNI! :)

:test: noted

winmag 02-25-2014 04:07 PM

multi coloured moose

paint ball gun :)

Lefty-Canuck 02-25-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elk eater (Post 2338113)
Yeah I noticed after I posted where it was. Guess I would have to go with a willow leaf trailed up with a treble full of apple. Your input is still valued though.

Sorry man I had to :)

.....it makes me laugh so I figured some other folks might to.

In regards to your issue I would tell the Officer I talked to, "Do you plan on helping or can you live with the death of a small child on your shoulders because you chose to not help"

LC

TROLLER 02-25-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elk eater (Post 2337860)
Recently ( last spring ) a friend of mine had a problem with a aggressive cow moose in his yard that was defending its young. The moose showed up in his yard ( farm ) to eat the willows and wouldn't leave. He called SRD officers and was told just leave her alone and she won't bother you. Problem is his grandchildren play in the yard all the time. The cow had run at them once stopping short and retreating. Then a few days later the kids got in between the cow and calf while playing and things got serious. Moose kinda had them pinned against the barn and was seriously agitated. Was wondering what you would do in this situation ? Sorry probably should have posted in general but just looking for some ithoughts. Thank you b

I am sure there must be some natives in the area that would be more than happy to look after your problem of both the cow and the calf. Should not take more than a few inquiries to find someone willing to help you out.