Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Moose Tongue (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=391009)

bushlover 11-25-2020 09:52 PM

Moose Tongue

Searched the recipe thread but couldn't find anything.
I was planning on cooking moose tongue last year had I been successful but I wasn't. Buddy of mine arrowed one yesterday so I have one to try. Heard they are quite good and wondering if anyone has done one up. Have read just boil it up, skin it and good to go. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any pointers

Au revoir, Gopher 11-25-2020 10:19 PM

I use the tongue as 'lunch meat'. In a pan, enough water to almost cover the tongue, slice up an onion and throw it in, toss in a few juniper berries. Simmer until the tongue is cooked. Cool. Slice thinly, make a sandwich... enjoy. If you don't like the rough texture of the surface, skin it.

ARG

KegRiver 11-25-2020 10:25 PM

The way I learned to do them was to boil until cooked.
The peal off the hide that covers the tongue.

Next we slice it thin like thin cucumber slices, then pickle.

I don't have the pickle mixture handy but I'm sure any meat pickle recipie would work well enough.

I love it as a sandwich filler.

Au revoir, Gopher 11-25-2020 10:31 PM

Pickled... I must try that! Thanks.

ARG

fishnguy 11-25-2020 10:43 PM

Something like this:

1 moose tongue
2 bay leaves
500 ml water
6 whole cloves
15 ml salt
1 onion, chopped
1 ml pepper
65 ml chopped celery
Wash tongue and place in a saucepan. Add all ingredients and simmer for 3 hours until tender. Plunge tongue in cold water and remove skin. Strain liquid and pour over tongue. Chill in a bowl. Slice on an angle. Serve 6 people.

Can’t say I follow the quantities per se. I also add thyme and other spices sometimes. If you search honest-food.net, which is an excellent site for all kinds of game recipes, there should be some with the tongue as well.

Pickled tongue sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip, Keg. I will try it when I get a tongue.

4thredneck 11-26-2020 05:29 AM

Put it in a pot with an old shoe and cover with water, simmer for 5 hours. When the time is up pour the water in the sink and dump the rest in the garbage. Sorry couldn’t resist my mother always made us eat tongue, was never a fan.

Au revoir, Gopher 11-26-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher (Post 4275458)
Pickled... I must try that! Thanks.

ARG

I was thinking about this after I posted it and had a very old memory dredged up.

My mother used to like pickled tongue, but it wasn't sliced up and pickled like Keg described, it was the whole tongue floating in a jar. I used to joke she kept it as an appetite suppressant (I would open the fridge door, see that and lose my appetite :)). It looked like something from a biology lab.

ARG

Au revoir, Gopher 11-26-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4275464)
[... ] Strain liquid and pour over tongue. Chill in a bowl. Slice on an angle. [...]

When you chill it, does the liquid gel?

ARG

Arctic 11-26-2020 02:21 PM

Fishinguy has provided basically what we did for 30 years in camp. Most of the clients that were tongue eaters thought it was great sliced thin with mustard, salt and pepper, and a touch of horseradish!

antlercarver 11-26-2020 07:21 PM

Moose tongue

Best part of the moose!

fishnguy 11-26-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher (Post 4275695)
When you chill it, does the liquid gel?

ARG

Not that I remeber and pretty sure it doesn’t. I have not done one for a while, aside from a cow tongue we cooked just a few days ago. The whole thing was eaten right away though and I put the broth to the freezer. Cow tongue is much fattier than moose/elk though. I also always strain the broth through a paper towel, which not only takes all “impurities” out, but also some fat.

6.5 shooter 11-27-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher (Post 4275451)
I use the tongue as 'lunch meat'. In a pan, enough water to almost cover the tongue, slice up an onion and throw it in, toss in a few juniper berries. Simmer until the tongue is cooked. Cool. Slice thinly, make a sandwich... enjoy. If you don't like the rough texture of the surface, skin it.

ARG

That is the way we did beef tongue as well... had to be cooled and skinned. Pig was the same. Never tried pickled...that was for the pigs feet. One of the most memorable meals I ever had was chicken feet at the local colony.... delicious

fishnguy 11-27-2020 12:32 PM

^ Chicken feet are delicious. Now that stock will go gel like in no time!

walking buffalo 11-27-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4276329)
^ Chicken feet are delicious. Now that stock will go gel like in no time!

Now you're talkin' my language!

Baba's homemade chicken feet noodle soup. :sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks, now I have to go shoppin in China town for some feet.

fishnguy 11-27-2020 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking buffalo (Post 4276361)
Now you're talkin' my language!

Baba's homemade chicken feet noodle soup. :sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks, now I have to go shoppin in China town for some feet.

Lol. I’d eat some right now! Don’t know of any places a guy can buy some around my neck of the woods. Sad.

Surly 11-27-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishnguy (Post 4276503)
Lol. I’d eat some right now! Don’t know of any places a guy can buy some around my neck of the woods. Sad.

The farmers markets in Edmonton and Calgary have chicken feet.

As for the ungulate tongue - try dunking it into ice water immediately after cooking, the skin will easily peal off.

Slice at an angle, about a quarter inch thick. Mix mayo, chopped garlic, horseradish and hot sauce in the proportions of your choice as a topping. Put a little bit of it onto each slice of the tongue and enjoy!