Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   rock dont roll (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415886)

WayneChristie 10-01-2022 09:23 AM

rock dont roll

3 Attachment(s)
I hit the river last night, the water was even lower than last weekend by a couple feet Id have to say. fishing was dead, but I almost tripped over this piece of sandstone, the setting sun really brought out the details. It looks to me like a spine, but Im usually wrong :bad_boys_20: its usually under water so i havent seen it before.

barbless 10-01-2022 09:34 AM

You might have a Dino stone there. Wonder where the other half is?

WayneChristie 10-01-2022 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbless (Post 4563878)
You might have a Dino stone there. Wonder where the other half is?

still asleep. oh, the rock :bad_boys_20: probably pushed down by the ice, its sitting pretty much on an old coal mine too

urban rednek 10-01-2022 12:36 PM

From the photos, that looks like an impression or a track rather than fossilized bone; don't see a difference in the material of the cross section. Definitely cool, and should be shown to the proper authorities for evaluation. It may lead to something bigger, which could be investigated while the water is low.

Grizzly Adams1 10-01-2022 02:05 PM

Stab in the dark, edge of a fossilized fern leaf ?

Grizz

walking buffalo 10-01-2022 08:22 PM

Fossilized crack.

Stinky Buffalo 10-02-2022 12:34 PM

rock dont roll

I recognize that.

It’’s part of a Neanderthal bump board.

kodiakken 10-02-2022 04:32 PM

Somebody had to replace a prop!

I’d rather be outdoors 10-02-2022 04:40 PM

Tough to say, wonder if it eroded a bit due to current and is riffles carved out of the sandstone.

Walleyedude 10-03-2022 07:43 AM

Doesn't look like a fossil/bone to me. It looks fractured, the ridges are likely due to it preferentially breaking along sedimentary structures - ripples/bedding planes. Hard to tell from the pictures though.

WayneChristie 10-03-2022 08:41 AM

I sent the pics to Tyrrell to get an answer. I was on a different river yesterday and found a dinosaur bone, I believe about 10 feet from my chair :sHa_shakeshout: just a small piece but I sent them photos too to see if Im right.

Stinky Buffalo 10-03-2022 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4564471)
I sent the pics to Tyrrell to get an answer. I was on a different river yesterday and found a dinosaur bone, I believe about 10 feet from my chair :sHa_shakeshout: just a small piece but I sent them photos too to see if Im right.

Looking forward to hear what they say!

WayneChristie 10-03-2022 10:48 AM

stone bone?

4 Attachment(s)
pretty sure on this 1, but then I always am and usually wrong :bad_boys_20: still fun hunting even with only 1 good eye. I just have to look harder! I find a lot of old bison bones, even thousands of years old they are still bone. this piece looks a lot like one but its definitely petrified. with the rivers so frikkin low Im going to go back and do some gravel bar walking this week, maybe I can even find more ammonite :sHa_shakeshout:.

WayneChristie 10-03-2022 06:49 PM

reply already

Got a reply from Tyrrell I will post it. I certainly learn how little I know but it really adds to the interest along with the fishing :sHa_shakeshout:
Hello Wayne,

Thank you for your report. It is through public reports like this that important fossil discoveries are made each year. From the images you sent of the large block, I cannot see any fossil material. The stepwise fracturing is probably just a natural occurrence of how the block is breaking and eroding along some weak planes in the block. As for the second piece you found along the Oldman River, from the images, this looks like it is a piece of ironstone, which is a common pseudofossil. There is no bone texture that can be seen from the image. A pseudofossil is a natural object that may be mistaken for a fossil. To learn more about common pseudofossils and how to identify their actual fossil counterparts, check out our blog post:

https://royaltyrrellmuseum.wpcomstag...fossil-or-not/

walking buffalo 10-04-2022 05:16 PM

I really like the idea of it being a prop wound. :scared:

So it is a Fossilized crack.

Any prizes Wayne?

Walleyedude 10-04-2022 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneChristie (Post 4564634)
From the images you sent of the large block, I cannot see any fossil material. The stepwise fracturing is probably just a natural occurrence of how the block is breaking and eroding along some weak planes in the block.

Still got it. :)