Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for a guide for a documentary (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=419748)

qanda 02-03-2023 07:00 PM

Looking for a guide for a documentary

Hi everyone

Here goes my first post.
I am making a documentary on invasive species in Alberta. I was hoping someone on here could help me find a guide near Calgary that would be willing to let me tag along on a wild boar hunt to collect some footage.

35 whelen 02-03-2023 07:03 PM

I don't know about Southern Alberta maybe they're easier to hunt but they're pretty tough animals to hunt in the wild in Northern Alberta good luck

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

marky_mark 02-03-2023 07:08 PM

Great first post

If you’re doing a documentary on invasive species, the last one I would try and get footage of is a wild boar in alberta. There’s a lot of other ones that would be a better choice and that are doing far more damage than wild boars

qanda 02-03-2023 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4606972)
Great first post

If you’re doing a documentary on invasive species, the last one I would try and get footage of is a wild boar in alberta. There’s a lot of other ones that would be a better choice and that are doing far more damage than wild boars

I really am open to suggestions if you could point me in a direction. I chose the wild boar because I thought it would make for the most interesting footage.

crazy_davey 02-03-2023 07:16 PM

Feral horses on the eastern slopes? Don’t need a guide to find those…

wind drift 02-03-2023 07:16 PM

Go for Prussian carp. So invasive, they must be engineered by aliens.

marky_mark 02-03-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qanda (Post 4606976)
I really am open to suggestions if you could point me in a direction. I chose the wild boar because I thought it would make for the most interesting footage.

Wild boars are essentially non existant
The wild horse problem would be a good one
Same with the Prussian carp

Smokinyotes 02-03-2023 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4606981)

Or Liberals, they have been invading Calgary and Edmonton more and more all the time.:)

marky_mark 02-03-2023 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinyotes (Post 4606982)
Or Liberals, they have been invading Calgary and Edmonton more and more all the time.:)

Lol
Open season on them too

qanda 02-03-2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4606981)

I must admit I'm not much of an outdoorsman. Would there be an easy way for me to tell the difference between feral horses and domesticated ones?

As for the Prussian carp, while it would make a good talking point in the doc I need something that is easier to film with the resources I currently have. I think I have to look at land animals so that I can capture their environmental impact on camera (crop destruction, etc.).

freeride 02-03-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qanda (Post 4606991)
I must admit I'm not much of an outdoorsman. Would there be an easy way for me to tell the difference between feral horses and domesticated ones?

As for the Prussian carp, while it would make a good talking point in the doc I need something that is easier to film with the resources I currently have. I think I have to look at land animals so that I can capture their environmental impact on camera (crop destruction, etc.).

If your from Calgary head out to McLean and you will find some feral horses.

roper1 02-03-2023 08:05 PM

Which University are you affiliated with ?

huntinstuff 02-03-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 4606979)

This.

You want to envoke every argument, delusion, romance, science, fact and fiction? This is your topic. It's real, it's an issue and it's all there for you.

marky_mark 02-03-2023 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roper1 (Post 4606998)
Which University are you affiliated with ?

This for one
Second who’s funding your documentary?
Third the feral horses would be your best bet
They are pretty easy to tell.
The feral horses are the ones that you will probably hit with your vehicle when your driving to go find them
Go to nordegg and head north
Can’t miss them

Savage Bacon 02-03-2023 08:36 PM

There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Scopithorne 02-03-2023 08:44 PM

Well invasive species would be a good topic to bring to light. In my opinion I'd love to see one done on over predation and the effects on the wildlife as it may currently be one of the biggest issues faced by wildlife in the province..

C&C Outdoors 02-03-2023 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Bacon (Post 4607007)
There is also the two legged cougar that I just heard this morning on the radio are invading Home Depot lumber aisles looking for unsuspecting prey. Maybe someone doing some home renovations would let you tag along?

