Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Star Lake (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=15375)

mackpup 05-13-2008 10:03 PM

Star Lake

WTF?..............I have brought my pontoon boat out to star now for three days straight for a couple hours each night and have caught nothing. Everyone on shore has caught nothing. I was out on Sunday and there was 5 other in pontoon boats fly fishing and they caught nothing. What the hell?

Dr. Fish 05-13-2008 10:12 PM

Personally I'd go somewhere else.:evilgrin:

redneck posse 05-14-2008 06:43 AM

star winter kills most years wait untill they stock it again after may long. try hasse nice trout in it. so i've been told.

Morph1 05-14-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

WTF?..............I have brought my pontoon boat out to star now for three days straight for a couple hours each night and have caught nothing.
LOL, there was no winter kill dude, the fish are just feeding on something different than your presentation, same thing I experienced at East Pit lake last weekend, till we eventually caught one and pumped it's gut, it was feeding from the bottom on some weird aquatic insect I forget the name as I am not a fly fishing expert, during that afternoon there was chironomid hatch that's when we started to get hits.
Other than that the morning was a waste of time as we got to the lake at 5:45 am, same thing at Chikakoo also zero bites...
From now on it wil just get better and better.

Quote:

star winter kills most years wait untill they stock it again after may long. try hasse nice trout in it. so i've been told.
well to that I just can not agree as last fall I caught a 25" bow from Star weghing close to 7 LBS,
you don't think fish like that can develop to that size in under 1 year after being stocked...,
I bet that bow was living in that lake for more than 5 seasons.
there maybe some partial winter kill at a small precentage some winters...,
but I think it happens rarely.
Well who knows maybe they stock Star with a 25" bows :)

Cheers !

wildman 05-14-2008 10:42 AM

!!!

i don't think star's winter-killed in many years.
I've seen trout to 9 lbs there.
i heard it was on fire at last ice.
could be it's started to turn.
if the water looks murked it's probably what's happened.
that usually kills to bite for a week or two.
good luck if you try again. gw

redneck posse 05-14-2008 05:40 PM

thats good to know. i've been told by a few people that star winter kills almost every year. nice to know that it don't. may head out there this weekend.

Doc 05-14-2008 11:20 PM

I can't remember the last time Star winterkilled. Chickakoo however does winterkill most years, maybe you're thinking of it.

I was on Star tonight and caught five trout between 15 & 18 inches as well as loosing three. Chironomid, scud and leech patterns were the ticket. Pumped the throat of one trout and he was full of lake lint (tiny suds like size 52's :rolleye2: )

Cheers,
Doc

Paul C 06-28-2009 04:02 PM

Star Lake

The best time to fish star lake is 3:30 in the morning. The fish are eating chub minnows, leeches. I like to ultra-lite fish. The lighter the line the better the fishing especially using flurorcarbon line. I lost large fish at star on saturday bottom fishing. It also helps to use small hook, #14 and cover the hook so the fish does not see it.

Happy Fishing:D:D:D:D:evilgrin: