Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Highway Pet Peeves (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=151575)

tri777 10-08-2012 09:31 AM

Highway Pet Peeves

1. Tailgatters, even when i move right, 99% refuse to pass(btw i always travel at 109km/hr, just fast enough not to get tickets,& i only pull to the right when it IS safe to pass too),even my dog gets real close to the back truck window because the 2sec rule becomes .5sec rule/distance.

2. Those eye killing HID-type headlights,'hey just because you want to see better do you really have to blind me'?
I'm to the point where temptation is leading me to put on my brights and not change to low to show how it feels,do i have to wear sunglasses,those lights give me a headache when night driving,wish they would become illegal!

Just wondering what drives you batty while sharing the road with others out there?

Mickey 10-08-2012 09:33 AM

People that think that because they are driving under the speed limit, that they are being safe.

I am of the opinion that they are exactly the opposite.

They cause a ton of back ups on the highway and then it leads to a different breed of idiots doing dumber things like passing blindly uphill and on double solids.

elkhunter11 10-08-2012 09:35 AM

Driving Highway 63 it's a draw between the idiots on their cellphones,that are constantly changing their speed, and the huge modules that are traveling down the road. Both cause congestion and both make the highway less safe for the other drivers. Obviously many people could care less about the distracted driver laws.

tri777 10-08-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey (Post 1638911)
People that think that because they are driving under the speed limit, that they are being safe.

They cause a ton of back ups on the highway and then it leads to a different breed of idiots doing dumber things like passing blindly uphill and on double solids.

Just the other day a truck refused to go over 85km creating a train of cars
behind me in a 100km zone,no passing permitted,so we all had to wait until the road lanes opened up. I looked at the fool as i passed him as to ask 'wth is the issue',his none compliance look slightly angered me further,at least give a gesture of a sort.

FishingFrenzy 10-08-2012 09:37 AM

People driving the speed limit in the fast (left) lane...:argue2:

Farmers that are going down the highway for a long strech in their tractor/combine/whatever DURING RUSHOUR, and won't pull over to let traffic by.

People that dont turn their highbeams off until they are 20 feet from you.

Anybody that drives below the speed limit under ideal conditions :sign0176:

tri777 10-08-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy (Post 1638921)
People that dont turn their highbeams off until they are 20 feet from you.

This one really gets me for this reason, i purposely leave my highbeams on JUST for a fraction of a nano second to show the oncoming driver "see,i just put my low's on for you and i know you just seen it",
then he still resumes coming at me with his dam highbeams on still! this really gets me this act of dumbness.

Rod1960 10-08-2012 09:45 AM

People who ignore the lane closure/merge sign then rush to the end of that lane and expect to be let in. Always cheers me up a little when the other drivers band together and won't let said idiots in.

Typical 10-08-2012 09:45 AM

I don't understand something why would a farmer be allowed to travel on a hyw with a tractor or combine without a plate and insurance ? And what about the people with quads, they have insurance and a plate and are not allowed to travel on a hyw or roads.

They say that is a off hyw vehicle well what about a combine ?

YeeHaw 10-08-2012 09:49 AM

I agree with the blinding headlights, idiots on there cell phones, people driving a km over the speed limit in the fast lane, but the biggest is the R tards that do not slow down for emergency vehicles, including tow trucks. I lost count of how many close calls I have had trying to change a drivers side tire, or hook up a disabled car while people are flying by be doing mach chicken two feet away from where im working
:sign0176:

tri777 10-08-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elkhunter11 (Post 1638916)
Driving Highway 63 it's a draw between the idiots on their cellphones,that are constantly changing their speed, and the huge modules that are traveling down the road. Both cause congestion and both make the highway less safe for the other drivers. Obviously many people could care less about the distracted driver laws.

To me this could be fixed this hwy63 thing, this is a 'cop refusal to work this hwy 63' for some reason. You put 5 daily patrols cars out there PER DAY for 2months straight and no construction needed(just a donut shop)
AND
people caught going over 130km/hr for a 3rd time=loss of car-impounded immediatly-cab ride(at his expense) home mandatory,no one allowed to pick you up!!
This rule would only apply to hwy63
Conclusion= Road fixed!

score 10-08-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey (Post 1638911)

x2 that this leads to a different breed of idiots. And just speed. People drive way to fast today everywhere.

hillbillyreefer 10-08-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typical (Post 1638932)
I don't understand something why would a farmer be allowed to travel on a hyw with a tractor or combine without a plate and insurance ? And what about the people with quads, they have insurance and a plate and are not allowed to travel on a hyw or roads.

They say that is a off hyw vehicle well what about a combine ?

Has it ever seriously been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being?

Farmers I know have at least $2million of liability insurance most have $5 million. That covers us. How about the PL & PD on your 82 civic hatchback how much liability is on the one?

PAPERS PLEASE!

Maverick29 10-08-2012 10:00 AM

Agree x 100 , yet people still let them in. , don't understand. People play dumb when they see lane closure

leo 10-08-2012 10:05 AM

People that don't use cruise control on the highway. I can't stand people that go from 110 to 85 in a 1 km stretch of road. Use the damn button, you don't have to break the speed limit, just maintain a steady speed. :sign0176:

tri777 10-08-2012 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;1638944]Has it ever been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being.
[QUOTE]

As a matter of fact the hwy i live has this very issue a few times a year/spring/aug.
And 'why do we allow city people on country roads'? For this sole reason,city folks on country roads ARE going with the flow of the traffic format,combines are not. When suddenly presented with a 15km/hr combine doing 100km/hr after a small grade hill,you too will find yourseld punching the brakes and stating;
"this doesn't make for a good or safe fit on a hwy". Having someone die because they have $liability$ is a tad unempathedic.

elkhunter11 10-08-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

To me this could be fixed this hwy63 thing, this is a 'cop refusal to work this hwy 63' for some reason. You put 5 daily patrols cars out there PER DAY for 2months straight and no construction needed(just a donut shop)
AND
people caught going over 130km/hr for a 3rd time=loss of car-impounded immediatly-cab ride(at his expense) home mandatory,no one allowed to pick you up!!
This rule would only apply to hwy63
Conclusion= Road fixed!
The sheriffs and RCMP are handing out plenty of tickets, and making a lot of cash doing it, but from what I have observed,it hasn't made a huge dent on traffic behavior.

You would still need to deal with the loads that are being allowed on the highway. Some components must be manufactured in far away locations, so some large loads are necessary, but 90% or more are just piping and decking that could be built locally. Getting those 90% off of the road will make the road safer.

Fishnafterwork 10-08-2012 10:17 AM

I have a really big van.... & for some reason every person on the road sees my truck in front of them and instantly thinks "oh man, I've got to get ahead of this big truck".....
So it doesn't matter what speed I'm going even if it's 130-140 I'm consistently playing leap frog with stupid drivers who race ahead of me, cut in front of me, then drop their speed wayyyyy down. ..!!!!!

PICK A SPEED....& stay there!!! I wouldn't tailgate you if you stayed at a constant speed!

MK2750 10-08-2012 10:18 AM

You go to pass someone on a divided two lane. He is going 110kph yet you are up beside him and he speeds up to 125kph. The faster you go the faster they go.:angry3:

Also the people that pass and then you have to slow down for them when they are in front of you.:mad0030:

Fishnafterwork 10-08-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo (Post 1638960)
people that don't use cruise control on the highway. I can't stand people that go from 110 to 85 in a 1 km stretch of road. Use the damn button, you don't have to break the speed limit, just maintain a steady speed. :sign0176:

exactly!!!!!!! X100

Ken07AOVette 10-08-2012 10:20 AM

MORONS on the road that;

speed
tailgate
cut off after passing (so the radar wont get them from behind)
do the slalom course on the highway
pass in the same lane almost hitting you
pass when unsafe to do so
have improperly aimed lights
roar past then slam on the brakes in front, repeat all day long
drive and drink, shave, makeup, TEXT, read

I don't care if you speed, go for broke but if your speeding causes issues with me we have a problem. Do not be honking, flashing lights and screaming at your windshield just because I will not pass the semi to the right of me any faster, leave earlier to get to Tim Hortons.

big zeke 10-08-2012 10:27 AM

more doorknobs than doors

-texters and cellphone users that are driving both on the highway (a bit annoying) and in heavy traffic (very, very dangerous). I wish there was some symbol (other than the finger) and I could flash at them to get them to stop doing this.
-tailgaters...I usually pump the brakes lightly to give them the hint, about half of them get it.
-heavy trucks that drive like pigs...I've always believed that fines for trucks over a certain GVW should be double what they are for smaller vehicles...they can cause a lot more harm when they screw up.

Still better than walking, some days

Zeke

riden 10-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer (Post 1638944)
Has it ever seriously been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being?

Farmers I know have at least $2million of liability insurance most have $5 million. That covers us. How about the PL & PD on your 82 civic hatchback how much liability is on the one?

PAPERS PLEASE!

I live in farm country and have no issue with farmers.

It really pizzes me off though when they put the 10 year old on the machinery to drive it home and I end up in the ditch because he doesn't move over. That's just stupid and happens way too much. I don't know how liability insurance applies to them, I assume it doesn't.

Plus the azzholes that think because they are driving a grain truck or combine rules don't apply to them. I can't count how many times I have been cut off on gravel roads because they guy in the grain truck doesn't think he has to stop at the stop sign cause he's working.

That said, all my neighbors have my back

hillbillyreefer 10-08-2012 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=tri777;1638964][QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;1638944]Has it ever been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being.
Quote:

As a matter of fact the hwy i live has this very issue a few times a year/spring/aug.
And 'why do we allow city people on country roads'? For this sole reason,city folks on country roads ARE going with the flow of the traffic format,combines are not. When suddenly presented with a 15km/hr combine doing 100km/hr after a small grade hill,you too will find yourseld punching the brakes and stating;
"this doesn't make for a good or safe fit on a hwy". Having someone die because they have $liability$ is a tad unempathedic.
Idiots hitting farm equipment isn't the farmers fault, any more than you being a hunter means you are responsible for poaching. Come on. What are these issues, post a few examples if you would please. I enjoy slapping down straw man arguements.

OK, we have established that insurance isn't an issue, now please explain how having an itty bitty license plate on a massive combine or tractor is going to prevent a moron from running into it. Most farm equipment is a minimum of 2m wide by 3m tall with flashing lights, I'm sorry but if you can't see that you shouldn't be allowed on the road. It isn't the farmers fault you are stupid.

fishaddict 10-08-2012 10:37 AM

Idiots hitting farm equipment isn't the farmers fault, any more than you being a hunter means you are responsible for poaching. Come on. What are these issues, post a few examples if you would please. I enjoy slapping down straw man arguements.

OK, we have established that insurance isn't an issue, now please explain how having an itty bitty license plate on a massive combine or tractor is going to prevent a moron from running into it. Most farm equipment is a minimum of 2m wide by 3m tall with flashing lights, I'm sorry but if you can't see that you shouldn't be allowed on the road. It isn't the farmers fault you are stupid.[/QUOTE]

X2

Ken07AOVette 10-08-2012 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;1638996][QUOTE=tri777;1638964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer (Post 1638944)
Has it ever been a problem? Why do we allow city people to drive on country roads where they have no business being.

Most farm equipment is a minimum of 2m wide by 3m tall with flashing lights, I'm sorry but if you can't see that you shouldn't be allowed on the road. It isn't the farmers fault you are stupid.

