Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "The Unraveling of America" (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=385916)

Selkirk 08-10-2020 10:33 AM

"The Unraveling of America"

A recent timely article from RollingStone, written by a Canadian Anthropologist ➡ https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...davis-1038206/

One of a number of good quotes from the article:
"Those who flock to beaches, bars, and political rallies, putting their fellow citizens at risk, are not exercising freedom; they are displaying, as one commentator has noted, the weakness of a people who lack both the stoicism to endure the pandemic and the fortitude to defeat it."

I for one, hope the author is wrong ... and they won't continue to 'Unravel'. But having lived down there for 12+ years in my younger days, I don't think the USofA has been so divided, and in such disarray & polarised, since the days of the Vietnam War.

And it continues to get worse ... Sad.

Selkirk

lmtada 08-10-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkirk (Post 4216149)
A recent timely article from RollingStone, written by a Canadian Anthropologist ➡ https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...davis-1038206/

"Those who flock to beaches, bars, and political rallies, putting their fellow citizens at risk, are not exercising freedom; they are displaying, as one commentator has noted, the weakness of a people who lack both the stoicism to endure the pandemic and the fortitude to defeat it."

I for one, hope the author is wrong ... and they won't continue to 'Unravel'. But having lived down there for 12+ years in my younger days, I don't think the USofA has been so divided, and in such disarray & polarised, since the days of the Vietnam War.

Selkirk

This same rolling stone, that put Justin Trudeau on a pedestal. Said Canada 🇨🇦 next great leader? How wrong the Stone is. Opinions don’t matter.

ward 08-10-2020 11:59 AM

I wonder if the author would suggest that the average Canadian has any more stoicism or fortitude. I would suggest we do not.

Talking moose 08-10-2020 12:15 PM

Left wing rag.

elkhunter11 08-10-2020 01:12 PM

You could substitute Canada for the USA, only here the PM was actually participating in protests, while ignoring social distancing

Twisted Canuck 08-10-2020 01:17 PM

What pandemic are they needing stoicism to endure again?

sjemac 08-10-2020 03:03 PM

They'll have their second civil war in less than 10 years.

molly 08-10-2020 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Selkirk. There are a handful of us on here who would agree with the author.

Grizzly Adams 08-10-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjemac (Post 4216280)
They'll have their second civil war in less than 10 years.

My bet is, after November. :D

Grizz

Bigwoodsman 08-10-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmtada (Post 4216194)
This same rolling stone, that put Justin Trudeau on a pedestal. Said Canada 🇨🇦 next great leader? How wrong the Stone is. Opinions don’t matter.

You know what they say about opinions?

BW

Selkirk 08-10-2020 05:17 PM

... Think Again ❗

Quote:

Originally Posted by ward (Post 4216197)

I wonder if the author would suggest that the average Canadian has any more stoicism or fortitude. I would suggest we do not.

At least at present, I would suggest we 'Do'

As a good example, look at the COVID-19 stats for both countries, on a 'Per Capita' basis (i.e. # of cases per capita / # in hospital per capita / # of deaths per capita). Canada has one of the best COVID-19 stats in the world ... while the USofA has, by far, the Worst stats in the world.

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk

Osky 08-10-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkirk (Post 4216360)

As a good example, look at the COVID-19 stats for both countries, on a 'Per Capita' basis (i.e. # of cases per capita / # in hospital per capita / # of deaths per capita). Canada has one of the best COVID-19 stats in the world ... while the USofA has, by far, the Worst stats in the world.

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk

Source?
According to Statistica deaths per million:
Belgium. 864.29
Uniyted Kingdome 700.48
Peru 658.72
Spain 610.03
Italy. 582.56
Sweden. 565.93
Chile. 538.04
USA. 479.12

And so on......

Osky

Go figure

elkhunter11 08-10-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selkirk (Post 4216360)

Go Figure . . .

Selkirk

The USA has nine times our population density, so obviously the odds of exposure are much higher. If we had as many large cites as the USA, our stats would likely be just as bad.

And our own idiot PM was out participating in protests, and many Canadians still support the fool.

The Cook 08-10-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Selkirk

Great article but it must be read completely. Strap in for a wild ride just around the corner.

Osky 08-10-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Selkirk

Victor Hanson Davis has a book out you may find very interesting.
It is called “Mexifornia”

It goes into incredible detail on the fast downward spiral of this country. It serves as a warning to you good people as well.

Osky

The Cook 08-10-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Selkirk

Great article but it must be read completely. Strap in for a wild ride just around the corner.

dth_ 08-10-2020 06:47 PM

LOL at another left wing, woke culture echo chamber like rolling stone whining that people need to be more stoic of all things. The irony is laughable.

nelsonob1 08-10-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams (Post 4216300)
My bet is, after November. :D

Grizz

X2