Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum

Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/index.php)
-   Hunting Discussion (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many hunters in Canada? (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88022)

Muskeg 04-05-2011 08:14 PM

How many hunters in Canada?

I've been trying to find this data but its becoming unnerving at best.. does anyone have any idea how many registered hunters there were last year and maybe even broken down by province? Thank you if anyone can help.

Tundra Monkey 04-06-2011 10:46 AM

I'll start a list:

:sHa_shakeshout:

222rem 04-06-2011 11:26 AM

:sHa_shakeshout:

Tracker34 04-06-2011 11:31 AM

:):character0110:

Tundra Monkey 04-06-2011 02:24 PM

OK...seriously Muskeg, I don't think you will get an exact number.

You can get an exact number of hunting licence holders if you contact the correct Govt. Dept. in each Province and Territory. Here in the NWT it is the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR).

This will only take into account the actual licenced hunters.....there is a very large portion of our hunting population that is not required to be licensed that will be impossible to account for.

tm

coyotekiller 04-06-2011 04:53 PM

4 :):sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver 04-06-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey (Post 896323)
OK...seriously Muskeg, I don't think you will get an exact number.

You can get an exact number of hunting licence holders if you contact the correct Govt. Dept. in each Province and Territory. Here in the NWT it is the Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR).

This will only take into account the actual licenced hunters.....there is a very large portion of our hunting population that is not required to be licensed that will be impossible to account for.

tm

That information is online, or used to be. But as you said, there are thousands of hunters that do not need licenses. Treaty, Metis, poachers or underage hunters for example.

There is also a host of farmers ext. that own guns but seldom if ever hunt.
They use guns to deal with problem wildlife, some of which are animals others would have to buy a license in order to hunt.

The best one could hope for is a ballpark figure. As I recall, the Trudeau government did the research and came up with a figure of 6 million gun owners. At the time they stated that they believed that the there were a lot more then that.

When Chretien set out to impose gun control on us he claimed that there were only 3 million gun owners in Canada.
I did some research on the subject at that time and found that there had been approximately 3 million hunting licenses sold Canada wide in 1993.
Keep in mind that this figure did not include those who did not have to or would not for whatever reason, buy a license.

Muskeg 04-06-2011 11:03 PM

thanks guys for a little laugh and a ball park estimate even though it is dated.

222rem 04-07-2011 12:27 AM

Some U.S.of A. hunting stats.

■ A hunter’s best friend is his dog and they show it—hunters spend $605 million on hunting dogs, well more than the $513 million skiers spend on ski equipment.
■ Each year hunters spend more money on food for hunting trips than Americans spend on Domino’s pizza. Business generated by hunters is often the lifeblood of rural communities.
■ Over a half million jobs in America are supported by hunters. That’s more jobs than the combined employees of all the top U.S. based airlines including American, United, Delta, Northwest, Continental, US Airways, Southwest, Alaska Air and American West.
■ The $2.4 billion in annual federal income-tax money generated by hunters’ spending could cover the annual paychecks of 100,000 troops. That’s 8 divisions, 143 battalions, 3,300 platoons and some major money.
Source: Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation

Still working on Canadian Statistics .

222rem 04-07-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskeg (Post 895372)
I've been trying to find this data but its becoming unnerving at best.. does anyone have any idea how many registered hunters there were last year and maybe even broken down by province? Thank you if anyone can help.

Best I can do for now.

The Nature-Loving Canadians

It seems that hunting in Canada is a national pastime that runs in the blood. A significant survey held in 1996 assessed the nature and wildlife affinity of about 20 million Canadians representing approximately 85% of the population from the ages of 15 and older. Nature-related activities were placed at a premium, with a total of 1.5 billion days devoted to nature trips and taking part in activities like recreational fishing and hunting.

In 1996, approximately one in 20 Canadian citizens pursued game in the Canadian forests. With a high rate of interest in hunting, Canadians who actively hunted took an average of 12.7 hunting trips annually, with 16.9 days each year that the average participant spent going on out on hunts.

Hunting in Canada is considered such a popular pastime that in 1996, annual expenditures for these types of activities alone were estimated to reach almost $11 billion.