I have seen farmers all bleary eyed and asleep running equipment down the road without any attention, and run people off into the ditch. I have seen people in vehicles do that too, but that isnt the topic.

I have personally been run off the road into the ditch twice, by the same family actually, when they did not stop for stop signs and blew across in front of me.

'Driving along, there is ******* pulling up to the stop sign, surely he sees me, I am close, no he didn't stop *slam on the brakes*...weeds.' :sign0176:

No one likes being pigeon holed, but not ALL farmers just like not all licensed drivers are alert and awake 100% of the time.

There are many arrogant farmers that will not pull over at all, even on a flat ditch, they expect everyone else to go around. We have all seen it, well anyone that ventures out of the city anyway.

Canadiandiesel 10-08-2012 10:40 AM

For me it's the driving too slow, speed up to the normal highway speed, you become a obstacle for even the drivers doing speed limit, bloody dangerous,

Why are city folk on back gravel roads? Shouldn't be there unless there are going to someone's house in a holiday, they can't drive on gravel, so they either go way to fast or crawling speed which are both not needed

And for combines or tractors on the roads, Erm do you not look atleast a mile down the road? Ya know there usually big with a slow moving sign on and flashing amber lights? Oh look a farmer I should slow down and plan how I get around him/her safely
, logics ya know

riden 10-08-2012 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Ken07AOVette;1639012][QUOTE=hillbillyreefer;1638996]
Quote:

Originally Posted by tri777 (Post 1638964)

I have personally been run off the road into the ditch twice, by the same family actually, when they did not stop for stop signs and blew across in front of me.

So it's not just me!

That mentality does bug me, especially because I have my two daughters driving now. Teens just don't think the same way we do about this.

On narrow roads I will just put my PU in the ditch early and let the farmer be, but wifey or my girls shouldn't have to do that with the Rav.

Dacotensis 10-08-2012 10:46 AM

Road Rules

I seem to recall something in the TSA or maybe it was the old act that stated you MUST yield right of way to slow moving farm machinery when they are displaying their slow moving sign.

I regulary haul heavy loads. I like to leave space when I'm approaching lights and I like to leave room btwn me and all vehicles, all the time.
Those ppl who see that space and dart in then hammer on the brakes for the red light? Yea, those guys need a bumper up their tailpipe.

hillbillyreefer 10-08-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riden (Post 1638994)
I live in farm country and have no issue with farmers.

It really pizzes me off though when they put the 10 year old on the machinery to drive it home and I end up in the ditch because he doesn't move over. That's just stupid and happens way too much. I don't know how liability insurance applies to them, I assume it doesn't.

Plus the azzholes that think because they are driving a grain truck or combine rules don't apply to them. I can't count how many times I have been cut off on gravel roads because they guy in the grain truck doesn't think he has to stop at the stop sign cause he's working.

That said, all my neighbors have my back

So report them.

It still doesn't explain how a license plate will keep morons from running into farm equipment, or farmers from doing stupid stuff. I had the misfortune yesterday to be in a city, yup, all perfect drivers, never saw anything that wasn't legal, stupid or otherwise. Way to go city folks your tops in my books. Wait until November when you are all out running me off the road because you are gawking into my pasture with cattle, wondering how you can shoot that deer, and get it out without permission. Can't wait.

jhl 10-08-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 1638984)
MORONS on the road that;

speed
tailgate
cut off after passing (so the radar wont get them from behind)
do the slalom course on the highway
pass in the same lane almost hitting you
pass when unsafe to do so
have improperly aimed lights
roar past then slam on the brakes in front, repeat all day long
drive and drink, shave, makeup, TEXT, read

I don't care if you speed, go for broke but if your speeding causes issues with me we have a problem. Do not be honking, flashing lights and screaming at your windshield just because I will not pass the semi to the right of me any faster, leave earlier to get to Tim Hortons.

X-10 maximum speed is posted not 10-40 faster for a reason, if you have to go faster lobby the government to raise the limit. and good luck with that.