Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TD bank investments. Yikes. (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=386055)

Red Bullets 08-13-2020 03:06 PM

TD bank investments. Yikes.

Was reading that the TD bank is investing in Trump's private prisons stocks. Know where your money is being invested.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wpev560Jmu8QXQ

stubby99ca 08-13-2020 03:08 PM

Thanks for posting. I will be sure to contact TD to invest.

fordtruckin 08-13-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4217937)
Was reading that the TD bank is investing in Trump's private prisons stocks. Know where your money is being invested.

The article logs all credibility when they start quoting someone who goes in about all the “amazing work” the movement for black lives has accomplished, if they are referring to BLM....

Also I didn’t notice any mention of these so called “Trumps private prisons” that you mentioned.... newsflash they were around long before Trump and will be around long after him as well.

Trochu 08-13-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubby99ca (Post 4217940)
Thanks for posting. I will be sure to contact TD to invest.

What's wrong with investing in a private prison?

Roughneck12 08-13-2020 05:14 PM

Cool.

ssyd 08-13-2020 05:22 PM

These are investments not fast food. Boycotting companies based on what the social justice warriors tell you to boycott only hurts you in the long term. Let them put your money wherever it's going to do the most good for you.

Pathfinder76 08-13-2020 05:23 PM

Somewhere a snowflake melts.....

stubby99ca 08-13-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trochu (Post 4217960)
What's wrong with investing in a private prison?

Nothing, maybe reread my post. I said I would be investing.

Dean2 08-14-2020 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4217937)

I have no idea what your investment portfolio looks like but if you are making your decisions based on this kind of information I would strongly suggest you move to a GIC only investment plan. You won't do well in the stock market.

saskbooknut 08-14-2020 06:22 AM

There are lots of options for investing. Avoiding some investment sectors is perfectly possible, without compromising good financial management.

There are ethical investment financial management firms, if that is your thing.

Banks are not your best investment advisors, because they look after the well being of the bank, first and foremost.

It looks like TD holdings in US Firms running private prisons is a trivial investment.

The US prison system is corrupt and abusive, hardly something to be defending with such scorn for the OP.

Trochu 08-14-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubby99ca (Post 4218193)
Nothing, maybe reread my post.

:sign0007:Good advice.

Red Bullets 08-21-2020 09:05 PM

I enjoyed all the comments about my reasoning. Oh wait, now I see this tonight about the same bank. The TD really knows how to manage their customers money.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...ce/ar-BB18ewSU

EZM 08-21-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4222751)
I enjoyed all the comments about my reasoning. Oh wait, now I see this tonight about the same bank. The TD really knows how to manage their customers money.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...ce/ar-BB18ewSU

Except, some of the people that gave you good advice here on this thread may just know a "thing or two" about banks and investments ....

Red Bullets 08-21-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4222758)
Except, some of the people that gave you good advice here on this thread may just know a "thing or two" about banks and investments ....

I'm sure there are many people that know more about investments than me. And a few that know more than TD. haha. I'm just cynical. Disregard my ramblings.

ESOXangler 08-21-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4222774)
I'm sure there are many people that know more about investments than me. And a few that know more than TD. haha. I'm just cynical. Disregard my ramblings.

Naw you're allowed to feel the way you do!

Dynamic 08-22-2020 06:19 AM

Best thing I did this year was move my investments from the generic bank RRSP plan to a self directed online account. It is a bit more work (a very small amount of work) but I have full control of where I invest. I’m still in some ETF’s that have their hand in everything but I also got money in companies I believe in and have done very well for me so far.

Jigsalot 08-22-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4218207)
I have no idea what your investment portfolio looks like but if you are making your decisions based on this kind of information I would strongly suggest you move to a GIC only investment plan. You won't do well in the stock market.

Lol. Wow. I guess you have been told
Thanks for posting the article Red. Interesting

Red Bullets 08-22-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4218207)

To me stock markets are too volatile and a foolish investment unless you are willing to wait for years. And I would never trust any bank with managing money. My mother trusted a bank and in a few years of them managing her portfolio she lost money, but I'm sure the banker made money with her funds.

I guess I better go to investing school Dean2. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I tried investing once a over a decade ago. I made 500% on the investment in 6 months. Was able to give my kids a nice bonus. Following certain things now, if I had money to invest now I would have doubled my investment in less than a year. But what do I know?

Dean2 08-22-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4222982)
To me stock markets are too volatile and a foolish investment unless you are willing to wait for years. And I would never trust any bank with managing money. My mother trusted a bank and in a few years of them managing her portfolio she lost money, but I'm sure the banker made money with her funds.

I guess I better go to investing school Dean2. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I tried investing once a over a decade ago. I made 500% on the investment in 6 months. Was able to give my kids a nice bonus. Following certain things now, if I had money to invest now I would have doubled my investment in less than a year. But what do I know?

Markets are too volatile and a foolish investment. You tried it once years ago and made 500% in 6 months. You are so well educated in investing that had you invested in the last 12 months you would have made 100%, but being so well versed in the market you didn't invest because they are obviously too volatile. Let me work on reconciling that deeply insightful analysis of your investing philosophy.

Red Bullets 08-22-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean2 (Post 4223011)
Markets are too volatile and a foolish investment. You tried it once years ago and made 500% in 6 months. You are so well educated in investing that had you invested in the last 12 months you would have made 100%, but being so well versed in the market you didn't invest because they are obviously too volatile. Let me work on reconciling that deeply insightful analysis of your investing philosophy.

Seems you don't like my posts because they challenge your ideas. Are you my brother in law the banker? :) :sLo_BigBearHug: *all in good fun eh.*

I didn't invest recently because I don't have the means since stopping work due to leukemia and health. And I never claimed to be so well educated. Probably more naďve than most. I've seen many friends loose money playing the markets. Some did ok but it was hit and miss. Only one guy I know did really good. He bought penny stocks in the 60's for 5 cents each and he cashed them out around 2000 for 2.50 bucks each. Otherwise, everything is a gamble.

I will be sure not to post or participate in such threads in the future. Don't need to be getting some guy's dander up or ruffle his chest feathers. Life is too short for that. And most people don't like thinking outside the box anyways.

I sincerely hope you do well with your investments Dean.

Trochu 08-22-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Bullets (Post 4223036)
........ playing the markets. ...... everything is a gamble.

I think that may be the issue. Investing is not "playing" or "gambling", if that's what someone is doing, it's not investing. If one uses the very loosest definition of the word, I suppose it could be, as nothing is guaranteed, but cash under the mattress is gambling as well then, as that's not guaranteed either.

Dean2 08-22-2020 01:40 PM

All good. Not actually ruffled and I shouldn't have picked on you specifically, sorry about that. As far as thinking outside the box, what I have found is there are so many outside the box thinkers that there is actually a lot of room now inside the box.:) The box exists for a very good reason, Amazon would be nothing without them.:sHa_shakeshout: