Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got a ticket... tinted windows (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=146690)

Iron Brew 08-30-2012 07:42 AM

Got a ticket... tinted windows

Well, just got a ticket for tinted side windows yesterday. The tint was on the truck when I bought it. Was told by the seller it was the lightest tint, and legal. Drove it for 2 years and yesterday got a ticket. NO tint is allowed on the side (front) windows. $57 fine.

http://fightyourtickets.ca/tinting-m...hicle-windows/

Coiloil37 08-30-2012 08:14 AM

I bought a vehicle once with tinted front windows and had a ticket within the first day. I took it off, showed the cop that it was gone and he ripped the ticket up.

Clgy_Dave2.0 08-30-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Brew (Post 1582977)
Well, just got a ticket for tinted side windows..... NO tint is allowed on the side (front) windows. $57 fine.

Uh, yeah. Always has, always will be. :confused0024:

Chomack 08-30-2012 08:25 AM

I got one near Innisfail in January this year from a Sherrif with my speeding ticket. Officer was a total D!CK as well. So in addition to the $57 tint ticket and $120 Speeding ticket... He made me peel it off on the side of the road. Handed me a scraper and said "Get to work"

I was pretty ****ed but he said either do it or he would impound and tow it.

So the tint came off pretty easy as it was -25 outside but it took me another 3 hours to get the sticky goo off the windows this summer.

More and more vehicles in Calgary have tint on them but its a no-go in Edmonton. The cops there like to give a lot more tickets up there.

Iron Brew 08-30-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Dave (Post 1583019)
Uh, yeah. Always has, always will be. :confused0024:

Yeah? It's different all over. I've never put a tint on, but almost every vehicle has them now. I had always been under the impression light tints were allowed. Not at all in Alberta. I'm guessing I'm not the only one unaware of this.

Sooner 08-30-2012 08:37 AM

See a lot of wanna be gangsters in their mufflered out cars with black tint right up to eye level on the frt windows. Keeps them legal I guess. Too bad on the ticket if you can see through it ok.

Bigdad013 08-30-2012 08:37 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tinted side windows from the factory are ok? I have them on my vehicle, back side pssenger windows, never had a problem..

Okotokian 08-30-2012 08:40 AM

I believe back windows and back passenger windows are fine, just not front side windows or front windows.

elkhunter11 08-30-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but tinted side windows from the factory are ok? I have them on my vehicle, back side pssenger windows, never had a problem..
Factory tints are legal.

Clgy_Dave2.0 08-30-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Brew (Post 1583034)
Yeah? It's different all over. I've never put a tint on, but almost every vehicle has them now. I had always been under the impression light tints were allowed. Not at all in Alberta. I'm guessing I'm not the only one unaware of this.

Factory tinting has always been fine. As is tinting the rear and rear passenger windows.
But putting after market tint on passenger or front windshield has always been a ticket, in every province. Not sure which states in the US.
This discussion comes up in every car forum every time some new 17 yr old driver gets a ticket and he comes on screaming and hollering "TINTING'S ILLEGAL????"
Oh, and as they say..."Ignorantia juris non excusat" ;)

32-40win 08-30-2012 09:00 AM

There was a warning letter e-mailed out this wk from MDA Co-Auto about tinting, mudflap height & width and aftermarket HID headlight installs. Apparently the province has decided to enforce this for a while.

rancho-non-relaxo 08-30-2012 09:02 AM

In a side impact accident a window that is covered in tint has a chance of comming in to the vehicle as a single sheet of glass instead of breaking to little pieces as safety glass does. Because the driver is going to be injured and unable to control the vehicle it has been deemed illegal with that fine amount. Drive safe out there.:)

rugatika 08-30-2012 09:11 AM

It's so the police can look inside your car and see if you got your seatbelt on etc etc and are being a good little boy.

Next up. Curtains and blinds in homes. :)

elkhunter11 08-30-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

In a side impact accident a window that is covered in tint has a chance of comming in to the vehicle as a single sheet of glass instead of breaking to little pieces as safety glass does. Because the driver is going to be injured and unable to control the vehicle it has been deemed illegal with that fine amount.
So if that is really the reason for the law,an absolutely clear film would also be illegal?

Quote:

It's so the police can look inside your car and see if you got your seatbelt on etc etc and are being a good little boy.

Next up. Curtains and blinds in homes.
Much more believable.

Ebrand 08-30-2012 09:21 AM

Tint

The darkness of the tint is not the only issue.

By having the tint film on a window you. Change the way the window is designed to break in a crash. Side windows are designed and required by vehicle safety standards into very small pieces. Pieces that will not penetrate very far into the occupants in a crash. Adding even a clear film to the side windows (still illegal) creates a lamination (windshields are laminated glass) that does not maintain the characteristics of breaking into small pieces required. The dark tint givEs anonymity to ocuupants,that can be less desirable. Not being able to see into a vehicle is a safety factor for cops. It also prevents other drivers from seeing in and confirming the driver of a vehicle they are approaching can see them.

The sheriff is quite correct. A vehicle that does not comply cannot be operated. His way of dealing with it might be flawed. Complain about him if you want I'm writing. But no doubt more cars will get towed once a few officers get sick of the complaints.

AbAngler 08-30-2012 09:23 AM

RCMP in Sundre did a blitz last summer on tinted windows coming down the hill on 27. Made a couple buddies scrape it off right then and there. Both guys re-tinted shortly after. Its the price of having tinted front windows. Every once in a while you'll get a ticket for it. No demerits if I recall.

Sneeze 08-30-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugatika (Post 1583100)

Next up. Curtains and blinds in homes. :)

We think alike.

It used to be about seat belt enforcement.

Now its about distracted driving enforcement.

leeaspell 08-30-2012 09:34 AM

I like tint on windows, I don't have it on my front ones but i may get it, not for cool gangster look, but to make it harder for the crack heads to see what's in my truck

Clgy_Dave2.0 08-30-2012 09:36 AM

There are many "theories" as to why window tinting is illegal. The best way to answer the question "why" is summed up by a police officer himself:

Quote:

The bottom line is that every state (province) has different reasons for why they pass different laws, and short of researching the legislative process, its not always going to be clear.

There are always many factors that play into why a legislator votes for a certain thing. Some of the legislators might have voted to pass that law because lobbying groups for traffic safety got their support in favor of increasing safety by prohibiting things that decrease driver vision. Law Enforcement lobbying groups might have convinced other legislators to vote for the same bill because of increased officer safety.

As best as I can tell, those are the two primary concerns when it comes to vehicle tint. (officer safety and driver's vision impairment) If you want more detail, go to your state's (province's) library/archives and request coppies of the minutes from the legislative session that led to that law's passing.
Bottom line: It's illegal. Does it really matter "why"?

Kyle 08-30-2012 09:37 AM

I've heard the law is that they can give you a ticket, or you can rip the tint off and avoid the ticket. Nice to hear the cops up to their usual tricks. I've had my fronts tinted for a little over a year now and never had any problems (knock on wood)

Dacotensis 08-30-2012 09:41 AM

tint or not

I like not having tinted windows.
Makes it easier to see the deer when I'm hunting:)

Clgy_Dave2.0 08-30-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 1583137)
I've heard the law is that they can give you a ticket, or you can rip the tint off and avoid the ticket at the officer's discretion. Nice to hear the cops up to their usual tricks. I've had my fronts tinted for a little over a year now and never had any problems (knock on wood)

Fixed Your Post

"You can get a ticket for speeding, or you can promise to stop speeding and avoid the ticket" :confused:

Tinting is illegal; you can get fined for it.

bubba 96 08-30-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneeze (Post 1583128)
We think alike.

It used to be about seat belt enforcement.

Now its about distracted driving enforcement.

Its all about the officer's saftey, when he's pulled you over its pretty hard for him to see the driver with tinted windows if he has a gun or not, nothing to do with seatbelts or distracted driving..Also it is perfectly legal for the side windows to be tinted (drivers and passengers as long as 60% of the window is not covered, and can be the darkest tint around..I know as I researched it after I rece'd a ticket in bowden.....at the time it was a 5 dollar ticket, 15yrs ago, thing I didnt understand, while Im getting the ticket guys are going by at 130kms per hr, just couldent justify 5 bucks when he could have been ticking speeders for way more money..

JB_AOL 08-30-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Its all about the officer's saftey, when he's pulled you over its pretty hard for him to see the driver with tinted windows if he has a gun or not
Which is complete BS. I'd be more concerned about the guy in the back seat with a gun pointed at the officer the whole time. That is more likely than a driver doing something. If I approach my vehicle to talk to my wife, I can see perfectly what she is doing inside (with the window up). If this was such a big LEO safety thing, you'd think the most dangerous places in N.A. wouldn't allow it (texas/cali/NY/etc.).

Personally some laws (including this one) really need to be revisited (justified).

Majority of the time LEO's will not ticket you for tinted windows unless you did something else to attract their attention (unless of course there's an equipment violation sting that week).

Sneeze 08-30-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba 96 (Post 1583150)
Its all about the officer's saftey, when he's pulled you over its pretty hard for him to see the driver with tinted windows if he has a gun or not, nothing to do with seatbelts or distracted driving..

Must disagree. Ask yourself a few questions about it.

Has there EVER been a documented case in Alberta where an officer was injured by a driver because he could not see the driver through tinted windows?

When the law was first put in place, was there a documented case in Canada of an officer being injured because he could not see the driver? How about the United States? If so, what was the rate of officer injuries per tinted window? Was it enough to justify a law?

I am not certain on the answers to these questions, but have a pretty good idea what the answers would be. I encourage you to think outside the box. How can an officer enforce a seat belt law if he can't see the driver? How can an officer enforce distracted driving legislation if he can't see the driver? Why would the province be "cracking down" on tinted windows at this time?

JB_AOL 08-30-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

How can an officer enforce a seat belt law if he can't see the driver? How can an officer enforce distracted driving legislation if he can't see the driver?
How can he enforce a seatbelt law when he can't see the rest of the passengers?

Distracted driving... who are we kidding, they don't enforce that.

Kyle 08-30-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Dave (Post 1583148)
Fixed Your Post

"You can get a ticket for speeding, or you can promise to stop speeding and avoid the ticket" :confused:

Tinting is illegal; you can get fined for it.

I understand what you are saying, however I have heard it from multiple people that they can either a.) give you a ticket or b.) make you rip off the tint but not both. I will see if I can find it. Your example isn't relevant because that is just talking your way out of a ticket which is completely different.

Bushmaster 08-30-2012 10:36 AM

Got stopped in Provost last spring......cop handed me a scraper and I did it right there. And the back windows are ok to be tinted.

And I also found it to be easier to see deer, etc....

AbAngler 08-30-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 1583217)
a.) give you a ticket or b.) make you rip off the tint but not both.

I know for sure that one of my friends in Sundre got a ticket AND had to scrape it off. He's a dick though, so that might have had something to do with it.

rancho-non-relaxo 08-30-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle (Post 1583217)
I understand what you are saying, however I have heard it from multiple people that they can either a.) give you a ticket or b.) make you rip off the tint but not both. I will see if I can find it. Your example isn't relevant because that is just talking your way out of a ticket which is completely different.

Nope they can give you a ticket and make you rip the tint off as the reason for the initial stop. If you fail to remove the tint when the officer requests it be removed then the vehicle can be towed