Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   $0.07 Carbon Tax on fuel effective immediately! (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=286107)

Foot Stomper 04-14-2016 04:20 PM

$0.07 Carbon Tax on fuel effective immediately!

Hang on to your jobs folks! It's going to get super bumpy!

whiteout 04-14-2016 04:25 PM

No it's not.

Foot Stomper 04-14-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteout (Post 3202670)
No it's not.

troll

MAC 04-14-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 3202674)
troll

Where do you get your info.

"Starting Jan. 1, 2017, the levy will apply to purchases of fossil fuels that produce greenhouse-gas emissions when burned, at a rate of $20 per tonne of emitted carbon dioxide.

For gasoline, that means an extra 4.5 cents per litre at the pump. For diesel, it's 5.4 cents."

This will double again in 2018. Not disagreeing with the rough ride but at least make some sense.

MAC

Mossyoak 04-14-2016 04:48 PM

I hate the ndp

slickwilly 04-14-2016 04:54 PM

$500 cash coming back too. I think I`ll end up making money.

HunterDave 04-14-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 3202683)
"Starting Jan. 1, 2017, the levy will apply to purchases of fossil fuels that produce greenhouse-gas emissions when burned, at a rate of $20 per tonne of emitted carbon dioxide.

For gasoline, that means an extra 4.5 cents per litre at the pump. For diesel, it's 5.4 cents."

Would you happen to have a link to the article, Mac? I'd like to read it.

blgoodbrand1 04-14-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossyoak (Post 3202691)
I hate the ndp

I think we could be friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteout 04-14-2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly (Post 3202693)

Only if you make under $50k as an individual or $103k as a couple. If you make more, you get nothing.

Taco 04-14-2016 04:58 PM

I see a mileage rate increase in my not so distant future

Hemi Ram Truck 04-14-2016 04:59 PM

wtf

man they really like to kick the little guy when he's down

JustMe 04-14-2016 05:00 PM

Frig, gas goes up almost 5X that at services stations weekly courtesy of the oil companies and nobody minds. Why would we care about a lousy 4.5 cents a litre?? Somebody has to pay for all the infrastructure, money doesn't grow on trees!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 3202683)
Where do you get your info.

This will double again in 2018. Not disagreeing with the rough ride but at least make some sense.

MAC

canadiantdi 04-14-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMe (Post 3202702)
Frig, gas goes up almost 5X that at services stations weekly courtesy of the oil companies and nobody minds. Why would we care about a lousy 4.5 cents a litre?? Somebody has to pay for all the infrastructure, money doesn't grow on trees!

You don't think we're taxed enough?

MAC 04-14-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterDave (Post 3202694)
Would you happen to have a link to the article, Mac? I'd like to read it.

Both CBC but the only media that I could find some details on.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...gram-1.3536458

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...llet-1.3536341

MAC

JustMe 04-14-2016 05:06 PM

Absolutely, but my point is why would we cry about the paltry increase in government tax when prices go up 15+ cents a litre weekly and it's "just business" and if you don't like the price don't buy it philosophy. A lot on here feel it's perfectly ok for the oil companies to charge the consumer whatever they want, but heaven help us if the government dares raise the tax to support the province, not just the "few" that work in the oil industry. That last bit is said tongue in cheek........

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiantdi (Post 3202705)
You don't think we're taxed enough?

HunterDave 04-14-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly (Post 3202693)

I think that you are forgetting something besides just your vehicle and home heating. Virtually everything that is transported will cost more including groceries and clothing.

MAC 04-14-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMe (Post 3202710)
Absolutely, but my point is why would we cry about the paltry increase in government tax when prices go up 15+ cents a litre weekly and it's "just business" and if you don't like the price don't buy it philosophy. A lot on here feel it's perfectly ok for the oil companies to charge the consumer whatever they want, but heaven help us if the government dares raise the tax to support the province, not just the "few" that work in the oil industry. That last bit is said tongue in cheek........

I would be much more supportive of a tax increase if they were to manage the money a little more carefully. The premier speaks of avoiding reckless cuts, but no attempt at the slightest fiscal responsibility is hard to swallow.

You are correct about the price of gas, but as of late it appears to swing back down as fast. This tax wont budge, not even after a new party is voted in.

MAC

JustMe 04-14-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 3202713)
I would be much more supportive of a tax increase if they were to manage the money a little more carefully. The premier speaks of avoiding reckless cuts, but no attempt at the slightest fiscal responsibility is hard to swallow.

MAC

I agree. We need more accountability all around. And a good study of both the education and healthcare systems to see if cuts can be made that don't affect those in the front lines.

recce43 04-14-2016 05:39 PM

trucking companies are going to pass the increases on to us . groceries will go up everything will go up

dmcbride 04-14-2016 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recce43 (Post 3202745)
trucking companies are going to pass the increases on to us . groceries will go up everything will go up

Yep, and gas will go up more than 4.5 cents for the same reason.

canadiantdi 04-14-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMe (Post 3202710)

Market prices rise and fall for many good reasons.

It's quite a bit different than a tax that will probably be with us forever regardless of gov waste...

^v^Tinda wolf^v^ 04-14-2016 06:25 PM

On the bright side we are still the only province without the PST.

coolpete1 04-14-2016 06:26 PM

they planned that budget well, after the next election whoever wins won't be able to remove the tax because the dipps got us so far in the hole it will never get paid back.

HalfBreed 04-14-2016 06:28 PM

Time to dig out that bag of magic beans to start growing for food I got a couple years ago at Shambhala. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'd prefer to pay the carbon side than the PST or Harmonized side. Just a matter of time when AB will be paying all.

JustBen 04-14-2016 06:45 PM

I'm not as concerned about the price of gas as the increase to natural gas. WTF?

srs123 04-14-2016 06:57 PM

good, that way dippers can afford to build safe injection clinics for crack heads and give the unions their raises. and people like us get shafted.

Saskatchewan here I come

Tactical Lever 04-14-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalfBreed (Post 3202778)
Time to dig out that bag of magic beans to start growing for food I got a couple years ago at Shambhala. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'd prefer to pay the carbon side than the PST or Harmonized side. Just a matter of time when AB will be paying all.

If it was PST, it would just be on consumable crap, most of which a person do with less of.

Though with my truck or the wife's vehicle we probably burn a couple hundred liters a month, and can't just say: "Ok, truck; take it easy on that fuel." We like having lights on so we can see stuff when it is dark, but that has a carbon footprint, too. And my wife is opposed; strongly I might add to me turning down the thermostat to 60 degrees F.

The groceries will cost more too. We are probably not going to decide to go into caloric deficit. Although maybe we will not quite eat as healthy. So there go health care costs.

Badgerbadger 04-14-2016 07:30 PM

On the plus side, I'm glad they based the budget and future on oil prices $10 below industry expert forecasts.

On the minus side, I don't like the carbon tax as it's a form of PST and will hit low income people the hardest.

I would rather not have seen one at all, but if there had to be a carbon tax, put a couple cents per GJ (regardless of product) on everything, which would pass some costs on to those that consume our raw resources outside the province as well. I realize that increases the costs of production in the province, which is why I'd rather not have any form of carbon tax at all.

avb3 04-14-2016 07:31 PM

Why misleading headline???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 3202667)
Hang on to your jobs folks! It's going to get super bumpy!

Why would you post a misleading headline?

lmtada 04-14-2016 07:37 PM

Illinois response to Taxes. Taxing by the Mile.

Blog/The Hunt for Taxes
Posted Apr 14, 2016 by Martin Armstrong
Illinois Road Tax
llinois motorists are living in a bankrupt state that has promised pensions it never funded. Their state constitution bars the politicians from reducing the pensions so the net result, tax payers must pay a lot more to fund pensions of government workers. As oil prices have collapsed, tax revenues have dropped. The net result, the proposal made by Democrat State Sen. John Cullerton imposes a new tax upon residents forcing them to pay 1.5 cents per mile that they drive. Taxes will rise further and further as the States move into major deficits and as interest rates rise, they will be compelled to raise taxes drastically.
Categories: The Hunt for Taxes
:argue2: