Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Fishing Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Perch bonking (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312951)

Sundancefisher 01-20-2017 03:33 PM

Perch bonking

I feel like bonking a hundred perch this weekend. The wildlife rehabilitation place only wants perch starting in May so anyone that wants them can take them home. Hope the weather holds out.

Steve51 01-20-2017 03:47 PM

Where is this?

BStillie58 01-20-2017 04:07 PM

I'm free Sunday! . I had a blast out there with you guys last time!

the local angler 01-20-2017 04:24 PM

i maybe up for it again.

Sundancefisher 01-20-2017 04:48 PM

BradS is banned. He caught more than me and hurt my feelings. Dam ungrateful kid. Doesn't he know his elders have feelings?

Actually very impressed with everyone last weekend. Brad however was dialled in. He fished like he was in a quick draw gun fight. Entertaining to watch.

the local angler 01-20-2017 05:02 PM

yup his punishment if he comes is he gets to clean all of the perch for us lol. what time are you thinking? send me a pm

BStillie58 01-20-2017 05:03 PM

:P I'll bring donuts hahaha .

Oh it was such a blast I wish I had a underwater camera!!

It's nice to meet new people especially when it revolves around fishing.

gulfman 01-20-2017 05:22 PM

How many you figure you caught last time out?

the local angler 01-20-2017 05:28 PM

sat = 400+ 4 people , sun = 160 ish 3 people

Sundancefisher 01-20-2017 06:04 PM

Drop me PM. Gotta work in my shower this weekend. Likely 10 am may bonk perchies

Brandonkop 01-20-2017 06:22 PM

sure would be nice if you could catch those and dump them live into depleted lakes.

Sundancefisher 01-20-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonkop (Post 3448630)
sure would be nice if you could catch those and dump them live into depleted lakes.

If there were winterkill ponds we could keep em stocked all summer and let them get ice fished out in the winter or winterkilled.

However...likely issues for F&W

waterninja 01-20-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been roasted on this thread for even suggesting such an illegal activity. By the way I agree that it might be a good idea.
I have to wonder, however, that once perch have "stunted" for a certain amount of time if it is now programmed into their DNA, and they might never grow bigger then 4 inches, even in a larger lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gulfman 01-20-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Transplanting fish from one body of water to another could get you in trouble if caught

RavYak 01-20-2017 08:48 PM

Obviously Brandon is talking a theoretical situation with approval by AEP...

You catching any good size ones Sundance or just small guys? If they were a good size I would probably drive down from Edmonton lol.

Jack&7 01-20-2017 09:54 PM

Wish I could....but gotta work this weekend. Good to meet some new faces last weekend. Good luck out there!

Brandonkop 01-20-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavYak (Post 3448792)
Obviously Brandon is talking a theoretical situation with approval by AEP...

You catching any good size ones Sundance or just small guys? If they were a good size I would probably drive down from Edmonton lol.

Thanks RavYak I was of course talking about fisheries taking advantage of stunted fisheries and transplanting to other fished out fisheries such as pigeon lake for example and others. This is a practice used in other provinces and the United states. And the question about genetic drift with stunting does not occur. Fish growth depends more of habitat and food availability than genetics. If you don't believe me read about Idaho stocking stunted perch in cascade lake which is now growing perch to nearly three pounds.

gube 01-21-2017 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonkop (Post 3448888)
Thanks RavYak I was of course talking about fisheries taking advantage of stunted fisheries and transplanting to other fished out fisheries such as pigeon lake for example and others. This is a practice used in other provinces and the United states. And the question about genetic drift with stunting does not occur. Fish growth depends more of habitat and food availability than genetics. If you don't believe me read about Idaho stocking stunted perch in cascade lake which is now growing perch to nearly three pounds.

It has been done in the past. Perch from Mons lake were transplanted into Kaduk lake (north of Bellis) but unfortunately it was not successful and they did not survive the winter.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=Bellis

Sundancefisher 01-21-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonkop (Post 3448888)

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterninja (Post 3448783)
Wow, I'm surprised you haven't been roasted on this thread for even suggesting such an illegal activity. By the way I agree that it might be a good idea.
I have to wonder, however, that once perch have "stunted" for a certain amount of time if it is now programmed into their DNA, and they might never grow bigger then 4 inches, even in a larger lake.

Studies show if you place stunted perch in a lake with food they start growing again.

I have suggested this the F&W in the past however they saw issues.

I could see great benefit stocking the decorative ponds along stony trail. Could provide some value to residents.

Sundancefisher 01-21-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack&7 (Post 3448848)
Wish I could....but gotta work this weekend. Good to meet some new faces last weekend. Good luck out there!

Gonna finish re-grouting my shower today if possible. Tomorrow more likely fishing.

BStillie58 01-21-2017 04:05 PM

How did the shower turn out today?

Are we catching them sundance jumbos tomorrow?

Sundancefisher 01-21-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BStillie58 (Post 3449483)
How did the shower turn out today?

Are we catching them sundance jumbos tomorrow?

PM sent

Finished grouting. Caught 30 perch after 2:30.