Lol, exactly!

sns2 02-03-2023 08:53 PM

Quote:

Bahahaha:sHa_shakeshout:

pikergolf 02-03-2023 09:41 PM

Quote:

I always carry wine when I go there. If cornered pull out the wine, make sure the cougar sees it and set it down between you. Slowly back out, don't turn your back, but most times you will get out without incident.

Dewey Cox 02-03-2023 10:23 PM

The special areas are over run with unicorn.

Trochu 02-03-2023 11:05 PM

I think you're going to have a tough go finding wild hogs in Alberta.

Buckhead 02-04-2023 12:26 AM

When I was younger I think I spotted a few at certain establishments right around closing time. :scared0018:

Grizzly Adams1 02-04-2023 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_davey (Post 4606979)

X2, guaranteed to make you famous. :lol:

Grizz

Phil McCracken 02-04-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckhead (Post 4607054)
When I was younger I think I spotted a few at certain establishments right around closing time. :scared0018:

Prussian Tarts?...

And I agree with the feral horses. Just drive West of Sundre and you will find them...:)

EZM 02-04-2023 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckhead (Post 4607054)

My experience has been going to sleep with foxes and waking up with hogs. Things get a little blurry in the late hours .....:)

Phil McCracken 02-04-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZM (Post 4607210)
My experience has been going to sleep with foxes and waking up with hogs. Things get a little blurry in the late hours .....:)

You pig!...:sHa_shakeshout:

Kinda like the old song..."Girls look better at closing time"...:)

Twisted Canuck 02-04-2023 05:14 PM

I do so love the welcome that people get here posting for the first time. The Home Depot cougar, and putting down the bottle of wine while backing away without breaking eye contact....bahahahah

Classic AO

qanda 02-04-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marky_mark (Post 4607004)
This for one
Second who’s funding your documentary?
Third the feral horses would be your best bet
They are pretty easy to tell.
The feral horses are the ones that you will probably hit with your vehicle when your driving to go find them
Go to nordegg and head north
Can’t miss them

I never said I was affiliated with a university. But in the interest of transparency, I will say I am a university student working on creating a website about the importance of biodiversity in Alberta's ecosystems. This project is not part of a scientific or ecological study. I do not receive funding from anyone. The resources I use are contributed by myself or by the two other students working with me on this project. My particular interest is the role "balance" plays in an ecosystem, and through the filming, I am looking to understand how invasive species can upset that balance.

Sorry for any confusion.

Like I said, I am open to suggestions on this topic. I hope to find potential resources or people I should speak to who are affected when this balance is disturbed. They need to be accessible enough that I can collect audio and video. But mostly I wanted to hear what outdoorsmen think is important in this balance and what you all would like to see explored. I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Does anyone have any stories they could tell me about this? Or issues they would like to see investigated or discussed?

roper1 02-04-2023 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qanda (Post 4607309)
I never said I was affiliated with a university. But in the interest of transparency, I will say I am a university student working on creating a website about the importance of biodiversity in Alberta's ecosystems. This project is not part of a scientific or ecological study. I do not receive funding from anyone. The resources I use are contributed by myself or by the two other students working with me on this project. My particular interest is the role "balance" plays in an ecosystem, and through the filming, I am looking to understand how invasive species can upset that balance.

Sorry for any confusion.

Like I said, I am open to suggestions on this topic. I hope to find potential resources or people I should speak to who are affected when this balance is disturbed. They need to be accessible enough that I can collect audio and video. But mostly I wanted to hear what outdoorsmen think is important in this balance and what you all would like to see explored. I hope this clarifies things a bit.
Does anyone have any stories they could tell me about this? Or issues they would like to see investigated or discussed?

The forum is subject to the occasional passerby trying to cause a little drama.

Thanks for the clarification. Best of luck with the website!

-JR- 02-04-2023 08:59 PM

I can't remember but are you not supposed to lay down and play dead if you see a two legged cougar . I heard they will come and play with you until one of you is all played out then they will go home .
If I am wrong ,please don't think I am a wild pig like most men are .