Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vehicle insurance on Ice (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339794)

rayf01 02-21-2018 05:09 PM

Vehicle insurance on Ice

Has anyone actually confirmed with their insurance company if they have coverage that would cover a vehicle going though the ice?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dweb 02-21-2018 05:21 PM

An old roommate of mine works for intact in Calgary and he said .....no .... Lol

RavYak 02-21-2018 05:48 PM

This has been talked about numerous times. Every insurer handles things differently so speak with your insurance and get the details in writing.

I believe many do cover you unless there are signs at the lake saying danger thin ice etc.

jpohlic 02-21-2018 05:49 PM

I've asked my broker this and yes, my truck is covered.

TROLLER 02-21-2018 06:12 PM

I found out from mine that yes you are covered but they will not pay for the recovery or any fines attached to you going through.

Jawjacker 02-21-2018 08:20 PM

I have an all risk policy. I have triple checked with my insurance company . I am totally covered if my vehicle goes through the ice. The only exclusion is if there is a sign at the lake that says "THIN ICE" ,then its considered malicious.

Half Pickereled 02-21-2018 09:21 PM

Not only is my vehicle covered, I found out my shack and contents is covered under my home insurance (Allstate) It’s consided an out building even if it was halfway across Canada. I asked how much it was covered for, I was told x$, which works out to about 5% of my home value. This covers contents as well. The only catch is , I have to move it every 30 days. Which who doesn’t right? Lol

DOGFISH 02-22-2018 08:03 AM

I talked with my broker and I am covered as long as I do not break any laws, example thin ice signs etc. They stressed the words as I do not do anything illegal I will be looked after . I trust them as they are good friends of ours. Not every policy has this coverage. Dogfish

rayf01 02-22-2018 10:24 AM

What insurance companies are stating "yes"?

I've been told by a few that the Alberta insurance under writers, or something to that nature, are all the same for every insurance company so technically no one would cover it. That doesn't make sense to me.

ATF 02-22-2018 10:31 AM

I've got it in writing from Meloche that I'm covered.

Dave P 02-22-2018 10:35 AM

Been in insurance a long time now.

Every policy is different, but typically the rule to go by with insurance is that if it is not specifically excluded, its included. Read your policy, question the brokers. It is what they are there for!

Jawjacker 02-22-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayf01 (Post 3737202)
What insurance companies are stating "yes"?

I've been told by a few that the Alberta insurance under writers, or something to that nature, are all the same for every insurance company so technically no one would cover it. That doesn't make sense to me.

Insurance co-Unifund.
brokers - Johnsons

hightower 02-22-2018 01:32 PM

Sunk one back in the day and it got paid out

223MB 02-22-2018 02:24 PM

I’m fully covered for vehicle replacement, and recovery costs. My coverage is void if there was a ice condition warning where I access the lake.

mooseknuckle 02-22-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 223MB (Post 3737325)
I’m fully covered for vehicle replacement, and recovery costs. My coverage is void if there was a ice condition warning where I access the lake.

Same here. Made sure to get in writing, as indo alot of ice fishing.

Western general insurance.

223MB 02-22-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseknuckle (Post 3737372)
Same here. Made sure to get in writing, as indo alot of ice fishing.

Western general insurance.

Have mine in writing as well, Johnson’s insurance.

pikester 02-23-2018 05:01 PM

I'm insured through Economical & they have told me I am covered for loss & recovery on ice, HOWEVER they won't cover any environmental fees or clean up charges which I have heard can be as much as vehicle loss & recovery fees so...

Tigger72 02-25-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATF (Post 3737205)
I've got it in writing from Meloche that I'm covered.

How did you go about getting it in writing from Meloche... Im with them and asked to have it in writing and was told to just get a copy of my policy...
smh and totally avoided the question...

ATF 02-25-2018 04:20 PM

Nothing special when I got it.
Talked to one of their reps. Asked a few questions about how it worked , recovery costs etc.. They said it was covered and considered a collision with the ice. Asked if I could get something to that effect faxed to me and they did.
I always note the time, date and who I talk to also for the record as well.

Tigger72 02-25-2018 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATF (Post 3739420)
Nothing special when I got it.
Talked to one of their reps. Asked a few questions about how it worked , recovery costs etc.. They said it was covered and considered a collision with the ice. Asked if I could get something to that effect faxed to me and they did.
I always note the time, date and who I talk to also for the record as well.

Good to know...thank you! I will try this tomorrow!!

fisheye1 02-27-2018 08:15 AM

What about everyones LIFE INSURANCE is it up to date. lol

DiabeticKripple 02-27-2018 08:43 AM

Aviva covers under comprehensive as well. I have it in writing from my broker.

MathewsArcher 03-01-2018 01:24 PM

First hand knowledge, found out mine was covered as was recovery which was pretty expensive. City Wide Towing (Calgary) handled the recovery and was hired by the insurance company. Vehicle was written off quickly and fairly RBC Insurance.

No fines, environmental fees etc. were ever assessed.

fish99 03-02-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathewsArcher (Post 3742319)
First hand knowledge, found out mine was covered as was recovery which was pretty expensive. City Wide Towing (Calgary) handled the recovery and was hired by the insurance company. Vehicle was written off quickly and fairly RBC Insurance.

No fines, environmental fees etc. were ever assessed.

which lake ?