Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Archery Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Shooting in the garage (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=343376)

shootermcgavin 04-19-2018 09:06 AM

Shooting in the garage

I don't have anywhere convenient to shoot my bow around my house without a good drive. I have shot in my garage a fair amount now at about 14 yards I can practice my form and building muscle. Even though its very close, I am concerned about misses. Do any of you guys shoot in your garage and what are you using for backstops?

35 whelen 04-19-2018 09:26 AM

Have 20 yards into my garage poked a hole through the wall once used to hang up a bunch of old carpets for a backstop

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

dfrobert 04-19-2018 09:27 AM

Rinehart 18-1 against my garage door. Sometimes less than 5 yards. Pick a spot and shoot your target. If it works at close range outside it will in your garage.

fallen1817 04-19-2018 09:58 AM

Anything from old carpet, as mentioned, to a piece of plywood. At that range, I wouldn't be too worried, but on the other hand, equipment can malfunction at any time, so I understand you wanting to play it safe.

Stinky Coyote 04-19-2018 11:11 AM

it's not if you'll poke a hole somewhere you don't want, it's when...you've been warned ;)

nsmitchell 04-19-2018 11:40 AM

Stall Matts

Go down to UFA of Peavey mart and pick up a stall mat for horse trailers. They are 3'x6' and will stop any misses the target. Will be fun getting the arrow out but no damage to garage. I put one through the insulated steel door once.

fallen1817 04-19-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmitchell (Post 3773358)
Go down to UFA of Peavey mart and pick up a stall mat for horse trailers. They are 3'x6' and will stop any misses the target. Will be fun getting the arrow out but no damage to garage. I put one through the insulated steel door once.

What do these stall mats usually run $$?

raw outdoors 05-10-2018 07:40 AM

Stall Matt all the way I have one that is 3/4” thick it must be 50lbs but man does it stop arrows. There was a guy on Kijiji selling them for a bit cheaper than ufa/ peavemart but if you are in Calgary area I would call norwesco industries they make all kinds of custom belts and rubber Matting. They many be cheaper , they also may have a scrap piece of odd shape.

Lefty-Canuck 05-10-2018 08:35 AM

I have had two equipment malfunctions shooting outside at home, one arrow through a shed...one arrow through the garage.

I shoot in the basement now :)

LC

ghostguy6 05-10-2018 09:32 AM

Just be warned, almost every municipality has laws against discharging weapons within city limits. In Strathcona county for example you can not even shoot a pellet gun or slingshot in the prescribed no shooting zones. Even hearing they are cracking down on airsoft guns as well.

bibbs 05-11-2018 09:10 AM

As far as I can tell the interpretation of the weapon discharge bylaw includes any land/area the public can access, your garage does not fall under the purview of this restriction. YMMV

UFA stall mats were $90 the last time I bought one and they are a pain to handle so you’ll want to recruit a helper to hang one.

nsmitchell 05-11-2018 09:33 AM

Try Uncle Weiner's

http://unclewiener.com/product/4-ft-...r-shop-garage/

These are 1/2" thick 4x6' and cost $45 each.

Remps17 05-18-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmitchell (Post 3773358)

X2. this is what I use. never damaged an arrow and allows me to shoot out to 80 yards and not worry about loosing an arrow.

Stinky Buffalo 05-18-2018 10:20 AM

We shoot in the garage as well - If I have recycling bags or old boxes I put them around the target area - mind you, the kids are shooting at a lower poundage anyhow. Also have an old plywood dresser behind that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmitchell (Post 3783833)
http://unclewiener.com/product/4-ft-...r-shop-garage/

These are 1/2" thick 4x6' and cost $45 each.

Good find!

Can pick up my casket there as well, while I'm at it.

Albertadiver 05-18-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostguy6 (Post 3783268)
Just be warned, almost every municipality has laws against discharging weapons within city limits. In Strathcona county for example you can not even shoot a pellet gun or slingshot in the prescribed no shooting zones. Even hearing they are cracking down on airsoft guns as well.

The Nerf gun registry will be implemented there soon too.

nsmitchell 05-18-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 3787171)
We shoot in the garage as well - If I have recycling bags or old boxes I put them around the target area - mind you, the kids are shooting at a lower poundage anyhow. Also have an old plywood dresser behind that...

Good find!

Can pick up my casket there as well, while I'm at it.

Hopefully not for a while on the casket. Costco sells caskets too.

