Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   fence post removal help (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=382393)

jigs 05-30-2020 05:15 PM

fence post removal help

I am removing a fence in my yard and have removed all the 4x4 treated posts except the last 3. They seem to be cemented in and wont budge.

I removed most posts with a quad and winch line and the tougher ones with a chain and jack-all. I can't budge the last 3.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than digging out the cement?

Thank you

fordtruckin 05-30-2020 05:21 PM

Know anyone with a bobcat to be able to pull straight up on them rather than from the side?

liar 05-30-2020 05:26 PM

If you have access to some pipe you can build an upside down V . Connect the post to the v and put the two " legs " on the ground so that it will be at about a 45 degree angle . Go from the v to the tow vehicle . As you pull away i will lift up on the post. Does that make sense ? Sometime i dont explain myself very well .

fishtank 05-30-2020 06:06 PM

2 floor jack might work to get it strait up naile a 2x4 each side of the post ( try to nailed as low as you can on the post) and jack away on both sides

or like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LGsdaxrPj8

Cooeylover 05-30-2020 06:41 PM

Pressure washer

Use a pressure washer, with a long steel wand on a gun, start it up, drill down the side and shove it down as far as it will go. Pump the underground full of water and do it to both sides. It will make a cavity and loosen up the stake so you can pull it out easier.
We done this with a bunch of screw in piling a that was in the ground for a lot of years, and then our little auger truck twisted them right out.

CaberTosser 05-30-2020 06:47 PM

I used an engine hoist to pull some before, I just had to put some lumber under the wheels to keep them from sinking into the soil.

The improvised hydrovac may help, or digging just one side of it with a post hole digger to give you a direction to pull it over and loosen it up.

Pioneer2 05-30-2020 06:58 PM

easy

Wrap a chain around the post and fasten the links with a big lag screw.Put the lip of a jack-all under the chain an it will lift right out.Remove and use on the other posts.

EZM 05-30-2020 07:03 PM

These are all good idea - had a few stubborn ones I ended up putting a 4x4 cross bolted on and using a couple bottle jacks. A little bit of work to set up but it came up much easier - the bobcat couldn't lift them up, tried a straight jack and it couldn't do it - but hydraulic bottle jacks will move it pretty easy.

I wanted them to come straight up so I could replace the post and not have a ugly hole - otherwise I would have wiggled and dug at it - which may be an option if you are not replacing the post.

You could also hammer drill (chisel tip) at it on a few sides to break it loose too.

huntinstuff 05-30-2020 08:52 PM

call 1899b

He could yank it outta there by hand

Just make sure you have 6 skinless chicken breasts on the bbq ready and a spinach salad for 4 .....

calgarychef 05-30-2020 08:58 PM

I had some like that. I but some 1/2 inch copper pipe on the end of the garden hose and stuck it down beside the post for 5. Inured with the water running.

It eroded the dirt around it and pulled out slick as snot.

starvin 05-30-2020 09:36 PM

Chainsaw

fed 05-30-2020 10:37 PM

You said you have a jack-all. Put it beside it on a block of wood and chain it to the post. Should be able to lift it out.just reread and seen you tried this. I’d say put the jack all at a 45/ angle and try again. You might have been pulling against the cement

MountainTi 05-30-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fed (Post 4178975)
You said you have a jack-all. Put it beside it on a block of wood and chain it to the post. Should be able to lift it out.

If a jack-all doesn't pull it out, it probably isn't coming out

OL_JR 05-30-2020 10:41 PM

Do your new fence posts (if you are putting them in) have to go in the old posts spot? If not just cut them off flush with a chainsaw and carry on.

If you absolutely must remove them there are some great suggestions here but I also think just getting down to business and digging them out isn't going to be near as bad as it seems to be. It's the old work harder or work smarter thing but in this case working harder will probably save you some time. If they are actually cemented in once you spend the minutes removing the soil above the cement and use the mecanical advantage of the posts to loosen them they will come.

fed 05-30-2020 10:49 PM

I actually remember removing some post I couldn’t get out. I had access to a tow truck and just put boom out and pulled them with the winches

pikeslayer22 05-31-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainTi (Post 4178976)
If a jack-all doesn't pull it out, it probably isn't coming out

This^^^^^^

1899b 05-31-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4178940)
call 1899b

Just make sure you have 6 skinless chicken breasts on the bbq ready and a spinach salad for 4 .....

HA!!!!!! Lol

amosfella 05-31-2020 10:27 AM

Get a few heavy long lag screws and a strong 4x4 at least 6 feet long. Screw the lag screws into the post you're removing at a suitable height for the 4x4 and the jack to clear. Place the 4x4 so that there's about 18" on the side which you intend to jack, place your jack about 15" away from the post. Start jacking. You would probably be wise to have some 2x10s under the jack and the end of the timber that would be on the ground.

If you ask around rail yards, you should be able to come up with some nice oak timber for jacking on.

You can also use a chain with that method instead of lag screws.

Big Grey Wolf 05-31-2020 10:33 AM

I agree with starvin, take chain saw cut it off at ground level and leave it to rest in its ground grave. Offset next post.

buckman 05-31-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf (Post 4179124)
I agree with starvin, take chain saw cut it off at ground level and leave it to rest in its ground grave. Offset next post.

Easiest way for sure.

HalfBreed 05-31-2020 06:37 PM

Totems

thumper 05-31-2020 09:24 PM

IF you have a heavy wooden spool around, just wrap a chain around the base of the post, roll the spool right up to the post, drape the chain over the spool and then to your truck hitch - and drive slowly away. The chain will be pulling almost straight up.

calgarychef 06-01-2020 05:21 AM

Seriously try the water trick I listed above... it works.

pa_of_6 06-01-2020 09:21 AM

If price is no object... hire one of the big butted cranes to come in... something with 100 ton capCity!!!!

It will slip out of there like a glazed penis!!!!

But if you have a budget...
spit on it!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken07AOVette 06-01-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4178940)
call 1899b

Won't work, he just left the gym and is on the way to the gym, after that he has to go to the gym. Day is booked lol

coyotecaller 06-01-2020 11:16 AM

My dad taught us a trick years ago for pulling posts. He would wrap a chain around the bottom of the post as close as he could to the ground. Then he'd get a barrel and place it as close to the post as possible. He'd run the chain over the barrel and pull with a pickup truck or tractor straight back. Pop posts like a bugger!

1899b 06-01-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette (Post 4179627)
Won't work, he just left the gym and is on the way to the gym, after that he has to go to the gym. Day is booked lol

Gyms been closed for an awful long time now!
What’s that Toby Keith song?? “I’m not as good as I once was....”. :bad_boys_20:

huntinstuff 06-01-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1899b (Post 4179867)
Gyms been closed for an awful long time now!
What’s that Toby Keith song?? “I’m not as good as I once was....”. :bad_boys_20:

Muscle atrophy

My partner carries me to the car, kisses my cheek and off i go to work

Cant wait for phase 3 to open up the gym

wildwoods 06-01-2020 07:35 PM

Cut them off. Simple. Bury the ends with topsoil and plant your grass. Easy peasy

roper1 06-01-2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntinstuff (Post 4179869)
Muscle atrophy

My partner carries me to the car, kisses my cheek and off i go to work

Cant wait for phase 3 to open up the gym

Dang, my take-away is that you shave.........:)