The hunting industry in Canada is a massive one that helps power its tourism and the economy. To provide constant supply for this countrywide, and worldwide, obsession for hunting game, Canada maintains various nature preserves and sanctuaries to protect big game and small game animals, and thousands of species of game fowl, as well as the wild habitats that sustain them.

kayaker 04-07-2011 11:41 AM

Just shy 105 000 licences were sold in AB in 2010, thats about 2.8% of the provincial population and lower than I expected for AB.

Of course, as pointed out, licences sales do not reflect f ALL the people who hunted in 2010.

Would you think other provinces have similar per capita rates of hunters?

Of course the easiest way is to just email provncial authorities.

KegRiver 04-07-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 897457)
Just shy 105 000 licences were sold in AB in 2010, thats about 2.8% of the provincial population and lower than I expected for AB.

Of course, as pointed out, licences sales do not reflect f ALL the people who hunted in 2010.

Would you think other provinces have similar per capita rates of hunters?

Of course the easiest way is to just email provncial authorities.

That's about what I would expect.

I do know that many people have given up hunting since the gun registry came into effect. Both of my brothers for instance. They say it is simply too costly and too much hassle now.

I know two other people who gave their guns away rather then risk getting caught with unregistered firearms. Whether they ever hunted I do not know.

My guess is that right now at least half of those who hunt every year, do not need or will not buy a license.

Ironic isn't it. Foreign hunters can hunt our wildlife easier then we can.
They don't need to go through all the hassle of getting a PAL and registering every gun they own. We do.

LongBomber 04-08-2011 05:57 PM

Here is a link to a report from stats BC, from 2005. Gives you some good numbers on the last three pages. And the total number of hunters was somewhere in the first 5 pages. Of course you are missing the groups previous posters have talked about.

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/bus_stat/busind/fish/wildlife.pdf

matt 270WSM 04-08-2011 07:18 PM

there are 5 in our household

h&t 01-03-2014 10:19 AM

http://www.ec.gc.ca/reom-mbs/default...n&n=C9046964-1

grinr 01-03-2014 10:35 AM

New Brunswick these days has approx 70,000 licenced hunters,way down from a high of over 130,000 mid 80's when deer populations were at an all-time high,and prior to the perfect storm of fur prices crashing,a population explosion of coyotes,deer numbers crashing,and the intro of the Gun Registry in the 90's.
NB population is <800,000?

Winch101 12-10-2014 06:56 PM

Number of Hunters in Canada

As of 2012 , 5 per cent of Canadians Nationwide hunt
So about a million and a half .
But declining .

http://www.ec.gc.ca/reom-mbs/default...n&n=CFB6F561-1

wildside2014 12-10-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muskeg (Post 895372)

I can tell you a prominent outdoor tv networks research states theres 1.4 million registered hunters in canada

CNP 12-10-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildside2014 (Post 2653603)
I can tell you a prominent outdoor tv networks research states theres 1.4 million registered hunters in canada

That = 4%

Big Sky 12-10-2014 09:53 PM

Don't forget to factor in the guys who count twice.

You know, they hold an AB license and one in NB or NL. :)

Deemoss 12-10-2014 10:02 PM

if i remember well, when i did my hunting course in 07, the guys at aheia said that about 7.5% of the population where hunters and nearly an equal number anti hunting...
can't remember if that was nation wide or province wide though, but i'd guess nation wide... if it was provincial i would think the number of hunters would be much higher than 7.5 % in AB...

if you find accurate updated figures, i'd appreciate it if you can share ... it would be good to know..

thx

grinr 12-10-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deemoss (Post 2653715)
if i remember well, when i did my hunting course in 07, the guys at aheia said that about 7.5% of the population where hunters and nearly an equal number anti hunting...
can't remember if that was nation wide or province wide though, but i'd guess nation wide... if it was provincial i would think the number of hunters would be much higher than 7.5 % in AB...

if you find accurate updated figures, i'd appreciate it if you can share ... it would be good to know..

thx

Nowhere's near 7% in AB....just over 100,000/2.8% posted previously(2010).
Not too surprising considering 60% of population lives in 2 major cities?

mox72 12-11-2014 05:26 AM

Here in Ontario the OFAH website claims that we have 450,000 hunters in the province (3.3%). I also hear all the time that the amount of people enrolling in the hunter education/PAL programs is increasing every year.