Stinky Buffalo 05-18-2018 05:21 PM

Shooting in the garage

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsmitchell (Post 3787223)
Hopefully not for a while on the casket. Costco sells caskets too.

Haha! I figure that I could store my hunting stuff in there until I actually need it.

Which, hopefully isn’’t for a long time. :lol:

58thecat 05-20-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Yup, you get that one neighbour that makes a call....

repsol1k 05-22-2018 09:15 PM

I have shot my bow in the basement. I just made my backstop big enough I know i would not miss. Its a big cardboard box covered in carpet. Inside the box i stuffed it full of construction plastic. Poly sheeting etc from new build houses. Took of a tour or the new neighbored dumpsters and was done :)

Zuludog 05-22-2018 10:18 PM

Shoot in my basement at a block target.

Grump 05-23-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibbs (Post 3783821)
As far as I can tell the interpretation of the weapon discharge bylaw includes any land/area the public can access, your garage does not fall under the purview of this restriction. YMMV

Just to remove the element of speculation from this thread, the bylaws surrounding the discharge of an arrow within the city limits are governed by bylaw number 20M88, which states:

"10. No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless authorized by the Director, Calgary Parks or his designate.
(B/L 23M2003, 2004 January 12)
(B/L 7M2016, 2016 February 18)"

So just make sure you're not setting up your target on your neighbour's lawn, across the street.

nsmitchell 05-23-2018 06:33 PM

Great Matts at Princess Auto today

Noticed some great mats that would definitely stop arrows at Princess today for less than $30

Old longBow 05-24-2018 08:25 AM

Danger Danger

Ok well as long as the duct tape holds I'm good togo....just shot an arrow through my shop vac hose.....OPPS:thinking-006:

happy honker 05-24-2018 10:48 AM

Back before all my gear was stolen (I still haven't replaced a darn thing)...

The kids and I used to shoot a lot in the garage. I built a backstop out of 1" press board against the back wall...short ends of 2x4's stacked in front of that on either side of the target.
The target itself was 2 giant boxes on top of each other, packed with old clothes in plastic bags.

In front of the bottom box, was hung one of those burlap deer targets where the vitals were marked. On top of that box and in front of the top box was a typical box target from Wholesale sports.

Shooting in the garage was great for establishing muscle memory, practicing good habits, and I used it a lot to simply practice holding a draw for a long time.

I still have the "lane" set up and I think it's time to find a youth bow so my son can shoot again.

The garage is a great place to practice, but you really need to make sure you've reinforced your backstop and made it safe.

happy honker 05-24-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo (Post 3787359)
Haha! I figure that I could store my hunting stuff in there until I actually need it.

Which, hopefully isn’’t for a long time. :lol:

That's brilliant...maybe with a mod or two it could also serve as a lay down blind for geese!!

The Flint&Fly Guy 05-30-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy honker (Post 3789668)
That's brilliant...maybe with a mod or two it could also serve as a lay down blind for geese!!

Lol! “Coffin blind” eh!

Jayhad 06-01-2018 03:09 PM

10. No person shall shoot an arrow from a bow of any nature, over, across, or along any portion of a Street, public place, or upon any land owned by The City unless otherwise authorized pursuant to a bylaw of The City of Calgary, or in the case of a Park, unless authorized by the Director, Calgary Parks or his designate.
(B/L 23M2003, 2004 January 12)
(B/L 7M2016, 2016 February 18)"

The way I read this you can shoot in your yard, is that correct.

kw12 06-01-2018 05:22 PM

I shoot in my yard because that’s what I have taken from that and have yet to have any issues and I like in ellerslie in Edmonton

brendan's dad 06-02-2018 01:13 PM

Most jurisdictions will use the utility worker or mailman rule. If either can get to that part of your property, then it is considered public property even though privately owned. That is how privately owned businesses are considered public places for the enforcement of such laws as alcohol and smoking.

Lefty-Canuck 06-04-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw12 (Post 3793414)
I shoot in my yard because that’s what I have taken from that and have yet to have any issues and I like in ellerslie in Edmonton

That’s all fine and dandy...till an equipment failure prevents thy arrow from remaining in your yard...then you are 100% responsible for the outcome of where that arrow lands.

I have shot 10’s of thousands of arrows in my life and 2 equipment failures have caused unexplained arrow releases...that’s why I no longer shoot in my yard.

You have to ask yourself, is it worth the risk?

LC