Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wild Pig Hunting In Alberta (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=164662)

Banker 01-20-2013 11:40 AM

Wild Pig Hunting In Alberta

Where can a person hunt wild pigs in Alberta? Do you need a licence to hunt them? I am having a problem getting any true fact information on this topic. Can anyone gave me some info on the wild pigs?

waterninja 01-20-2013 12:27 PM

i wish you luck in your research banker. i've been looking into wild boar hunting for 2 years and it is very difficult to get info. the best info came to from talking to fish and game officialls in different areas and also from county officials. once in awhile someone will post some pics. on this forum of a succesfull pig hunt but most of those happen when out coyote hunting. also locals that know where there might be some mostly keep the info. to themselves.
if you really want to get one try "hog wild" in mayerthorpe. not my cup of tea but people who have gone say they really enjoyed the experiance.

p.s. my brother is in hawaii right now and sent me a video of a wild boar. he's thinking of hunting for one there.

TheLegend 01-20-2013 10:20 PM

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/...ps87d8395f.jpg

Herleboy 01-20-2013 10:26 PM

There is also a place by battleford sask a little cheaper them
N mayerthorp, a guy can make a weekend out of it they have cabin rentals out there, I think they have 100acers to hunt.

Rickyb 01-28-2014 07:13 PM

Wild bore hunting

Hi every one. Ok where are the wild bore located. I thought I would start here. I'm located close to whitecourt. Or what would be the best way to find out where they are. Call fish and game, nock on a few land owners doors. Just really nobody is saying where. :sign0161:

flyguyd 01-28-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickyb (Post 2302038)
Hi every one. Ok where are the wild bore located. I thought I would start here. I'm located close to whitecourt. Or what would be the best way to find out where they are. Call fish and game, nock on a few land owners doors. Just really nobody is saying where. :sign0161:

They are apparently alot fewer in number than one would be led to believe and the ones that are there are a closely guarded secret.

Heck ,if i had a little honey hole of hogs, where i could shoot a couple a year, i wouldnt tell anybody either:thinking-006:

forgesmith 01-29-2014 10:14 AM

Google It up

Wild Boars In Canada
this site tracks locations of boar sightings and kills across Canada. Nicely put together and fairly new, might have to go to Saskatchewan though.
Cheers

not sure how to get the URL for you to link here

Blackwolf 01-29-2014 10:46 AM

yup checked on this some outfitter out by Sundre sells hunts on his "estate". He also offers Bison to kill.

Blackwolf 01-29-2014 10:56 AM

yup checked on this some outfitter out by Sundre sells hunts on his "estate". He also offers Bison to kill.

calgarychef 01-29-2014 06:11 PM

Wild boar

Think about this.. The deer can barely survive this winter, how would a pig? There just isn't enough quality food out there for pigs.

G.Barefooter 01-29-2014 06:39 PM

I love it in Texas. I just can't see it catching on here with all the idiot animal rights groups around. "oh - look what they did to that poor little piggy".

Running through the bush at night, following the dogs - that is sure an adrenaline rush

flyguyd 01-29-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgarychef (Post 2303299)
Think about this.. The deer can barely survive this winter, how would a pig? There just isn't enough quality food out there for pigs.

Pigs are way tougher than deer and will eat anything:thinking-006:

wannabe 01-29-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banker (Post 1810244)
Where can a person hunt wild pigs in Alberta? Do you need a licence to hunt them? I am having a problem getting any true fact information on this topic. Can anyone gave me some info on the wild pigs?

google will always be your friend
http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=KJVf3T1WuEg

A guy I work with, his friends went on a hunt. I believe it was with these guys, it was not like this though, it was a stalk through the bush. they said they were scared as heck and at one time the pig chased them.
It was a fenced in hunt but the guy has a lot of land and it was a lot of work.
So goes the story.

calgarychef 01-29-2014 09:22 PM

Pigs

Sure pigs will eat anything but they aren't ruminants and so its not easy for them to thrive in this climate.

Grizzly Adams 01-29-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguyd (Post 2303349)

2' of snow and their legs are a lot shorter. :D

Grizz

Matt L. 01-29-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguyd (Post 2303349)

True, but the winter will still put a check on them.

Dozer31 01-31-2014 10:00 AM

I think u need to know the right person. Everyone I talk to says they know someone who knows someone who's brothers sisters brother in-law shot a hog in Alberta. Good luck.

Grizzly Adams 01-31-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozer31 (Post 2305414)
I think u need to know the right person. Everyone I talk to says they know someone who knows someone who's brothers sisters brother in-law shot a hog in Alberta. Good luck.

Might be an Urban Legend, but I've heard tales of guys cutting fences on wild hog farms to release some.

Grizz

Kando 01-31-2014 10:48 AM

I have heard that Red Deer river flats have hogs in them and know about people harvesting hogs close to it...

Kando 01-31-2014 11:46 AM

If anyone is interested, I can line up Wild Bore hunts in Sweden.

Matt L. 01-31-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 2305430)
Might be an Urban Legend, but I've heard tales of guys cutting fences on wild hog farms to release some.

Grizz

It has happened in the past. The incident I know of was quite a few years ago now.

Elk Hunter17 01-31-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 2305430)

Grizz

My cousin owns hog wild and he has had his fence cut several times. He's also had people shoot pigs right in the pen. Last time I talked to him he said there was a lot if headaches to having these hogs

Stinky Buffalo 01-31-2014 02:07 PM

Back in the mid-80's I saw one standing in the ditch on Hwy 16, just outside of Entwistle. Had to do a double-take - Sure enough, that's what it was.

Only one I have seen here, though.

Kauna 01-31-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 2303569)
2' of snow and their legs are a lot shorter. :D

Grizz

exactly...don't go out and buy a dedicated HOG gun just yet ..lol..pigs lose here in Alberta ..take it or leave it

bat119 01-31-2014 04:43 PM

If you want to hunt hogs there's a place east of North Battleford, Redman or something like that, wild hog hunts archery or black powder. Some guys from work went there and shot a 350# hog. They also said it was a tough hunt in hilly bush, getting close enough for shot was very challenging.

Vacation 01-31-2014 05:15 PM

Yes, my brother lives in Batleford,. He has a friend with hogs on his land. had one bust out the snow last year and tusk him. He got it though. They taste good and sure are ornary.

shellpelt03 10-01-2014 06:44 AM

Hogs

I got my hog with a bow. Cypress Hills, that's all I'm saying, both the Alberta and Saskatchewan sides. Gotta protect my honey hole just a little. Best ribs, bacon and sausage ever.

shellpelt03 10-01-2014 06:56 AM

Big Boar

This is not necessarily accurate, as I know of areas where boar were taken, but not reported, or bounty collected, but it gives you a good idea where to look:

http://wildboarcanada.ca/index.php?f....i06aU05Q.dpbs

edmhunter 10-01-2014 07:21 AM

Was in Key West Fla last year. My buddy shot a wild hog there, we got drunk while shark fishing, then decided to eat some of his pig. Toughest meat I ever ate, wasnt really that good either. After a few chews I went back to drinking beer! :)

Grizzly Adams 10-01-2014 07:34 AM

Red Deer County just boasted there hasn't been a wild hog report there, since 2008. Gotta believe the minor infestations, at least around here, are done.

Grizz